Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all, posted earlier in the newbie section but would be grateful for your thoughts re a prospective purchase..

I know I should buy on condition rather than age/price so I'd be grateful for some advice.

Car one- 98 Model, Blue, needs some TLC, roof ~(electic) isnt working, has an aftermarket exhaust (which the dealer says is a bit loud), -needs some overall tidying but not an issue for me- around 90k with recent belts etc. It has tan leather/beige carpet- and speakers/amps all over the rear dealer wants £1000 (up for 1250).

Car two- 00 Model so facelift, silver- very tidy, everything works as it should and had a replacement engine last year ( I suspect Cam belt failure),100k miles but is priced at £1750- I haven't negotiated price yet but would expect there to be a bit of movement downwards in that.

I'm thinking from a project perspective that car one will need work but 'could' be better value, but has a couple of unknowns-roof , stereo etc, whereas Car 2 needs no work but costs more- does that make sense?? Both have lots of history, MOT etc-

Its going to be a second (third) car for the summer, then I'll probably give it to my mother.

So guys, what would you go for??

Cheers,

J

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi foodie,

I had a similar choice when I bought mine last month. My choice would be option 2 it just sounds a better car to me. Good luck

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi foodie,

I had a similar choice when I bought mine last month. My choice would be option 2 it just sounds a better car to me. Good luck

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
If you need a new roof motor you need to budget about £800 including labour. If you go to view it take a rubber mallet, open the compartment behind the seats, peel back the carpet and you will see the roof motor. Give it a sound tap with the mallet whilst hold the roof button that might get the roof going! I have a blue one with cream leather and it looks great. Silver is a bit dull, unless it has red leather.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts