Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I've got a 1.4 MA Giulietta, I've got the car remapped and a new exhaust built.

I'm running at just over 200bhp.

But I can't seem to get enough traction when I pull off the line.

I was racing a Nissan Juke (65 plate) yesterday and off the line I got soo much wheel spin he got a huge head start until my wheel finally gripped the road and I shot in front of him.

my predicament is that I don't want to have to beat people in a race 50 yrds up the road as opposed to smoke them off the line and then never see them again.

What can I do to improve this on pulling away in Dynamic?

I have Goodyear tyres on with A grip rating and 16" alloys.

I haven't had my car lowered or any new suspension put on; would this help?

or would I need a new diff?

I'm not entirely sure; I was hoping someone could help me on this as it's starting to annoy me.

thanks

·
Registered
696 Posts
I also have a 1.4 MA but, with 190bhp for now, 18" wheels, spacers and Blistein B12.
Similar problem here even with brand new tyres on, a diff should help but, try first to balance the clutch/accellerator pedal when ready to go.

Not sure that a 1.4 G is the best car to smoke people off...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it may not be the best car for smoking people off the line but racing people around town it's great.
Just wanted to see if I could get more power to the road from a standing start.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Better clutch control. as soon as your wheels spin you've lost. you need to find the right combination of revs and clutch bite. it wont sound nearly as cool but youll be going a lot faster.

·
Registered
37,490 Posts
The Giulietta has quite basic front suspension compared to cars like the 147 and 156.

Whilst ride and handling are ok it isn't the best setup for traction pulling away. I mentioned it on the first thread I wrote after test driving my G diesel.

I don't think there is much you can do other than making sure the suspension and tyres are good.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
No issues with this, I have the manual QV with 18" wheels and I'm running ditch finder evergreen tyres. Main issue is torque steer for me as I struggle to keep the wheels pointing forwards.

Maybe set off in N mode and switch to D once you've hit 2nd?

All I am saying is this.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sorry, am I missing something; you are having races with other cars through a town? Aren't there special forums for that kind of nonsense?
Agreed as above 'smoking' people off the line. Racing around town. Remind me not to drive around your town and lets hope the police don't read this and get hold of your number plate.

There a time and place to smoke people and race and that's a time you have booked and the place is a race track!!. even if you think your a better driver than Lewis Hamilton around town is not the place to show it.

If you have 200HP then leave it at that, you already know your faster than certain other cars and shouldn't have anything to prove. Our other car is now a 4 year old C Class 6.3 AMG and yes way to much power to be on the road if Im honest but just because I have that much power doesnt mean I need to use it, if I pull up next to most cars at the lights I already know I could beat it off the line so no need to prove it.

·
Registered
767 Posts
its always makes me laugh when people start getting on their high horse when someone mentions they've been getting their foot down.....we all do it! If you're saying you've never sped in a built up area or any public road then quite frankly you're lying to yourself!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wasn't expecting to get this kind of rallying response to me having fun around town and pulling away off the line.

I was purely asking so it could help as and when I wanted to.

And I know I can beat half the people I pull up against but its fun to drive fast occasionally and show off having a faster car.

That's why we're all on this forum, as car enthusiasts and what one person is enthusiastic about with their car may not be the same for someone else.

So a little less criticism and judgement wuld be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
its always makes me laugh when people start getting on their high horse when someone mentions they've been getting their foot down.....we all do it! If you're saying you've never sped in a built up area or any public road then quite frankly you're lying to yourself!
There is a difference between getting your foot down and racing another vehicle on the public road

·
Registered
316 Posts
On a public road - yes.

In a built up area - never knowingly. I'm the guy ahead of you that may get to the limit (or what I perceive to be a safe and legal speed) pretty swiftly, but then :censored: you off by not going any faster.

I'm also the guy who's reported idiots to the police, but having worked in forces police driver training does give me a bit more credibility when doing that. I've yet to catch anyone doing something reckless on dash-cam, but if I do I won't hesitate.

I'm happy to give the OP the benefit of the doubt and assume he's talking about a squirt of excessive acceleration where it's clear and safe to do so, followed by a legal and safe drive. But, I'm not happy to have my enjoyment on the road messed up by other people who think having a laugh has no consequences. The Welsh mountains were great driving roads until Top Gear turned them into a racetrack and North Wales police enforced a zero-tolerance policy to speeding. One idiot who pulls wheelies off the line, no matter how good the control needed to do it, just adds to the hassle other local bikers can get. Too many do it and the police have a crackdown.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
In a built up area - never knowingly. I'm the guy ahead of you that may get to the limit (or what I perceive to be a safe and legal speed) pretty swiftly, but then :censored: you off by not going any faster.
My view exactly. In any 30, 40 or 50 limit you're going to hit the limit so fast there's no point - especially considering the guy next to you wont give two hoots about exceeding the limit - so why get involved if you value your licence

Far better to read the road ahead well combined with good lane choice and it's fairly easy to get ahead of drivers who are all throttle and brakes and little else :devious:

·
Registered
33,664 Posts
I wasn't expecting to get this kind of rallying response to me having fun around town and pulling away off the line.

And I know I can beat half the people I pull up against but its fun to drive fast occasionally and show off having a faster car.

That's why we're all on this forum, as car enthusiasts and what one person is enthusiastic about with their car may not be the same for someone else.

Thanks
Would.

Oh and calm down!

·
Registered
139 Posts

Thanks
Its the choice of words that have been used 'Smoke people' 'never see them again' 'Having fun around town' 'Show off' that I find more worrying than anything. Having been involved in a quite bad accident 'in town' many years ago caused by someone showing off and having what they classed as 'having fun' and seeing a young child run down in a built up area by someone doing the same thing I would have no hesitation to report and most likely confront someone EVERYTIME I see them doing it.

I am not saying I am perfect and yes I am sure I exceed the speed limit on motors ways and selected roads but not to a degree of dangerous. Like others have said there is a time and place for it plus 99% of drivers don't know how to drive fast safely, I would say go on a track day find a deserted piece of land someone, get your need for speed out in them places NOT in towns

I agree enthusiasm comes in many forms some like to polish and clean their car everyday some like to know everything about their cars etc and some like to drive their cars fast Speed limits are there for a reason not just something to break, but it's sad when people only see that when something bad happens to them

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
OK so I've got a 1.4 MA Giulietta, I've got the car remapped and a new exhaust built.

I'm running at just over 200bhp.

But I can't seem to get enough traction when I pull off the line.

I was racing a Nissan Juke (65 plate) yesterday and off the line I got soo much wheel spin he got a huge head start until my wheel finally gripped the road and I shot in front of him.

my predicament is that I don't want to have to beat people in a race 50 yrds up the road as opposed to smoke them off the line and then never see them again.

What can I do to improve this on pulling away in Dynamic?

I have Goodyear tyres on with A grip rating and 16" alloys.

I haven't had my car lowered or any new suspension put on; would this help?

or would I need a new diff?

I'm not entirely sure; I was hoping someone could help me on this as it's starting to annoy me.

thanks
For a start:-

Engage brain before selecting a gear.

Secondly:

learn some co-ordination.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've seen a lot of accidents due to people driving like idiots and thinking they are invincible; I do a lot of driving this includes around own and on motorways, so don't think I don't know.

But driving fast is a choice we all make; personally as stated before when I like having fun around town (driving fast) I don't drive like a ****! I drive fast where the roads are open and clear and specifically keep my brakes and tyres well maintained specifically to stop as soon as possible but if I see someone driving at the limit I drive at the limit also (not tail gating them).

I'm not going to endanger anyone just because I want to have some fun, that's not how I drive.

All I wanted to know in this apparently stupid thread was if there was anything I could do to my car to improve traction.

that's all so if there's nothing more than better tyres then I guess I'm going to have to tweak other things and maybe get wider tyres.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
well, there is a difference between driving fast and driving safely, fast is not always dangerous, and slow is not always safe.

it comes down the drivers judgment based on the prevailing conditions and the road on which they are driving...I enjoy ''making progress'' as much as the next man, However I ensure that M-ways A roads and quiet B roads are the roads of choice when driving in a spirited manner,choosing early mornings in the summer and spring as the ideal times to enjoy my car, safety and consideration for other road users is always paramount in my mind though.

getting caught up in oneupmanship in towns is the best way to A) hurt someone B) lose your licence, I have a GT cloverleaf mapped to over 210BHP and it would ''smoke'' most things on the road especially with the Quaife ,bilstiens,eibach ARB kit and that lovely double wishbone set up I have, BUT I choose not to get involved...pedestrians are unpredictable, as are other road users...I like sleeping at night without the image of some cyclist or pedestrian going over my bonnet.

I have seen it happen to a mate on his M-bike and its not pretty...I am also an ex biker and the main reason I got off my bike was the proliferation of young idiots who in charge of powerful cars do not possess the self control, road sense, patience or conscience required for me to put my life in their hands...

honestly in a built up area just don't do it...

now to your question, well the G IMO is not the best car to be doing this, if you wanted an alfa with sportier handling capabilities then you should have bought one of the 156 derived cars such as the GT or the 147..but yes wider tyres and bigger wheels will improve traction, there may be a pay off in acceleration and handling due to the extra unsprung weight and bigger tires will be prone to tram lining a bit more...softer sidewalls will help at the expense of cornering prowess...I hve nexen N8000 on for this very reason as they grip very well and don't tram line compared to the bridgestone potenza and then pirelli p-zero I had on before...

if it were me? a mechanical self locking LSD would be my first choice of upgrade, followed by going up to 17's and a decent tyre like conti contact sport..FWD + BHP will always = problems putting the power down, it costs money and time to get around it.

p.s no judgement made by the way just some friendly and honest advice to hold your horses in town:thumbup:

oh and i am going to guess you have increased power but have not looked at the braking? i apologise in advance if you have but if you are going to go hooning it around anywhere stopping is at least as important as going.

up-rate both your pads and fluid as well...ebc friction pads are a good place to start.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Of course this was all on a private road, officer....

And a diff won't help. If both wheels spin, a diff is rendered pointless. They only help in situations such as powering out of sharp corners where the inside wheel will spin. You need better tyres and you can also help traction by using firmer springs and dampers. When FWD accelerates there's actually a rearwards weight transfer and that reduces traction. Firmer suspension can help cancel this out. So can not driving agressively and feeding in the power with more sympathy in first gear. Ultimately, FWD has limits. My old Civic Type R, with 197bhp and 154 lbft would lose traction in damp conditions in third gear! The GQV is much better but still finds itself wanting. Mind you, my old Subaru could spin all 4 wheels off the line in winter so even 4wd, Pilot Super Sports and limited slip diffs at both ends won't defeat the laws of physics.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts