Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came to work by bus on Monday. It's not something I do very often. On Mondays I take my son to school then usually get the train. Trains from my station are very infrequent so it means I get to work at ten then work late (and usually take stuff home to do as well but that's not the story). However, this Monday I had a meeting at 10 so I wanted a few minutes to gather my papers and get a brew.

Getting the bus means dropping Tom at school then walking for 20 minutes up a massive hill to the bus stop. However, because buses are a lot more frequent than trains, I can get to work for shortly after 9.30 giving me all the time I needed that morning. All went swimmingly on the way in and I was at work in plenty of time.

When the time came to go home, I wandered out of the office to the bus stop 200 yards away. As I turned the corner I saw that the bus was already at the stop so I ran (actually ran!) in order to catch the bus. As I approached, the driver put his indicator on and moved out of the bus stop to join the queue of traffic at the lights. As I arrived, the door of the bus was about 4 feet from the kerb (if that) and he was going nowhere because the traffic was queued back past him.

As he wasn’t going anywhere I knocked on the bus door and showed the day saver ticket I bought that morning. He looked at me with utter contempt then shook his head as if to say “Don’t be ridiculous. I could not possibly countenance opening the doors of my bus to allow you on, even though I’m sat in a traffic queue and unlikely to move anywhere until long after you’ve got on and found yourself a seat. It would be more than my job’s worth”.

At this point my bloody minded (and childish) streak kicked in and I decided that because of the traffic, I might be in with a shout of beating him to the next stop so that I could mutter ****** under my breath at him. I nearly did as well but the git sailed past me about 100 yards short, stopped to let someone off, then pulled away before I got there.

Now I can see that the bus will never run to the schedule if it spends the whole journey waiting for passengers and stopping just beyond the stop to pick up stragglers but he wasn’t going anywhere. He was completely stationary and right in front of the stop (albeit 4 feet from the kerb). Letting me on would have presented no risk or danger to anyone. A further nail in the coffin of common sense.

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
My dad was a bus driver for forty years, he once told me the most important day in bus drive school is the first day :)

That day they teach the most important lesson a driver can ever learn :D

Do you know what it is :D :D :D

How to spot a grumpy barstid from 100 yards away :p
BTW my dad really was a bus driver for over 40 years :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
There's probably a health and safety directive forbidding drivers to pick passengers up unless they are parked correctly at a bus stop. Can't remember the last time I used a bus. Can't say I miss it :lol:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh I get it now, it's allways the fault of 'Elf and Safety :rolleyes: :p
It's not the fault of Mr Elf or Mr Safety really though. Or at least not your brand of H&S because you're a sensible and reasonable sort of chap. It's down to some clown somewhere in the bus company (or whatever organisation) and his completely ****-eyed interpretation of health and safety risks and a "Thou shalt not" approach to rules. Trying to stop people being injured or killed in the workplace, on the roads or wherever is a laudible aim that I think we would all support. What none of us support are stupid rules which are blamed on health and safety when the blame really lies with idiots who can't or won't allow the application of a bit of common sense.

In this case, the only (non-existent) risk was to me standing in the bus stop rather than on the footpath. However, as I was already stood in the bus stop when the incident happened you could argue that letting me on the bus presented less of a risk than making me walk 3 feet back to the kerb. This risk was not a real risk anyway because the bus was mostly still in the stop so nobody could run me over.

There was no risk to the passengers already on the bus or other motorists either because the bus was stationary and unlikely to move immediately due to the traffic.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
To be honest mate I would put in a complaint. First he wouldn't let you on the bus and then he drove straight by you and pulled off before you could reach the next stop with you only a few yards away. This is unacceptable behaviour from a driver who's job it is to "carry passengers". Go give em hell KB :thumbs:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be honest mate I would put in a complaint. First he wouldn't let you on the bus and then he drove straight by you and pulled off before you could reach the next stop with you only a few yards away. This is unacceptable behaviour from a driver who's job it is to "carry passengers". Go give em hell KB :thumbs:
I would but:

1. I can guess the response I'll get so it won't be very satisfying.
2. My wife is limiting the number of complaints I'm allowed each week and complaints to Northern Rail use up pretty much all of my quota.

Stop encouraging him Joss, he's grumpy enough :rolleyes: :lol:
Imagine how grumpy I'd be if I didn't have the rant room to release all this tension.

·
Registered
37,649 Posts
To be honest mate I would put in a complaint.

WOT Joss said ^^^^ :D

If you are having trouble with that (letting the Keith name down :tut:) then try repeating to yourself twenty times "that could be one of my elderley frail relations who he so rudely ignored" before going off like a bottle of pop :thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
:lol: Sorry matey ... but you've broken the golden rule ... never ever run for public transport you'll only look like a fool!!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I used to drive buses,in those days pre deregulation,there was Birmingham City transport and the Midland Red,I drove for the latter.Once we had crossed into the city boundary the "Red" had to pay a proportion of the fare to BCT,this made our buses uneconomic to use within the boundary,but it did give us great fun watching the "Corpo" passengers trying to sprint from their stop to ours,knowing that we would be in the city the quickest.To be able to complete their sprint and board our expensive vehicles and get to work ontime they had to be at the stop,not near,at it.That was covered with stage carriage regulations not health and safety,they also had to signal their need to board your bus by putting their hand out,at the stop.As a D9 could accelerate quicker than a passenger,few made it:thumbs:
I gave up buses when I realised it was a good job spoilt by passengers.:lol:

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,410 Posts
The image of Keith running for a bus only for it to pull away just before he gets to it is too funny for me to take this rant seriously! :lol:

Sorry mate

1 - 20 of 31 Posts