Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Obviously we've only heard one side of the story here, there maybe more to it than reported.....
however, with that proviso and taking it at face value, it does seem this chap was treated very harshly.
Everyday you see plates that by rights should not be allowed, either with incorrect spacing, or fonts or badges/symbols.
I guess you get away with it as long as you don't get caught.
I'd be interested to see how big and what positioning this Marines badge was on the offending plate....
if it was no bigger than the Euro etc badges, and wasn't offensive and his letter type was perfectly legal, I really cannot see what harm it does. :confused:

Cue rant about Big Brother policing / why don't they catch real criminals etc etc ;) :lol:

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
:rolleyes: As if the Police in Liverpool don't have more pressing things to do with their time.....

Gilbert and Sullivan anyone??

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
As SPPALFA pointed out, number plates are part of the MoT so how come all these illegally spaced and 'italic' number plates are on the roads. I can't believe that the owners change their plates just for the MoT and then change them back again. I must ask my local friendly MoT station next time.

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
This type of crime is so evil - and causes so much heartache to the victims....

I can fully understand and justify the police's stance in this matter.....

Unsolved burglaries.... street violence, organised crime.....gun and knife crime amongst the countries teens...should be put on the back burner...until everyone comply's with registration plates.....:confused:

The police have a job to do....please let us not unfairly pick on them.....the job is tough enough....:)

Chris

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
And yes, some discretion from the Police would have been appropriate, but this is a storm in a tea cup. A typical hero v jobsworth story.

g
Exactly.

He could put any badge he wanted anywhere else on his car - what's so special about having it on the plate?

Paul.
Gentlemen, you both put perfectly what immediately came into my mind upon reading the article. :thumbs:

E

·
0 Posts
Is there a third way - I'm sure the ANPR software could be tweaked a bit so it read letters thay have strolled off to one side a bit. Then we could have a broader range of acceptable plates and a law not in danger of falling into disrepute, as seems to be the case now. There'd be clearer "no you can't do that" cases as well.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,310 Posts
The number plate check in now part of the MOT and any car not complying will fail its MOT.

Personnaly as long as you are able to understand the number plate (Correct number)what is the issue.

We have the DVLA selling private plates encouraging you to alter the spacing etc and then the police handing out fines because you have altered the spacing - nice littlle earner for ald Gordon.
:thumbs: I think you're right on the button there.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
This type of crime is so evil - and causes so much heartache to the victims....

I can fully understand and justify the police's stance in this matter.....

Unsolved burglaries.... street violence, organised crime.....gun and knife crime amongst the countries teens...should be put on the back burner...until everyone comply's with registration plates.....:confused:

The police have a job to do....please let us not unfairly pick on them.....the job is tough enough....:)

Chris
As I said, anyone for Gilbert and Sullivan...."When costabulary duty's to be done, to be done, a policeman's lot is not a happy one, happy one......":rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Sorry Will not into panto - more into pants off....ffnaar ffnaar :D

Chris
PANTO???

'Tis comic opera, dear boy. "Pirates of Penzance" and all that...

E

·
0 Posts
The original lyric is actually "...policeman's lot is not a nappy one..."

Even then the coppers were getting younger.

·
Registered
272 Posts
ANPR relies on the fonts and spacing being correct. However, a bit of dirt on the plate can confuse it. If the system can't read the plate it effectively gives a best guess. When used in a major enquiry these 'guesses' can lead to potentially days of wasted enquires.

Having said that, this story still seems a bit harsh. Afteall, if the badge was occupying the space normally reserved for a flag there is no issue with ANPR is there?

I think it was a case of the traffic officers following the letter of the law and having no discretion, which is a shame really. Where has common sense gone?

Rob

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
we see dodgy number plates every day, the old boy was an easy target in a targets driven age. He was still wrong, (there was the wholew of the rest of the car to apply his badge) but a quite word or a Defect notice would have been more appropriate IMO

21 - 40 of 59 Posts