Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Royal Marine fined for loyalty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was fined for showing pride in my regiment

Feb 11 2008 by Tina Miles, Liverpool Echo

A RETIRED Royal Marine has been fined by police for showing loyalty to his regiment.

Grandfather-of-two David Horlick had a Marine replica badge printed on his car number plate to recognise his service with the Royal Naval School of Music. But the 74-year-old was reduced to tears when two officers gave him a fixed penalty ticket outside his Walton home.

They told the widower he had to remove the illegal plate bearing the insignia of the Marines and pay the £30 fine, or go to court. Mr Horlick said: “I didn’t think I was doing anything wrong. I wanted the replica badge on the number plate because my late wife Connie was very proud of the fact I was a Royal Marine.

“I had seen Liverpool and Everton supporters put their badge on their car registration plates, which is understandable. As an ex-Royal Marine I wanted my badge there.

“I paid the fine and removed the plate, but I feel hard done to.” Police said the officers were following strict regulations, and registration plates were allowed to display only “an acceptable international symbol or flag.”

Acting Inspector Steve Hardy of the roads policing department, said: “Merseyside police prides itself on setting and maintaining the highest standards of professionalism and quality of service.

“We understand this gentleman’s frustration and we will of course look into the reasons behind this decision, but according to the regulations registration plates are only permitted to display an acceptable international symbol or flag.

“By ensuring every road user abides by the law it then allows the technology we have to work more efficiently.”

Government laws established in October allow only “an acceptable international symbol or flag.”

Number plates can include a European Union symbol, Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George or Red Dragon. The law bans football crests.

tinamiles @ liverpoolecho.co.uk

·
Registered
17,042 Posts
hmm.

if the rules are that you can only show a European Union symbol, Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George or Red Dragon, then that means you can only show a European Union symbol, Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George or Red Dragon.

Imagine someone showed a Swastika. Then we'd all be for him being fined. Yes, it's sad that a marine got stung, but we all have to stick to law. If the symbol is illegal, the symbol is illegal - what it signifies doesn't matter.

Like if a Marine was carrying a marine-issue knife, he's still carrying an offensive weapon.

"A RETIRED Royal Marine has been fined by police for showing loyalty to his regiment." No, he was fined because he broke the law.

g

·
Registered
696 Posts
Acting Inspector Steve Hardy of the roads policing department, said: “Merseyside police prides itself on setting and maintaining the highest standards of professionalism and quality of service.

By ensuring every road user abides by the law it then allows the technology we have to work more efficiently.”
[/QUOTE]

Quality of Service? Too many fast tracked graduates with sociology degrees and delusions of grandeur and not enough proper coppers.

By ensuring every user abides by the law it then allows the force to continue in its new role as tax collectors because as we know catching criminals is too difficult.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
If the old geezer was wearing a hoodie, was an illegal immigrant or from a religious minority they would have left him alone:mad:

·
Premium Member
45,115 Posts
Well technically he did break the law, but I'd have liked to have seen a bit of discretion. A quiet word would have been better. "Sir, your numberplate is illegal, you are only allowed to have a European Union symbol, Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George or Red Dragon. Please remove it and put on a legal plate. Thanks"

Then it wouldn't have become a news story.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Precisely, 14 days to sort it out everybody's happy.

These kinds of incidents are pr disasters and help nobody.

They just hasten the public's diminishing respect for all levels of authority.

There is no longer a concept of Policing by consent.

·
Registered
17,042 Posts
They just hasten the public's diminishing respect for all levels of authority.
but he broke the law; he disregarded the authority he's meant to respect (not intentionally. granted)

And yes, some discretion from the Police would have been appropriate, but this is a storm in a tea cup. A typical hero v jobsworth story.

“I had seen Liverpool and Everton supporters put their badge on their car registration plates, which is understandable. As an ex-Royal Marine I wanted my badge there.

“I paid the fine and removed the plate, but I feel hard done to.”

Erm, why precisely? How can you be hard done by? Liverpool and Everton fans have been fined, now this guy. I don't see where the 'hard done by' is.

Also, another point - without dissing that he was a royal marine, is this guy like a war hero? Did he liberate Poland or something while he was in the Royal Navy School of Music?

g

·
Super Moderator
23,004 Posts
Well technically he did break the law, but I'd have liked to have seen a bit of discretion. A quiet word would have been better. "Sir, your numberplate is illegal, you are only allowed to have a European Union symbol, Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George or Red Dragon. Please remove it and put on a legal plate. Thanks"

Exactly.

He could put any badge he wanted anywhere else on his car - what's so special about having it on the plate?

Maybe he was advised but chose to get stroppy - who knows?

Paul.

·
Premium Member
45,115 Posts
Maybe he was advised but chose to get stroppy - who knows?
From my experiences with the police, most of the time they don't use discretion and just hand out the fines, regardless of your attitude :rolleyes:

From what I can tell from my experiences, the public's respect for police has seriously diminished , and I think fixed penalty fines coming into force is one of the main reasons.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes he did break the law but wouldn't a '14 day wonder' or a warning have been more appropriate? How many other illegal number plates do you every day on the roads? They always seem to get away with it:eek:

N

·
0 Posts
Wouldn't have this problem if they
just used number plates for what
they are meant for: a means of
identifying cars.

Shouldn't have personalised plates.
Shouldn't have "flags".
Shouldn't have anything but a single
specification for plate and lettering.

Anything else: on the spot fine.
No arguments or leeway.

People are already bitching about
the rollout of standardised plates
in France. And the loss of the department
number. (No more cool 06 plate. :cry:)
Tough, I say. It's just a vehicle reg number.
:rolleyes:

What's wrong with stickers, if you want
to display something on your car anyway?!

·
Registered
3,301 Posts

Well put, Pud:)
Rules are for the guidance of the wise
Adherence of the fool.

John.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Why not just VDRS him:confused: OK, it'd be a bit of a pain but he wouldn't have been fined.

·
Registered
16,125 Posts
If the old geezer was wearing a hoodie, was an illegal immigrant or from a religious minority they would have left him alone:mad:
Spot on - this country is going mad - drop the fine and go out and catch some real trouble makers like the gangs of 15 / 16 year olds who are probably terrorising the older generation.

Oh no they couldnt possibly do that as they may have to do a bit of real policing.

·
Super Moderator
114,698 Posts

Guys, let's not make this a racial/religious point please. This sort of statements only works to inflame discussions.

The old man broke the law and the police was very strict. End of story.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Guys, let's not make this a racial/religious point please. This sort of statements only works to inflame discussions.

The old man broke the law and the police was very strict. End of story.

Thanks.
BF I would agree with you if there was parity for applying the law in this country but the sad fact is it is easier for the police to charge a soft touch

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The law should be followed i agree, however as others have said, there is little parity in the system, i think it depends on which constabulary you have. I regularly see lads with the ford logo on their plates or indeed playboy symbols and in some cases religious symbols on their plates, which wouold suggest that north yorks police are a little more lenient in this area. Its always difficult when one police force acts in a rather harsh and to the letter of the law way and others are a more relaxed manner. To be honest the policeman should have pulled him over, told him his plate was illegal and given him a week to change it, but liverpool is a city with huge car crime problems and perhaps the chief of police has said to his blokes 'hit everything you see wrong and hit it hard, no exeptions' ...

·
Registered
16,125 Posts
The number plate check in now part of the MOT and any car not complying will fail its MOT.

Personnaly as long as you are able to understand the number plate (Correct number)what is the issue.

We have the DVLA selling private plates encouraging you to alter the spacing etc and then the police handing out fines because you have altered the spacing - nice littlle earner for ald Gordon.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts