Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making my way home this evening along the 18 miles of country roads between my work and my home in my GT, I was pulled over by an unmarked Police car. Didn't think I was speeding so assumed maybe a back light had gone or similar !.

The conversation then went "that was some fancy driving sir, weaving about all over the place been drinking today have we ?". At this point I was looking a bit shocked no doubt, and explained I was on my way home from work in a deliberately clear voice. The Policeman then laughed and said "actually, don't worry, I know exactly what you were doing, you were avoiding all the divots and manhole covers in the road weren't you!.... my brother had one of these cars and had to replace his suspension with Bilstens in the end. I'd advise the same so you don't go around looking like a drunk driver". So we then had a bit of chat before he wished me a nice weekend and drove off.

The rest of my journey home was spent trying to drive 'straight' and realising that I had been 'caught with pants down' and driving in a certain manner because of the 'crashy' suspension.

So...... any tips please.... do I have to go the expense of replacing the entire suspension to improve the ride?.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
:lol: I do similar on my route home - more to do with some of the shocking state of the roads I use than the particularly hard & bouncy suspension in a GT but it does have an effect. The route was the same in my previous 147 and the bumps weren't any worse.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hello A1f4,

I'm afraid you are in for a change of springs at least, but I rather guess it depends upon your availiable budget; ideally change both your dampers and springs, and the front and rear anti - roll bars. And then of course, while you have all of these off, power flex bush replacement, change any worn out wishbones, consider if you want to add any strut braces, front upper, front lower, rear upper, etc.
And then you have to chose which springs/ dampers you want ; non adjustable ( Koni FSD are the best of those in my opinion, although I recall something about a bad batch of those, so be aware), adjustable ( massive choice there, from simple stiffness adjustment to genuine race units with variable rebound adjustment). Match your springs to your dampers; race builders will decide on their own poundage rates of springs and mix them up with dampers, but will then spend a lot of time testing, corner weighting and tweaking before they arrive at the characteristics they are aiming for, and I'm guessing you probably aren't heading down that road.

To cut a long story, since I wasn't planning on going circuit racing ( at least, not in that car!), I went for the following spec for my 156 jtd: Eibach anti roll bars, Koni sport lowered springs, Koni FSD dampers, power flex bushes, upper front strut brace, lower rear strut brace. I think it is nigh on perfect ( for a road car), since it is still a comfortable distance eater, but is more than capable of embarrassing far more expensive vehicles on the twisty bits. If you shop around a similar spec for your car will probably cost you roughly £1200 or so. This will increase if go for adjustable shocks. Then you'll want an LSD....and better brakes...and a remap.....etc, etc!!!

Good luck, remember a good way to end up with a small pile of money .....is to start with a large one and begin modifying your car! So decide what spec you want, and buy carefully!

Best of luck

Hope that helps!

Cheerio
The Captain::thumbs:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The damping on my old GT was quite shocking on 18" wheels, whilst the ride height particularly at the back always bugged me.

Great story. When even the law are pulling you over telling you to modify your car, surely it's a sign?!

If you plan on keeping the GT for a while get onto it!

Alfisti.net is your friend. Great range of products, keenly priced, fast delivery and great customer service from Tim. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I pulled in exactly the same way a few years ago, they thought I was drunk I was playing dodge the pothole.... I didn't get advised to get modding though, just to stop driving like a drunk :lol:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I do the same, it's a style common to GT drivers. The GT Wobble.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 2 cents worth....... Our 147 JTD (on 16 inch wheels) runs between Portsmouth - Winchester (on back roads) 4 x week.
Back in 2010 @ 48K miles I changed all the shocks and springs for Koni FSD's and Eibach Pro springs. This made the ride more sporty and got rid of the floaty feeling exiting undulations in the road.
However the ride was still harsh over poor road surfaces (doing 60+ down same roads became wearing) and the low front scraped over most of the speed humps.
Anyway..... Last week I replace the rear Eibach springs with the old original ones (kept the FSD's) and took it for a run...OMG moment..gone is the harshness and I don't notice any loss of body control. Hooray!!! Took it back home replaced the front Eibach springs with old originals....This didn't make that much difference to be honest' apart from raising the front end so it dosn't scrape over speed humps; back road run is now much more fun and faster not having to slow up and cringe at the poor road surfaces.
In conclusion: FSD's and standard springs are a good compromise for normal road use...Eibach Pro springs OK if you have good roads or drive on motorways.
Got me wondering if any new shock and standard springs would be an inprovement!

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Ha- this made me laugh, A1f4. I now have a pre-set series of wiggles, twists, swerves etc. on my daily commute in order to avoid all the potholes.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I'm on 18's with standard shocks and eibach springs. Its not as crashy as the standard setup, but its got more of a bounce(!) when you're coming out of a hole in the road. looks so much better lowered too.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I'm on 18's with standard shocks and eibach springs. Its not as crashy as the standard setup, but its got more of a bounce(!) when you're coming out of a hole in the road. looks so much better lowered too.
Hi mate - I remember now, we were both having these fitted by John the same week if I recall.

Hope you are as pleased with yours as I am with mine.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
I remember driving through South London in 1990 in a Sprint Green Cloverleaf and was stopped by an unmarked police car because 1) I was weaving all over the place to avoid the potholes etc 2) I was speeding.

Anyway they agreed about the potholes but when I explained "sorry about the speeding but this Alfa is geared up to a certain speed I can't help it" they just laughed and then chatted about the rust issues on the Alfasud range but also how fun the boxer engines were. And that was it, no fine or warning.

Life is sometimes very strange.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Your Police must be honoured ! in Holland you get a fine, no matter what.... the Police has a zero tolerance attitude, the government needs loads of money..... this 'weaving' would have cost you 130 euro !!!!! in Holland

G

·
:lol: Good one.
I was following an Audi A5 with fancy 18"s the other day that was doing the very same thing, avoiding potholes etc.
It did look like a drunk driver attempt too.
It did put a smile on my face as he kept looking in the rear view mirror wandering why I didn't have to do the same with standard 16" teledials and standard Lusso suspension... All with a big sarcastic grin on my face as I passed him when he had to slow right down for a slightly raised bump in the road....

There is a reason why Alfa went with 16"'s... They do know a thing or too about handling or we wouldn't be owning Alfa's with a big smile on our faces would we? ;)

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
:lol: Good one.
I was following an Audi A5 with fancy 18"s the other day that was doing the very same thing, avoiding potholes etc.
It did look like a drunk driver attempt too.
It did put a smile on my face as he kept looking in the rear view mirror wandering why I didn't have to do the same with standard 16" teledials and standard Lusso suspension... All with a big sarcastic grin on my face as I passed him when he had to slow right down for a slightly raised bump in the road....

There is a reason why Alfa went with 16"'s... They do know a thing or too about handling or we wouldn't be owning Alfa's with a big smile on our faces would we? ;)
I keep several sets of alloys for my Spider for that very reason.

The Phase 2 16" five-hole alloys meant for the GTV look good on the Spider and the ride is fine and comfy and perfect for cruising etc. I use the 17" Challenge Zenders for nice summer days or going to a 'show' but the ride is nowhere near as good:confused:

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Your Police must be honoured ! in Holland you get a fine, no matter what.... the Police has a zero tolerance attitude, the government needs loads of money..... this 'weaving' would have cost you 130 euro !!!!! in Holland
To be fair the Sprint was a nice shiny black and actually in very good condition inside and out. For 1990 it was a fun car, and looked good. The two officers genuinely wanted to chat about the Alfa. Different world 1990........

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
LOL....:cheese: great story..... oh god the old Gt suspension utter utter crap.....thing is once you sort it out the car is an absolute dream....But don't tell everyone its a great secret this little coupe... :)

Damien.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
LOL....:cheese: great story..... oh god the old Gt suspension utter utter crap.....thing is once you sort it out the car is an absolute dream....But don't tell everyone its a great secret this little coupe... :)

Damien.
So how would you sort it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts