Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically, when driving on the motorway a vibration and humming pulses above 60mph. I can only describe it as like driving over the rumble strip for 1.5 seconds and then off for 1.5 seconds and then on again - son on so forth.

I just had it serviced and the bearings apparently are fine. Having said that there are 2 things that has recently been changed:

1. Drive shaft
2. Two new front tyres which werent balanced when I bought it and the steering wheel vibrated like mad which I thought was also the cause for the humming. But now that it is balanced (albeit a very long weight strip, probably >80g on each wheel) and the steering wheel vibration gone, the pulsating vibration from the pedal and noise is still there.

It's doing my head in. Could it be that the tyres installed at the front by the previous owner (just bought this one 2 weeks ago) is absolutely crap?

PS. Off topic Q. My paint code says VR 603, is this the same as 603/B paint code? I am trying to buy a spray paint and I got the option to buy a 603 or a 603/B.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
The weird thing is that it would do it for 1.5 seconds at a time at 1.5 second intervals.

Nothing in the car rotates that slowly. So sounds like some sort of weird resonance thing?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah you're right, its resonating with something. Perhaps I need to get the belts looked at or maybe the suspension. I guess I will just have to wait until it becomes worse and gets obvious where its coming from.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Is it on every road at the same speed, or one road every time?

I've found a couple of patches of the M5 that cause some worrying vibration at >60mph, but everything goes smooth as butter on newly laid road... Also have felt the periodic vibration too... *rumble rumble smooth... rumble rumble smooth...*

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's very observable on the smoother parts of the motorway obviously cuz it gets hidden by the rumbly ones. But its exactly as you are describing!

It's weird cuz I have never noticed this with my previous 147 (yep, this is my second one) :D

Maybe fate is telling me that I should have bought that Brera instead (one of the options, but didn't because it was twice the cost lol)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts