Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odly, can't find the answer to this on the Fiat forum, but what is the cambelt change interval for a mk1 sporting 1.2 16v? Alfa ownership has made me very paranoid about such things!

Thanks

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
8yrs or 72k miles:thumbs:

but most dont wait that long, common is 50-60k or 5yrs, i think fiat changed the intervals to 60k or 5 yrs, but didnt pass this on t the customer, just the dealers;):thumbs:

thing is, if the worst does happen it wont damage your engine. FIRE engines are non-interference engines, therefore the valves dont hit the pistons if it does snap:thumbs:

·
Registered
38,930 Posts
The 16V 1.2 FIRE engine is an interferance engine, so if the belt snaps it will bend valves.

The 8V versions are not though.

That reminds me I need to do the one on the Bravo which has the same engine. You are meant to lock the cams like on an Alfa and fit the belt with all of the pistons at the same height in the bores.

There is only one cam pulley which is on the exhaust side, and the inlet cam is connected to it with a gear.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
The 16V 1.2 FIRE engine is an interferance engine, so if the belt snaps it will bend valves.

The 8V versions are not though.

That reminds me I need to do the one on the Bravo which has the same engine. You are meant to lock the cams like on an Alfa and fit the belt with all of the pistons at the same height in the bores.

There is only one cam pulley which is on the exhaust side, and the inlet cam is connected to it with a gear.
DO'H:lol: i thought all fire engines were non interference, ah well, i stand corrected:lol::thumbs:

edit - there super fire engines arnt they, im a prune, i even own one:eek::lol: for some reason i was thinking 8v:rant:

bed time i think, been a long day:lol:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. So we're saying 5 years/60k? I think I did them about 4 years/20k ago. Might be worth doing them.

·
Registered
38,930 Posts
I don't think they are especially prone to snapping.

The waterpump runs from the rear of the belt which is a lot kinder to it than the setup Alfa use on the TS.

My Missus Bravo was last done at 75k and it is now on 122k

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Symonh, came accross you post on FF when I did a google search. You're right, you don't seem to read about so many cambelt failures on the punto so might chance it for the year. i've got a few other things that need attention on the car anyway. Basically I bought the car in 2004 when I left uni, and ran it until 2008. Very reliable in that time. I then kind of lowned it to my sister for 18 months as she had a baby, but didn't have a car. I had just got my 147! They've now bought a 159, so I took it back, as I couldn't let it go to the scrap yard in the sky:cry: It seems to have faired well. Suspension's knocking at the back, so probably due some new arms, and the thermostat's f****d and also there's a few more scratches on there, but otherwise all good. I'll be tackling the stat this weekend. Good practice for the impending stat change on the alfa!

·
Registered
38,930 Posts
I have posted on the FF, I must admit. However I rarely go on there since I was given an unjust infraction.

For posting a for-sale ad in the wrong place they infracted me for it. :lol:

I don't want to be part of a forum like that and asked to have my account deleted but they wouldn't do it for me.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I have posted on the FF, I must admit. However I rarely go on there since I was given an unjust infraction.

For posting a for-sale ad in the wrong place they infracted me for it. :lol:

I don't want to be part of a forum like that and asked to have my account deleted but they wouldn't do it for me.
i was given one too, for arguning with a mod, the threatened to ban me if i didnt stop arguing with, via pm this by the way, so wasnt hurting anyone else, he was a turd, the "copper" one with the red uno, or a white one:confused: anyway, i hardly go on now after that.

my punto is awaiting a new engine:(

·
Registered
38,930 Posts
The engine on the Bravo is in great shape, even at 122k. It doesn't rattle or use oil and goes well for a tiddler.

The rest of the car is quite tidy but there are some worrying signs of rust appearing. Mostly in the floor and on the front subframe. I think it will be ok for a year or two yet though.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh well, look on the bright side, you ended up the alfaowner website with tidy looking 156 and gtv's instead

·
Registered
38,930 Posts
Yep, although I was on here first.

I stumbled on that forum when I bought the missus a Cinquecento sporting. When I had my Fiat coupe I used to use the Fiat Coupe forum which is much better.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys. Bit more help needed please. Car has been running cold, so this morning I changed the stat (also changed 2 years previously). I've flushed the rad, refilled and bled (both valves), topped up anti freeze, basically all as per theHaynes manual and guides on FF. The car is still running cold. It's slightly better than before, but the temp gauge is generally sitting around the 1/4 mark. When bleeding the system, it got to just above 2/3 when idling, when the fan cut in. This seems too early? I'm wondering whether it could be a dodgy temp sensor? Any ideas?

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
38,930 Posts
It is quite likely that the gauge is reading wrong.

However the cooling system is a nightmare to bleed on these engines. When you start it from cold can you hear gurgling from the heater matrix?

It took me several days to get all of the air out of the Bravo. I would run it to work and bleed it when I got there, then do it again when I got home.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
isn't that gurgling a sign of inpending HG failure,which this engine is prone to doing?

mine does it a bit at start up at 3k revs or so, but disappears when warm. I can never seem to get the air out to go away, so I leave it, doesn't seem to do any harm or get worse.

·
Registered
38,930 Posts
isn't that gurgling a sign of inpending HG failure,which this engine is prone to doing?

mine does it a bit at start up at 3k revs or so, but disappears when warm. I can never seem to get the air out to go away, so I leave it, doesn't seem to do any harm or get worse.
I think it can be, but the gurgling only started on ours when I drained the coolant and fitted a new thermostat.

After plenty of bleeding it finally went and the car has been ok for the last 8000 miles so i assume the HG is ok.

If you park the car facing up a hill when you bleed the coolant it can help get more air out.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
I think it can be, but the gurgling only started on ours when I drained the coolant and fitted a new thermostat.

After plenty of bleeding it finally went and the car has been ok for the last 8000 miles so i assume the HG is ok.

If you park the car facing up a hill when you bleed the coolant it can help get more air out.
OK, thx for that, I did a stat change last year, will give it a go this week :thumbs:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't get any gurgling. The fan cut in before half way up the gaue, so I'm hoping the temp dial is not accurate as I'm sure it should kick in just over half way. Could one of you kind folks confirm this is the part I need? Also where and how is it fitted?
Cheers

Shop4Parts

·
Registered
38,930 Posts
That is the correct part for the ECU temp sensor. However I am not sure whether the gauge runs off that sensor or a seperate on on the cylinder head.

I would guess the gauge runs on a different sensor hence why the gauge is reading lower.

Have you got Alfa Diag or Unidiag? If you connect them to the car it will give the coolant temperature as the ECU see's it and that is far more accurate.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Located the red plug behind the thermostat. From what I've read there are several sensors for different thing (ECU, gauge) like you said. Seems the red one is know good for the gauges then. I have AlfaDiag, but I don't think the cable I have is any good for the punto. IIRC the diagnostics port is in the engine, and has about two or three prongs on it.

Thanks for the help. I seem to be getting better help on here than FF. My thread on FF, just turned into a slanging match between a mod and a member on what temperature the car should run at:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts