Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

i've had some great news and some puzzling news re my mot. Straight through barring 2 bulbs and a corroded brake hose which is an absolute result. Not counting wipers or no spray but i knew about them and have replacements and a guide from someone on clearing out the valve on the washer system...

Trouble is, i've had a horrible clicking / cracking / clonking for a little while now, seemingly front drivers side and did assume it was the cv joint. clunks on pulling off and breaking, clicks in a straight line and is wheel speed related, and pretty much stops once the brakes are applied.

Had it sorned for the month until i could afford the work, thought i'd let the mot dudes tell me the prob and then go off and fix but alas they havent. Only thing on the advisory that might be a culprit was 'anti roll bar bushes split' - would this cause the issues? difficult / expensive to do yourself?

Noise is pretty loud and embarrasing! originally thought CV but its not come up and it ticks in straight lines as well as cornering and having brakes applied helps... any ideas from you lovely people?

Cheers!

emotions kinda :) :cry: :confused: :cool: :thumbs: thats the alfa rollercoaster for you!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no doesnt come through at all. in a straight line the ticking is audible and on a relatively flat road its a rattlyclunkgrind and trying to go from memory after only driven it to the MOT centre and back in the last month it squeaks from the front as if wishbone bushes but it had a new wishbone last mot and nothing came up on this mot... off to buy a trolley jack tonight so i can get it up at the weekend :wow: as i should just get stuck in and discover the full extent of the problem. Sticking my head in the sand and been hoping something minor like disc shouldering / pad movement / small animal stuck to the caliper but more likely not. What effect would split anti roll bar bushes have on the ride / noise? do you just buy the whole anti roll bar for 30 odd quid (alt autos) or replace bushes specifically?

loving the cobalt blue alex!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would consider the inner CV joint. Not a common fault but I doubt it is a suspension component or it would have been found at MOT and it would not necessarily just happen when car is rolling.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i might have just got lucky, lucky :cheese: i had the drivers wheel off at the weekend to have a look around - didnt have time to take anything off, just the caliper bolts - decided i couldnt be arsed taking the solid pipe off and thus having to bleed etc as i was on my own and well was just feeling a bit lazy :cool: anyway, took it into the MOT centre this morning and no grinding/ cracking / ticking noises..... i'm thinking after a major oil cooler pipe leak that covered all that side with oil and made gravel stick to every bit of the underside it may have been some kind of gravel within the caliper - the inside of the disk is worn very weirdly - like the ripples of a pond when you drop something in, not scored as such just deep ripples. After the retest she'll be off the road till the end of the month i think so i'm going to have the caliper off and cleaned so here's to a self fixing 100% reliable alfa :wow:

ok we wont count the oil leak, or the blowing exhaust or the split roll bar bushes or the door strap or the airbag light or the imminent cambelt change or the heavy clutch or... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts