Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some musing, I came across an article on the prototype Brera while looking through an old issue of Autocar. This car, owned by the Giugiaro family, looked quite different to the current production Brera. Somehow the current Brera looks a bit truncated, whereas the prototype had really short front and rear overhangs and high wheel arches. From the front, both versions look gorgeous, and I'm thankful the sharply angled headlights were carried over to the facelift 147, 156 and 159.

If only they'd shoehorned the Maserati V8 into the production model :)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Just some musing, I came across an article on the prototype Brera while looking through an old issue of Autocar. This car, owned by the Giugiaro family, looked quite different to the current production Brera. Somehow the current Brera looks a bit truncated, whereas the prototype had really short front and rear overhangs and high wheel arches. From the front, both versions look gorgeous, and I'm thankful the sharply angled headlights were carried over to the facelift 147, 156 and 159.

If only they'd shoehorned the Maserati V8 into the production model :)
the overhangs always end up increasing - crash test influenced i think.

when you look at a brera after seeing the prototype its a shame... makes a pretty think even better

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I think I've posted these comparison pictures on here before - in fact, I might have got them from here in the first place.

At the time the concept came out, they said the Brera wouldn't make production "in this form", and I think Alfa made a mistake giving the production car the same name as the concept - it set expectations unrealistically high. Better maybe to have given it a different name, and then people would have been delighted that their new car shared a similar look with the concept.

Apart from the styling, the concept Brera more-or-less turned into the 8C - Maserati-sourced V8, rwd, carbonfibre body.

Attachments

N

·
0 Posts
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hardly anyone would have been able to buy one.

So, I'm glad it turned out as a cheaper production version :p:p:p

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Personally I think it's an outrage that Alfa dared to make the Brera sooo different from the Concept :mad:

:rolleyes:

:p

the overhangs always end up increasing - crash test influenced i think.
Hardly anyone would have been able to buy one.
So, I'm glad it turned out as a cheaper production version :p:p:p
What They Said !!

And how many concepts actually look like the production version :confused: Not many :rolleyes:

A

·
0 Posts
the concept looks great.
the production looks great.
the end result. concept 1. production 1.
play offs to be announced next week. :lol:

N

·
0 Posts
I wish they'd made the Veyron more like the Chiron.

Why-oh-why didn't they!? :confused:

I'm just not happy with how it turned out.

I, for one, won't be buying one. That's for sure! :tut:

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I wish they'd made the Veyron more like the Chiron.
That's kind of what I was getting at - if the concept had been called the Ambrosiana (or something) then people wouldn't get so exercised about the differences between the two. They'd be chuffed that their Brera had inherited some of the best bits of the Ambrosiana concept.

But they gave it the same name, so people assumed it'd be the same. After all, why wouldn't they replace the 20k fwd 2.0 GTV with a 400bhp Maserati V8 engined rwd carbonfibre supercar, gullwing doors and all?

You and Nomad seem to have taken my post as a bit of an attack on the Brera, which it wasn't meant to be - I like the Brera, and I would likely have one now instead of the 159 if it was more practical for the dog. I just think Alfa gave it a bit much to live up to.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
That's kind of what I was getting at - if the concept had been called the Ambrosiana (or something) then people wouldn't get so exercised about the differences between the two. They'd be chuffed that their Brera had inherited some of the best bits of the Ambrosiana concept.
But they gave it the same name, so people assumed it'd be the same. After all, why wouldn't they replace the 20k fwd 2.0 GTV with a 400bhp Maserati V8 engined rwd carbonfibre supercar, gullwing doors and all?

You and Nomad seem to have taken my post as a bit of an attack on the Brera, which it wasn't meant to be - I like the Brera, and I would likely have one now instead of the 159 if it was more practical for the dog. I just think Alfa gave it a bit much to live up to.
Did I/we :confused:

That's not how I saw it at all JB.. I got your point totally !! ;)

My comments were directed in response to the original post and before all the usual Brera bashers turn up for another session :rolleyes:

I think you'll find a few of us are getting a bit tired of hearing the same old **** over and over :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Did I/we :confused:

That's not how I saw it at all JB.. I got your point totally !! ;)
Good - I thought I was one of the targets of your roll-eyes, I misunderstood. :)

I think you'll find a few of us are getting a bit tired of hearing the same old **** over and over :rolleyes:
Absolutely, it's incredibly tedious and one of the reasons why I don't spend so much time on here any more. It's become more AlfaMoaner than AlfaOwner recently. Shame.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Absolutely, it's incredibly tedious and one of the reasons why I don't spend so much time on here any more. It's become more AlfaMoaner than AlfaOwner recently. Shame.
Hmmmm indeed :(

N

·
0 Posts
Good - I thought I was one of the targets of your roll-eyes, I misunderstood. :)

What you said! ;)

Rolleyes were for OP/thread in general. :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Still a radical looking vehicle (production Brera) - concept or no concept. When you look at the Scirocco and similar offerings nothing touches it. As with so many concepts just not practical to produce I guess, plus it looks a much bigger car than the Brera or is it the way its pictured?

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
There was no way it could have been made on any other than the Premium chassis the 159 is built on, so it was always going to be a 159 coupe sharing very many similar parts. I think it looks very much like the concept, and no-one can really complain how the Brera looks anyway.

On a separate note - was the Brera concept released before the concept for the 159?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, Breras are incredibly rare in the Far East so they're still exotic, even if they're not V8-powered carbon fibre supercars like the prototype. Even on the European mainland I've spotted just a handful.

I'm not criticizing the Brera at all. After all, I've got a 147 facelift that most people hate :) Thanks for the comparison pix jamieboy, I've always been interested in automotive design and now I can finally figure out what the changes are - the sharply tapered snout, more rounded rear, more pronounced arches and longer wheelbase on the prototype that didn't make it to production. The need for it to make economic sense probably dictated massaging the design to fit the 159 platform. No big deal, the Brera and the Spider both look better from certain angles and in certain colours anyway.

That said, a deep blue metallic Brera is a thing of beauty :D

So which recent production car most closely matches its prototype? Porsche Boxster? No supercars please :)

·
Registered
5,559 Posts

Very good points. Re Dog practicality, we're going to be putting our new dog, in harness on rear seat attached to rear seat belt. Much safer for the doggie in case of sharp breaking/crashing ;)

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Re Dog practicality, we're going to be putting our new dog, in harness on rear seat attached to rear seat belt. Much safer for the doggie in case of sharp breaking/crashing ;)
Not sure how big your dog is / will get - I did exactly that for a while in the GTV with our bearded collie, but pretty soon he got too big to easily fit between the back of the front seat and the b-pillar.

Long legs + narrow gap + leather seats + claws......maybe there's a bigger gap there in the Brera than in the GTV.

You're right about the safety aspect, but it's a trade off against the dog being tightly restricted - in the back of the SW he can move about as much as he wants, roll over, whatever. All dogs are different, but George is definitely less stressed in the back of the SW than he was when he was harnessed to the seat belt in the back of the GTV.

We've also got two cats, so if we're going anywhere as a 'family' we need to take the dog, two cats in two cat boxes, a bag of dog stuff, a bag of cat stuff, Catriona's multiple shoes and matching outfits, and my toothbrush and my emergency pants. Hence the 159 SW is a better solution for us, even though I don't really see myself as a diesel estate type of chap. :)

·
Registered
38,272 Posts
I think the prototype looks stunning. Sleek, low and well proportioned.

The production version looks dumpy and bloated.

The production Brera was a huge disspointment for me because of this.
Especially as Alfa have often made production versions of their cars look even better than the prototype. (The GTV for instance)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Given that there are so many parameters regarding pedestrian safety legislation etc that modern cars have to meet ( and protoypes don't ), I think that they did a pretty good job of it. I liked the prototype and I like the production model. I also loved the Nuvola concept car.... that would have been nice to have on the driveway. :cool:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Very good points. Re Dog practicality, we're going to be putting our new dog, in harness on rear seat attached to rear seat belt. Much safer for the doggie in case of sharp breaking/crashing ;)
Strange that dogs should come up on this thread but by coincidence we will be taking one of our English Springers with us at the weekend. The usual dog-mobile is our KA and as they can't both fit in the back they are harnessed on the back seat. So we will do the same in the Brera, but with lots of covers on the seats, who knows maybe dog saliva is actually good for conditioning leather!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts