Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dammit!

I was storming up Hamburger Hill on the A21 (& believe me, my Alfa 166 V6 can storm) when I was punked by a Focus ST.

The trouble with Focusses in that, when they're behind, one cannot tell a fast one from a smelly diesel.

Dammit...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Ah, my sympathies! At least the 164 is now visibly old enough that it's "no disgrace" to get my butt kicked by more recent machinery. The trouble with the 166 is that it still looks relatively modern!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Ahhh the advantages of living in NE Wales, it's just boy racers in their Corsa's and Saxo's with their big noisy exhausts - oh how I love to leave them standing with a roar of Alfa V6 (with induction kit to emphasise the engine sound) :D

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
I haven't driven a 166 3.0, but I did have a 164 3.0 12v for 5 years.
The Focus ST is seriously quick in my book-I drove a 2008 recently.
My brother sells second hand motors and he reckoned it was putting out more than standard.
For a non-race driver like me it felt very quick....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Get a big bike, 600cc plus. Then all cars feel slow and you don't mind getting punked in your alfa. My 166 is just about cruising and the noise it makes. Made myself a homemade induction kit at the weekend with a Generic BMC air filter and some other bits and pieces. Boy does it sound good!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Squibby - would you care to share the details please and maybe a youtube video too?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Squibby - would you care to share the details please and maybe a youtube video too?
Here's a picture. I don't bother with youtube yet unfortunately, so you'll have to imagine what it sounds like.

It uses all standard aftermarket bits an pieces. The filter is a BMC 3 inch cone. A very reputable Italian brand, as good as K&N if not better. The MAF/MAP sensor comes next, it'll fit right inside it so long as you pull a rubber spacer off the end of the MAF.housing. The Jubilee clip holding them both goes around a bracket attached witch I've very neatly bent into the shape I needed. I attached it to the bolt that holds the a bracket connected to the stock air filter housing. I then drilled and tapped one more thread next to it to give it some extra strength and stability. Next comes a standard aftermarket 3 inch hose, two more clips, and a 45degree Plastic (chrome look) 3 inch bend. The Plastic 3 inch bend is just a tad too small to fit cleanly in side the flexible hose on the Alfa, so you have to devise a way to fill the gap. I used a few rounds of Black insulation tape which is hidden, but did the job well. 1 more clip and it all becomes quite stable and fits like a dream. Looks good.

I like the fact I've lost about 2.5kg's of big plastic nonsense resonator, about 500g of plastic tube inside the wing, and another 5kgs of air filter housing. The stock filter and housing looks quite decent, it's just heavy. The replacement items weigh about 1kg only.

You will have to detach the top rad hose and loose a little coolant to get the old filter housing out. You also have to pop off the LH wheel and plastic arch to remove another section of air intake from inside the wing. All in it only cost about 80 pounds, 130 dollars. I'd like a heat shield next, but that's another project.

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've done a similar but much simpler thing on mine, removed the air filter housing and replaced with a generic performance filter from Demon Tweeks, the normal air intake from the wheel arch can be quite simply modified to scoop air in from the front grill, does give a lovely soundtrack even on the 2.5

Doesn't look quite as cool as yours, but sometimes looking standard has it's advantages - "honest officer it's a standard car, I've not changed anything" :cool:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've done a similar but much simpler thing on mine, removed the air filter housing and replaced with a generic performance filter from Demon Tweeks, the normal air intake from the wheel arch can be quite simply modified to scoop air in from the front grill, does give a lovely soundtrack even on the 2.5

Doesn't look quite as cool as yours, but sometimes looking standard has it's advantages - "honest officer it's a standard car, I've not changed anything" :cool:
Did you remove/replace the stock resonator box that connects the stock filter housing to the rubber flexi hose?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yes the focus ST is quick, 2.5 5 pot Volvo T5 lump in them, although it is more fun when you have an old Volvo s40 with the same engine minus a cylinder (T4) that has just as much power as a standard one but less weight! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts