Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK usually a project manager knows sweet FA, gets other people to do the work and then takes the glory.

At the moment though I am dealing with something where no one wants to spend any money, and all those that are "project managing" it have buggered off on holiday as they know it is a complete mess (not my boss I hasten to add! who is also away, pheeew)

What makes it worse is this is at another one of our companies buildings down the road, where yesterday was only the 4th time I have been there. It is stuff like this that really ****s me off and makes me start thinking about a career change!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK usually a project manager knows sweet FA, gets other people to do the work and then takes the glory.

At the moment though I am dealing with something where no one wants to spend any money, and all those that are "project managing" it have buggered off on holiday as they know it is a complete mess (not my boss I hasten to add! who is also away, pheeew)

What makes it worse is this is at another one of our companies buildings down the road, where yesterday was only the 4th time I have been there. It is stuff like this that really ****s me off and makes me start thinking about a career change!
It's usually the execs get all the credit for the work done by the plebs on the ground :mad::mad::mad::mad:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah spreadsheet/MS Project jockies who contribute nothing to actually hitting
those milestones? :thumbs: :rolleyes:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eddie, are you sure you don't work for the same firm as me? :rolleyes:
Quite possibly, and as has happened to me before we will find we are both working on the same thing but don't know it :lol:.........:cry:

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
You missed off the other requirements for PM's (well aerospace ones anyway):

Must be medically allergic to spending money

Must have no concept of linear time

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
.... and also no concept of real resource allocation:

So long as a particular person is alive they can be assigned to any project
task no matter their background or (in)experience. :thumbs:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As a project manager myself, I must take issue with Nev's description of resource allocation.

I always make sure I allocate all project tasks to the same individual (doesn't even actually need to be a real person). This greatly simplifies the tracking process and has little impact on the overall outcome as the project was invariably poorly scoped and unworkable from the start.

Kerchinnnng

Next project please. :D

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You missed off the other requirements for PM's (well aerospace ones anyway):

Must be medically allergic to spending money

Must have no concept of linear time
You are so right! We get that all the time, and to be quite frank us (the network team) and the engineers work fricking miracles! All the time!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
There is alot of back scratching on projects I found.
The nearer you get to the top, the less they know about the actual issues but can talk for hours on end about where they're going and why - I suppose its their job -.
We changed to SAP a while ago and the deadline for a complete shut off of the old ERP system was way out of line with the human possibilities/ressources at the time. We found ourselves working 12 hour days for the last 2 weeks...
Nevertheless "It was a success" and our manager (who was mostly ill and had a nervous breakdown half way through the project) was awarded a large bonus ($ thousands) which she promptly put into her bank account and didn't even share or at least buy us all a meal with.....She didn't even thank us for the support.
Gutted. She then went on to another big promotion and was promptly ill again !!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts