Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having spent 3.5 hours waiting for a train into work this morning I idled back to my car to discover a sizeable screw had mated itself to the nearside tyre ...

This was accompanied by a constant hissing sound so now running round on the spacesaver - which is very weird and frustrating...

The screw has gone in through a fairly thick piece of outer tread. I've heard about tyres being recoverable / fixable depending on the conditions and severity of damage. Given I felt the 'pop' happened literally 50 yards before I parked the car up (at slow speed) and it was still fully inlfated time I parked up - what are peoples thoughts on trying to get it repaired?

Sorry don't have a photo but just a little reluctant to 'patch' a tyre (even if it could be done) on such a heavy car?

Anyone tried or experienced a repaired tyre under similar conditions - I'm fully expecting to bite the bullet and buy 2 new fronts but interested in seeking more costs effective alternatives all the same?

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
Vehicle maintenance and repair is a major part of my daily workload as a fleet controller for Hertz. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but any puncture on the shoulder of the tyre (i.e. the block of tread between the sidewall and the first circumferential groove) is deemed unrepairable, :( .

I know that there are some tyre establishments out there who might attempt a repair, :tut: , but it would be technically unsafe as this area of the tyre is subject to considerable lateral forces during cornering. The repair (plug or patch) could 'let go' under the stress and you would then experience a rapid deflation (blow-out) - not pleasant, (and neither is the smell from the accompanying 'adrenaline rush' :rolleyes: ). If you were unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident as a result of a failure of this type of repair, and they could prove it to be the cause, you could be on a very sticky wicket with your insurance, :eek: .

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've spent nearly £2000 on tyres in the last year, £600 of which was due to 'unrepairable' punctures. I could cry....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it's been patched by a garage and I'm 'assured' it's safe following tests they've run - not sure whether to be happy about it or otherwise since it's saved me £200 but I'm not totally secure in the knowledge of this having happened.

The hole was the second tread block in and well away from the shoulder / wall - culprit was a 3 inch threaded screw! Still a little nervous about it though I guess the only upside(s) are the tyres don't have a great deal of life left - 4k max? and moreover, 90% of the time, I'm doing 50mph max on the daily commute to work (Yes - I'm trying to convince myself here it's the right way forward!)...

Should I experience some spectacular blowout incident or similar, I'll be sure to let you know... :)

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
The hole was the second tread block in and well away from the shoulder / wall..........
In which case you really have nothing to worry about, :D. A puncture in the central area of the tread, so long as the hole is round and not torn in any way (which from your description of the culprit it should have been OK) is perfectly repairable. Sounds like the job's a good 'un, :thumbs:.

·
Registered
972 Posts
In which case you really have nothing to worry about, :D. A puncture in the central area of the tread, so long as the hole is round and not torn in any way (which from your description of the culprit it should have been OK) is perfectly repairable. Sounds like the job's a good 'un, :thumbs:.
I had a similarly positioned repair successfully done on a previous car. I would think that any reputably tire depot would have to be absolutely certain that it was safe because the repercussions (on them) if it subsequently caused an accident don't bear thinking about.

Is it just me, or are punctures much more common nowadays? Anyone have any theories as to why this might be the case?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Vehicle maintenance and repair is a major part of my daily workload as a fleet controller for Hertz. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but any puncture on the shoulder of the tyre (i.e. the block of tread between the sidewall and the first circumferential groove) is deemed unrepairable, :( .

I know that there are some tyre establishments out there who might attempt a repair, :tut: , but it would be technically unsafe as this area of the tyre is subject to considerable lateral forces during cornering. The repair (plug or patch) could 'let go' under the stress and you would then experience a rapid deflation (blow-out) - not pleasant, (and neither is the smell from the accompanying 'adrenaline rush' :rolleyes: ). If you were unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident as a result of a failure of this type of repair, and they could prove it to be the cause, you could be on a very sticky wicket with your insurance, :eek: .
Would you say this isn't repairable then? Bugger... noticied it whilst washing the car yesterday.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts