Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the good news, the wife looks to be getting promoted, the BAD news.... She gets a company car (Audi A3 i Believe). She wont be able to opt outta the company car scheme which, basically, means I will have to sell my(or should I say our!) beloved 147 :confused: ..only done 8500 miles in the thing and its a year old this month!!! Really dont know what to do, Its gonna be the hardest thing ever if I have to part with it, many an hour or two on a saturday I spend washing and waxing her:cry: (the car that is!). I wouldnt have a clue what to sell it at in a private sale either! Anyone any suggestions on how I can keep her (I too have a company car), dont think the missus would be to pleased if i told her she should turn down the promotion on on the basis that it means we keep the car!!

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Why can't she opt out and take the cash?

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
I've never understood why getting a company car means selling a privately owned car. If you can afford to run it then do so, I assume the company car will have all it's expenses paid for so there should be no difference to the money situation. :confused:
Obviously if you need to re-coup some cash then fair enough, or if there's other reasons such as no parking space etc.

·
Registered
283 Posts
With the way that company cars are taxed nowadays, I doubt she will be any better off, unless the wage increase is massive.
Could she not use the 147 to go to and from work, and leave the company car there, so avoiding the company car tax by not using it at all for personal mileage?

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
My old firm did all sorts of things to keep the troops happy (before, alas going broke and making them all redundant):

If there is a car allowance instead of the Co'y Car (at either yours or your missus' firm) one of you take the option and use the '47 for work.

See if your wife's (or your) firm will buy the '47 off you so it becomes the company's car.

See if your wife's (or your) firm will buy you a '47 (especially if you exhausted the first two options) as they'll be able to see how keen you are to have one (therefore will take care of it etc.).

Ralf S.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Perhaps you should get your wife to try and convince your firm that company cars are a bad idea as people tend to thrash them and drive them like idiots. Of course, she'll probably be talking to someone with a company car:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
alfaholic said:
I've never understood why getting a company car means selling a privately owned car. If you can afford to run it then do so, I assume the company car will have all it's expenses paid for so there should be no difference to the money situation. :confused:
Obviously if you need to re-coup some cash then fair enough, or if there's other reasons such as no parking space etc.
What he said :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts