Alfa Romeo Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Another addition to enhance the car to differentiate it from my 147 GTA engine bay. Because I've used the carbon inlet pipes I got lucky with being in the know and all that and just picked up a nice used Autodelta carbon air intake and air filter (not pictured) to compliment it nicely. The Autodelta logo had worn off so it's got a really nicely applied Alfa Romro script logo.

Depending on how things go I might buy the coilovers ready soon. I'm really curious to see the intake on now.

·
Premium Member
2,273 Posts
Looking very tidy in there. Have you chromed the fuel rails to get that effect? (y)

Reactions: Jean_Luc Picard

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks, believe it or not the fuel rail bit in the middle was just a fair bit of elbow grease/cleaning work which Gareth's Dad did really nicely to get it looking tidier and shinier. It turned out surprisingly well and better than expected especially given how it looked before (looked like it had been dunked in cement looking at the original engine bay photo at the beginning of the thread).

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Where did you get the carbon inlet pipes from?

The carbon air intake pipe looks like a professional version of the plastic one I've got which is basically the resonator box sawn off and fibreglass'ed over!! Makes a pretty nice induction bark without it, I'd assume it's similar with that carbon pipe.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Sorry for my late reply, High Power Racing sell the carbon trumpets along with the larger silicone hoses to accomodate them properly. I can see the carbon intake pipe freeing things up a little, but I would say it is more on the subtle side.

Also I know my mind has been up and down however while it might come as a surprise after recent developments just in general since last time I am now quite likely going to be moving the car on when the remaining bits to do are sorted.

It's a hard one and quite complicated to explain. A lot of it has come down to feeling I am better off only really needing one V6, and predictably that one is the 147 GTA. I know I haven't really used the GT as much but still for some reason I just don't feel I have clicked with this one despite the fact that it's a really great and nice looking car in it's own right. It's as though for no fault of it's own my heart hasn't been in it as much as the others. I think all the mounting costs lately of bits that need to be added for it to be sorted ready and the possibility of the ECU needing to be repaired/replaced hasn't helped either. Plus it also goes back to what I referenced earlier of personally being much more seamlessly gelling with cars that I got since then and getting to work on them much faster. I have seen something that I just know would be up my street more and that I would without hesistation decide to use any day of the week and have more fun with without the issue of the bills being bigger more of the time. It's not an Alfa but still Italian, it's just a matter of one the fits my specifications being there, I don't have to sell the GT first in order to get it at least which is good.

Before I can move the GT on there are bits that need doing. In the last week I have ordered a BC Coilover kit (in some ways perhaps not neccessary, however the original suspension is fairly old now and at least it makes it attractive for the future as there is scope to keep it lowered, trim it back for something in between or adjust it to stock height) and a Ragazzon back box with the middle pipe with silencer to replace what is suspected to be the wrong fitment of Scorpion exhaust currently on (exhaust doesn't poke out enough so it looks more like it was for another V6 Alfa, possibly a 156 GTA). In some ways that's the bit I've been a bit reluctant to have to address as you would have thought whoever did it previously would have got it right but they didn't, so needs must. Finally got a few more little cosmetic bits to put on at the end.

I am still looking forward to seeing the final complete enough result, at the same time I'll be sad to move it on but again it's one of those catch 22's where while it is a shame and almost questionable, personally given my preferences and plans it is ultimately for the best. Plus at least I still have one Busso and got to have fun working with and having another for some years.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The coilovers and exhaust are on and not far from finished just some tweaking to make it look right.

Even though it also took some tweaking to get it to look right the Ragazzon system by comparison in terms of how the tailpipes are in relation to the car is far more like how it should be. It does make me wonder if the Scorpion on before was maybe for a 147 GTA as the pipes really were too far inwards. Problem is I'm not fully sure, for all I know that could be how it is anyway. The Scorpion is for sale if anyone is interested, due to the uncertaintity of fitment I don't want much so could be a worthwhile buy for someone.

Only thing left is hopefully finding an ECU soon to fit and sort the last main issue, will also be putting chrome inlet pipes back in and the stock air intake back for a more stock look when it comes to moving on. Then I'll have a bit of time to drive it and make sure everything is working as it should. I'm not that far from wrapping this project up really, admittedly if I was keeping the car there are probably more bits I could have added but given I plan to let it go there is a fine line in which I have to balance it up.

·
Vendor
48,807 Posts
Even though it also took some tweaking to get it to look right the Ragazzon system by comparison in terms of how the tailpipes are in relation to the car is far more like how it should be. It does make me wonder if the Scorpion on before was maybe for a 147 GTA as the pipes really were too far inwards. Problem is I'm not fully sure, for all I know that could be how it is anyway. The Scorpion is for sale if anyone is interested, due to the uncertaintity of fitment I don't want much so could be a worthwhile buy for someone.
No way a 147 GTA exhaust would fit a GT, they are loads shorter between the rear subframe and the rear bumper. Also the tailpipe position is different with respect to the location of the hangers.

A 156 GTA exhaust would fit but the 156 GTA tailpipes are much closer to the passenger side of the car, not a great lot different in terms of distance from the hangers.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
No way a 147 GTA exhaust would fit a GT, they are loads shorter between the rear subframe and the rear bumper. Also the tailpipe position is different with respect to the location of the hangers.

A 156 GTA exhaust would fit but the 156 GTA tailpipes are much closer to the passenger side of the car, not a great lot different in terms of distance from the hangers.
I'm convinced the 156 platform was intended for LHD as I swear the Busso sounds better in the front passenger seat of RHD cars.

The airbox and exhaust all being on that side...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
A seemingly dead thread now comes back to life. And things have changed a lot, mindset, car and everything.

I decided to finally tackle the ECU issue more recently, after being scammed by a smaller but supposedly reputable Alfa Breaker shortly after my last post who in my eyes is just a worthless scumbag who just takes your money and run. Although I don't want to really to think about that anymore so when time had gone by more I approached things again, this time using what I already had.

To confirm if it was the ECU I had the 147 GTA's ECU taken out and virginised and programmed for the GT. Once in the good news was that it wasn't cutting out anymore but it was still showing a voltage/power drain albeit not as bad. This turned out to be the alternator. Along with the other cosmetic changes about to be shown and mentioned the alternator was replaced just over a week ago and thankfully all is good now.

Even better was that I got the GT's original ECU repaired and rebuilt. Upon removal of the ECU, Gareth quite easily found the issue.

Office equipment Automotive radiator part Gas Electronic instrument Automotive exterior

As you can see, it turns out one of the connecting pins had bent, which pretty much explains all the symptoms and issues. I had it sent down to ECU Testing, where the pin was put back into place and straightened, along with having it rebuilt just in case.

While I was having this done I did some more cosmetic mods to make it more to my liking. I had the chrome inlet trumpet pipes put back on, fitted the silver Cloverleaf wheels on and also had Gareth do a bit of DIY with some honeycomb plastic mesh I purchased and had the grill modernised/sleeked up. Not huge stuff in it's own right but it has made a massive difference overall.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Motor vehicle Car Hood Vehicle Automotive air manifold

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

When I came and saw it after all these years I was really taken a back by it. Not only with all the work gone in and not driven it for literally years before yesterday, I forgot how good it was. So far I've driven it back home yesterday, been to a mini fish and chips meet at the Motorist this evening and planning to go to the Italian Car meet there again tomorrow morning. However in that short time I just feel I gel with it and it just feels so nice and smooth to drive. To be honest I am coming to the conclusion that I will be keeping this now and this is the car I also want to make over more in the future like I did with the GTA.

One of my V6's will be going still. It is probably surprising and something that didn't seem likely but it is looking likely I am going to be moving my 147 GTA on. Maybe as my tastes/styles have changed a bit over time it does feel like a natural decision/conclusion rather than a pressured one. I have at least had a good set of years with it and feel I have done enough of what I'd liked to on it to make it a worthwhile ownership and journey. I also accept that some journeys do eventually come to an end. Truth be told I find the GT a better and nicer drive than the GTA and well, as previously mentioned I am finding that it just suits me more.

Before anyone jumps to conclusions though, my GTA is not going yet as I still need time, plus I want to still use what I have for show season, so when that starts winding down that's when I'll start moving ahead with it. Also there a few bits I'll want to keep for myself to take off and change around first. Also I don't know what route I'm going to take to sell it yet either so respectfully now probably isn't the right moment when it comes to selling questions.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
GT life is going fairly well, been to a few meets and locations. Been very enjoyable and the car is great. Went to the AROC East Midlands evening meet and then to the NY500 a few days later.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Cloud Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Cloud

Now prepared for Spring Alfa Day for tomorrow with it. After that I'll put it away for a bit. I've got my transformed Fiat Coupe 16VT finished and want to use my other cars for a bit, plus it doesn't look like I'll be selling any of them now.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
It has been a while, to be honest I'm not really as active as I used to be forum wise and Facebook, although to be honest I'm much happier now that I've stopped using FB a while back for my updates bit of development/pictures Italain car wise.

Anyway the time has come here where I close the book on this one and move on from this chapter. I came to my senses a while ago in which scaling down would be more ideal and to be honest I just don't use or click with my GT enough compared to what I am keeping. Keeping everything is a nice thought but it's going to end up being more of a burden than enjoyment down the line.

Last week I drove it for the last time and handed it over, it might pop up for sale but I do wonder if the person who bought it may find it get's under their skin and they want to keep it for a bit. Either way it's out of my hands now, I did need to move it on given I've got my 147 GTA transformation green lit and underway this week, which is going to be the main focus of the rest of the year for me.

I put it back to original a bit more for the last shots, refurbed Jetfins back on and also the original intake pipe.

Wheel Tire Cloud Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Cloud Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Land vehicle

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold

Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Cloud Land vehicle Sky

This was one of the more difficult and stalled projects however fortunately it turned out all right in the end.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts