Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a chat to my mechanic in regards to more power in my car (TS spider) and he said it is a lot cheaper to just buy a V6, and then he said that the 3.2 is the one to get. I said i didnt like the front and i prefer the phase 2 front.

He then said well what you can do is wait til a 3.2 Spider comes up for sale, buy it, we'll swap the bumper and bonnet and front quarter panels if need be, put your GTA wheels on the 3.2 and have that as your car. Then put the hood, bumper and front qtr panels on my TS (so it looks updated) and sell that.
Can anyone find a flaw in this plan?

·
Registered
458 Posts
its possible, ppl have done the opposite>< updated a phase 2 front to a phase 3...

i would imagine that it would just depend on if you have the dollars....

IMO the idea sounds good.,.. i really like all the features of the phase 3... and was not that keen on the front...

but now., it has kinda grown on me... and i would love to own a phase 3 GTV one day.

·
Registered
38,913 Posts
It is very possible. The bonnet and the bumper and just about the only differences.

It is a shame they didn't sell the 3.2 with the phase 2 front as I prefer it as well. Why Alfa had to mess with perfection I don't know. :p

Although you could buy a 3.0, there isn't a massive difference in performance between the two.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
It is a shame they didn't sell the 3.2 with the phase 2 front as I prefer it as well. Why Alfa had to mess with perfection I don't know. :p
I don't think I could have put it better..............:HAPPY:......:thumbs:

·
Registered
38,913 Posts
Well it was Pininfarina that styled the original GTV and spider, but I don't think it was Pininfarina that restyled it into the phase 3.

Hence the Barry Manilow style nose.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The PIII is the car that appears on the Pininfarina website. Pininfarina | Pininfarina Models Look at a PIII in the flesh first. Being familiar with the old shape makes the new shape look strange (I thought the same based on the photos I had seen). The old shape is showing its age, that nose looks dated where as the PIII looks much crisper. Changing the front to the old style will also de-value the car when you come to re sell it.

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
I also prefer the P2 look over the P3. I think an ultimate Spider would be a 3.2 V6 P3 with the P2 front, plus the Zender body kit as fitted to the GTV Cup models (the Zender kit could also be specified for the Spider from the factory up to 2003). I have seen several Spider P2s with the front and side kit added, and it looks superb.

Another plus about the P3s is that they have ASR - P2s don't have this. Not that you should place too much reliance on this, but nice to know you have it anyway.

·
Banned
2,933 Posts
Oil cooler?

I personally wouldn't do it as it's always better to update a car rather than make it look older.
I recently had a P2 2.0 GTV with a P3 front on, it was only the bonnet & bumper that was changed.
A problem that you will have to overcome is that the 2.0 TS front bumper doesn't have an opening for the air vent for the oil cooler under the offside spotlight. The one under the nearside is cosmetic to keep a balanced look.
Buy a 3.0 which is better looking & goes well enough.

Clive

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
I was having a chat to my mechanic in regards to more power in my car (TS spider) and he said it is a lot cheaper to just buy a V6, and then he said that the 3.2 is the one to get. I said i didnt like the front and i prefer the phase 2 front.

He then said well what you can do is wait til a 3.2 Spider comes up for sale, buy it, we'll swap the bumper and bonnet and front quarter panels if need be, put your GTA wheels on the 3.2 and have that as your car. Then put the hood, bumper and front qtr panels on my TS (so it looks updated) and sell that.
Can anyone find a flaw in this plan?
Well if you are being advised to but a 6cyl to get more power because it is a lot cheaper than trying to wring the power out of a TS fair enough.

Flaw in the plan? It will be rather defeating the object to save money that way, then spend it on changing a P3 3.2 to look like a Ph2 3.0! It will also be a bit of a Frankenstein.

Why not buy just a 3.0 Ph2 and spend the money on uprating the 3.0 to give it 3.2 power?

·
Registered
38,913 Posts
An exhaust and remap on a 3.0 will give it similar performance to a standard 3.2

My Ultimate GTV would be a 3.2 cup, unfortunately they didn't make one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts