Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed a very slow leak in a front tyre, and sure enough it has a punctured tire wall.

Done less than 3000 miles on the tyres and they are ps2s so not cheap...

Does anyone have any thoughts on replacing just one tyre (rather than the two front ones)? Wear is not too bad on the other front tyre...

Alfa here in Japan reckon replacing one is fine, but I`ve always thought it was a bit dangerous..

·
Registered
30,297 Posts
I was in the same situation in July.
I got a Philips screw through the tyre shoulder on my right rear tyre. 7mm tread left, only 1mm less than new. No choice but to replace.
So I had 8mm tread on the right rear & 7mm tread on the left rear.
That pair are now on the front.

It was bad enough throwing away one nearly new tyre, I couldn't do both.

So I have the same make & version of tyre on all four wheels, but one is slightly younger.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers David C, that is a shame after just one mm.

Still, better than a blow-out at speed...

Did you notice much of a difference with the one new tyre?

·
Registered
30,297 Posts
Did you notice much of a difference with the one new tyre?
Not noticed any difference at all.

If the puncture had been on the front which were about half worn I probably would have replaced both. 8mm one side & 4mm the other could have felt a bit odd. But 8mm & 7mm have been fine.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Noticed a very slow leak in a front tyre, and sure enough it has a punctured tire wall.

Done less than 3000 miles on the tyres and they are ps2s so not cheap...

Does anyone have any thoughts on replacing just one tyre (rather than the two front ones)? Wear is not too bad on the other front tyre...

Alfa here in Japan reckon replacing one is fine, but I`ve always thought it was a bit dangerous..
Ouch.. :(

I wouldn't personally do just the one....

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Unless the other one is getting near replacement period buying two new is just chucking money away, My family has had a few instances most noticably my Mother recently in her Porsche where she punctured one and car still drives handles beautifully since replacement.

There may be a chance to start with he car feels a bit strange but it will be fine when it is worn in.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've had exactly the same as David C - screw in the offside rear tyre. I only replaced the one tyre and it's been fine. Not sure I'd have been so happy if it had been the front though.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts