Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

do you think that driving fines such as speeding, using your mobile etc should be changed from fixed penalties to a proptional fine to your annual income?

This would lead to larger fines for footballers and films stars on obscenely huge salaries which might make them think twice!

Andy

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Perhaps - but shouldf it be on your disposable income; or your household income etc.

But in principle Yes

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
There should be more patrols on the road enforcing the laws IMHO.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
catch a few top footballers speeding and you'd be able fine them enough for some additional patrols! :)

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
Hi,

do you think that driving fines such as speeding, using your mobile etc should be changed from fixed penalties to a proptional fine to your annual income?

This would lead to larger fines for footballers and films stars on obscenely huge salaries which might make them think twice!

Andy
all fines issued by courts are done in this way, known as 'means testing'

However, it rarely works proportionatly as the rich can afford decent solicitors (Nick 'Mr loophole' Freeman) and get away with **** all of a fine.:rolleyes:

W

·
0 Posts
If it was all based on points the money wouldn't matter and all people would be equal.

wrinx

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Seriously, no.

1. Most certainly people of means would quickly find/create ways to "diversify" their income so as to escape this sort of trap (just as is often done with taxes). :rolleyes:

2. Not sure about the wisdom of introducing a tax-code-like added complexity to already complex law systems? :confused:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
True, the rich wouldn't pay anything. Often they will set up companies and get paid very little salary, but then receive massive dividend.

·
Banned
27 Posts
In principle this would be fine, but the fact is that (in my experience) alot of repeat offenders are low income earners. I have been to court with two seperate drink dirvers. One a 30 something @£25000 earner and one a 17 year old @£15000 earner.
The first moved his car across a public car park to leave it under a street light, then got out to walk home. He was picked up on CCTV arrested @100m from the car, walking away from it. He was fined over £1000 and banned from driving for 3 years.
The second did not even have a driving license. He got drunk at home, went outside TWOC'd his mothers boyfriends car. Crashed it about 1/2 a mile down the road. Got out, ran home and went to bed. He was fined about £200 and banned for 2 years.

Means tested?

If you break the law you know the consequences. Wealthy murderers won't go to jail for longer.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Means tested?

If you break the law you know the consequences. Wealthy murderers won't go to jail for longer.
Well, no, but that's because murders are jailed not fined....:)

As Wrinx has hinted at though, the points system does even things up a bit, and also footballers etc will have to pay a small fortune for their insurance...

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Gary Slegg said:
As Wrinx has hinted at though, the points system does even things up a bit, and also footballers etc will have to pay a small fortune for their insurance...
the problem is that people in a footballers income bracket will still be able to afford expensive cars, they won't care how much the fine/insurance etc is.
Someone on a far more modest income (the rest of us) will be hit very hard and most likely won't be able to keep a nice car which they may have worked hard for.
Fair? :tut:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lots of interesting points everybody have been making. I think in hindsight having heard various points of view that proportional fines probably wouldn't work in practice.

T

·
0 Posts
one of the Scandinavian countries has implemented this system and it works from what i've read.

let's face it a £60 fine is nothing to someone even on £20k, but i know a few people £6 an hour and it hurts them

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
How about they do it by car makes.

Alfa's and Aston Martins can get off scott-free; but BMW's can get fined £1,000 for each 1mph above the speed limit they go :D :D :D

T

·
0 Posts
sounds like a plan :) now if we all have a whip round and and get a deposit together. perhaps we'll have somebody sensible in the houses of parliament for once.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
On principle I don't agree with it, it's potentially just another back door taxation avenue.

It's supposed to be the case currently that defendants are means tested but in practice it's nonsense. 7 years ago I was clocked at 96mph on the M6 by a mobile camera. Got my summons from Crewe Magistrates, pleaded guilty by post, filled in the stuff about personal circumstances and income (I wasn't earning much btw) and got £150 fine + £35 costs with 4 points on my license. Fair enough I thought. Until I read the paper a week later only to see that everybody's favourite wife-beating dogger Stan Collymore had also been prosecuted at Crewe magistrates for doing (you guessed it) 96mph on the M6. What was his punishment? £150 fine, £35 costs, 4 points

Bearing in mind he was playing for Aston Villa at the time earning around £40,000 a WEEK it makes a mockery out of the system. Means tested my arse:mad:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts