Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Thought i'd introduce myself...
Had a 156 of some sort ever since i passed my test, but my reason for posting this intro is because...
I inherited a dead 1998 156 V6 that had been described as beyond repair. Then set to work over the last year slowly restoring it back to it's former glory. Sure it probably cost me twice the value of the car in parts, But considering the endless amount of work that went into it, the information from the forum has made Project V6 worth it and a lot of fun.
It's not finished yet, but shes now back on the tarmac, you can't get enough of blasting past those panicky pants downsizers in their wheezy eco boxes.

So Grazie Mille, great forum. :thumbs:

·
Vendor
46,130 Posts
Welcome to AO Jasta. :)

Tell us about your V6 then, everyone loves hearing about a nice V6 :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok,
The engine was seized and the car had most of the warning lights on before it stopped. Found out that a leaking radiator caused the seizure. So after a engine rebuild and new belts the engine is a sweet as nut. The warning lights and fluid leaks were eliminated one by one using the forum. Then added raggazzon back box and ecotec fuel valve. Unfortunately the car didn't have the mandatory sport pack
so may well lower and stiffen it a bit and give it some gta teledials. Looks good in silver and red leather so after a bit of tidying up on the outside it will be mint.

·
Vendor
46,130 Posts
Silver and red leather, same as mine brother :D

If you add GTA tele's and lower it then they will be clones :lol:

What do you think to the Ragga then? I've heard the Ragga quad, but not the single/dual exit on a V6, which do you have?

Do you think the Ecotec fuel valve made any difference? I've read all about them and are in two minds about possible benefits.. Having slightly higher fuel pressure might be a good thing though.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Hello & Welcome to AO :Bye:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, it's a good colour combo, i thought the red look a bit lurid to start with but it's grown on me.
I got the Ragga back box with the single oval outlet, ( i want to try and keep the original look ) i like this one because it sounds almost normal on tick over, but then rasps like a spitfire over 4k revs, so happy with that choice.:)
I put the ecotek valve on last week, so am still tuning it into the car, so far it gives a smoother tickover and slightly better throttle response, yet to see a real difference on economy yet tho.

Where did you get your teledials from? trying to justify buying them.

·
Vendor
46,130 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, thanks guys,
Only did the car up as something to do, but got attached to it after a while.
Will give it some serious thought, the chap that had it before me put new tyres on the car just before it went bang, so i'd just as well smoke these away first.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you rebuild the engine yourself?
Hi,
Pretty much, i work in a garage and am fully aware of what goes on behind the scenes so would rather do everything myself. i stripped the engine down leaving the block and crankshaft in place, should have taken the whole bloody thing out as one and rebuilt it on a bench considering the hassle involved. After
Honing the liners, new belts idler, water pump, thermostate, radiator,
all fluids, all filters, the engine seems like new. It was a that point i realised that the rest of the car needed the same treatment, but still
she was worth it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I wish I could do that :( I really want to rebuild my V6! But I know I'd just end up with a spring left over :p

Did you have any specific service manuals for it? That tell you what goes where, or just your own experience?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wish I could do that :( I really want to rebuild my V6! But I know I'd just end up with a spring left over :p

Did you have any specific service manuals for it? That tell you what goes where, or just your own experience?

Ha ha, i had a whole bag of nuts and bolts left over, but i'm hoping thats because they have been replaced with new ones on the car.
My dad also has a garage with good tools, so i borrowed the back of his garage and bought the Alfa workshop manual off of Ebay.
Even with a well equiped garage and the manuals, it still often found myself swearing at it:mad:
With hindsight, you need to be ready with an arsenal of good tools and technical backup, don't go there if you have any doubts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts