Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Who can give a good summary of ripping out the original OE filter and replacing it with something else, or fitting an Induction kit?

what are the good points, what are the bad points?

If if see a K&N or Induction, I usually stay well clear of those vehicles, is this justified?

·
Registered
89 Posts
In my experience they are a good modification to make - have one on my MX-5 (K&N) and I think it's a good thing......seems to be faster, definitely better induction noise, negligible difference to insurance.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
sounds so so much better, alot deeper but not to loud, i took a recommendation from the forum and fitted one and it does make a difference, although if i was to sell my gtv i would take it out and refit the original

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Filter mods

sounds so so much better, alot deeper but not to loud, i took a recommendation from the forum and fitted one and it does make a difference, although if i was to sell my gtv i would take it out and refit the original
Why would you take it out?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm i'm thinking NOT if it makes it sound like a boy racer car? I'm interested in performance and cleaner air cant be a bad thing!

·
Registered
222 Posts
The spider and gtv have a decent air intake setup already, if you take off the standard filter and slap an induction one on the end you can often reduce air flow. Im no expert, but the best options seem to be upgrading the filter itself or at the other end of the spectrum the cda induction kit (pricey!)

·
Registered
374 Posts
You are unlikely to get any gains from a cone filter or a CDA although with the CDA you may get a nicer sound due to the construction; the Standard induction track on the GTV is well sized for the engine &
it is highly advised that you do "not" Get a metal cone filter that need’s cleaning and oiling as this will do your MAF more harm than good.

The best option out there at the moment is a good replacement foam filter in the standard box possibly connected to the throttle body via some nice silicone pipes.

but again dont expect much.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot guys. Think I'll stick to OE housing and just get a better cotton/paper/sponge filter, what would the creme de la creme of filters be?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Agree on the metal cone filters to much hassle and the MAF's are really sensitive. My MAF last 5 miles before being killed by a garage fitting a twinnie filter instead of a V6. The only difference between them is an inch in length.

·
Registered
374 Posts
As said by .:IAN:. Autodelta a known and respected Alfa tuners, but as also pointed out them not being Red may lose that 20bhp that would potential of gained with the magic go faster colour..... :)

I thought Jano's company went to the wall.

Alan
thought that was the PLC not the shop but then again you may be right!

·
Registered
325 Posts
ive had bmc cda on mine 4 bout 3 odd years it wont give u any more horsepower but it does make a lovely noise

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Twin cone Green on the V6. Lovely sound and the oil is polymer based so it doesn't drip off, or into your maf. No more power, perhaps top end but not noticeable although a liberated V6 sound gives a nice placebo effect and turns heads. I tend to pick a high gear and floor it when passing police just for kicks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys, After reading all the threads to this, I don't want a boy racer sound coming from the engine, i just want to fit a better filter than what Alfa can produce in the original housing, if possible. Is anything available, i guess that red (not red) sponge may be the answer?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers Nineonesix, OK decision made, mods other than sponge filter arent for me.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I got a £10 cone filter off ebay, hasn't killed my MAF and the engine sound is very much improved... No idea about it's filtering abilities but we live in England and not Arabia so I rekon it'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Before the Green I had a Raid HP element in the standard box. It's a multi thickness foam with a polymer based oil so is perfect for you and gives no extra sound, just better filtering properties than paper. And I live in a very dusty part of the world!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts