Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Project Grand Turismo 3.2 V6

5495 37
It has been 8 months but the time is finally nearing for work to begin on my GT 3.2. After the considerable work done on getting my 147 GTA into shape it gave me the desire to expand and add another V6 to develop. I had looked around at the start of the year but nothing at the time really tempted me enough - it is made more tricky when you want something different from the GTA but still nice enough in terms of what you envision doing on it.

Near the end of the January a low mileage and well spec'd GT 3.2 appeared, sold by Mylson Ltd as it turned out a good reputable place. Under 36k miles, solid black with red leather interior, BOSE, 330 Brembo's and 18 Jetfins. It was enough to make me keep looking however I've learned sometimes it is best not to go for the first thing you see so I sort of went in and out. Also if you give it longer then if it is still about then in terms of negotiating things may go a bit more in your favour. Around March time it was still for sale and nothing else had really come up that made as big of an impression as this did so after asking Gareth at Northern Alfa for his opinion (which I do now given all the work the GTA needed in which I went and got it before telling him) I went to have a look armed with the always helpful advice he gave. He said it did look to be a nice one, however as always there are areas to check that the pictures in the ads don't show, main one being the sills underneath when it comes to GT's.

Given the weather this year typically it was a pretty murky morning I ended up choosing to go but there's nothing I can do about the weather. Journey wasn't too bad as most of it was rural, it was only when I got to Stockport that I had to get through the unfamiliar roundabouts in one piece. When I arrived the car was out and had just been cleaned/hoovered prepared and all which these days is quite a nice surprise given all the complaints you hear of places where when the possible customer turns up they got told "oh sorry it's not ready" despite it all being arranged or worse it's not even on the premises. The main boss who I spoke to on the phone wasn't there on the day however the other main member of staff there was very good and the person who I went for a test drive with was also nice to get along with, turns out they are pretty into cars and have also come to like Alfas quite a lot. The main boss I got told also owns a Stelvio Quad. The car looked very nice in person, after checking underneath I couldn't see anything bad about the sills it all looked smooth, along with the underside not looking bad in general. Engine bay looked the usual pre detailed state but that is how I wanted it anyway given my plans. Good thing was the cambelt cover is intact, the fusebox is cracked but that is easily taken care of. The interior was in a really good state, not faded very clean with little wear, only thing which is common and the same as my GTA was the sticky and somewhat warped window switches. The exhaust system was also fully intact at least this time, the stock one had rotted so had been replaced with a Scorpion before being put up for sale. I know the Scorpion isn't my thing and it will get replaced at some point, however at least this time I'll be able to get a bit more back on it due to it not being bodged and partially chopped.

On driving it felt nice, engine sounded fine without any bad rattling. Quite a bit more comfortable compared to the GTA, you build up speed in this and it's like Concord class, hard to believe you are getting up to 70 so rapidly with the smootheness and refinement. Only big thing I noticed was that the clutch was defintely on it's way out, slipping a lot and the travel is right near the end before it just about bites. I felt the car was still worth going for given all the other main bits appeared to be good. It came to the sitting down at the desk part and this is the first time I feel where I have done a form of proper negotiating, I got £750 off the asking price which I was happy with and they were happy to sell for. This included it being delivered to my house by them which was nice.

Upon delivery the car stayed at mine for a bit.

I gave it the odd drive a few times, one to drop it off and store it in the unit and the other was an emergency to get to work on a nightshift as my GTA's clutch had gone and my newly purchased Giulietta Cloverleaf was in for work getting it up to speed for use. After that I dropped it back off where it has remained stored, I was a bit weary given the clutch however I got assured by Gareth it was at a state where I could still drive it and get away with it for the short distances it would be doing.

Fast forward to now where in just over a week the first major work begins. I have in the meantime purchased bits for it ready, some maintainance wise and some cosmetic/enhancements.

The initial check over was much better, the good points:

-Somehow lucked out and got an example with completely undamaged sills
-Cambelt seems to have been done ok enough (will be getting done again soon with the engine painting since it was last done June 2016)
-Black paintwork still very good for age, especially the side as it reflects very well still, bodywork is nice in general for age
-Red leather seats in very nice shape, still nice and dark and not brightly faded
-Generally feels solid and nice when running/driving

The bits that need doing are mainly the clutch, there's some general minor cosmetic amd mechanical bits, however it's nowhere near as bad as the GTA was when I started that, so in terms of getting it to look nice and refined it's likely going to be quicker to do.

Jobs near the end of this month to get the project going are the clutch being replaced, a Q2 diff being added, undertray replaced with a new one and the air intake replaced with a new one as the current one has a split in the rubber part on the 90 degree angle part at the top.

This probably won't be as big as the GTA project, it's hard to see anything eclipsing that, plus I'll probably always have that as my favourite as it was the first big project I did, along with being my first V6 and other sentimental bits. This one should still be a worthy one as time goes on, I don't think I'd expect it at any meets or shows for a while as I'd like to have the engine done and detailed before thinking about taking it anywhere. It may not be long before that goes ahead anyway though.

Also I'm now let loose on Instagram as real.captainj for anyone interested. I'll see how it goes.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, it is more personal preference regarding the Scorpion. I can see why quite a few people go for them as they are a good replacement for the stock system when it deteriorates too much in terms of offering the original sound with maybe a bit more bark. It is just I have got hooked on the Wizard system now so as time goes on that's what I'll be getting fitted instead. The quality and the fact they are so light still amazes me. They aren't to everyones taste though I'll admit regarding sound. I know I'll be getting the manifolds and flexi pipes from Wizard again, I may mix it up a bit this time possibly with a ragazzon system on the exhaust/backbox side however again the Wizard is still quite high up there on the consideration list.

I am partial to red with tan, although I've already got that combo elsewhere so this time something a bit different was probably better. I remember my first Alfa was a Giulietta MA 1.4 that I got in 2014 which was black with red leather and I really liked that, the feeling is just the same on this one too.

·
Registered
231 Posts
They are my top two colour combos. When I got my 170 Cloverleaf it came with the original black leather which I soon swapped out for tan with heated seats. Still have to swap the door cards, glove box and arm rest over then I'll put the black up for sale. It was like sitting at a coal face in there... Most of my cars are black and my bikes red... :geek: I've always wanted red leather though...

I thought that'd be the response on the exhaust.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did the same on my Giulietta when it came to swapping seats over recently, had wanted tan but knew it was difficult to even find a set. I got lucky though and did and I am really happy with the lighter interior combined with the red. Was a bit sad to sell the black leather though, I know I prefer tan it was more the fact the black set I had was in really nice condition which is getting harder to find nowadays. Still I am much happier with the tan which is the main thing there.

As a whole I have mainly gone for red cars, I do like other colours though so there are always going to be some times when I will go another direction like on the GT. Even though black is a pain when it comes to keeping clean and showing up dirt I like it on the GT, especially with the silver wheels which to me is a combo that can't go wrong. I'll likely not change the wheels as for some reason I think the Jetfins work and flow nicer with the GT over the 147 GTA when I had some on that. I think it's more that swooping coupe design especially towards the back which makes it go better at least in my eyes.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I know, holy crazy thread/project revival!

Quite a lot happened since my last post, however it's really about time I got this project off the ground. First thing while maybe it seems surprising, I have decided that I will likely be moving this on, however I don't want to abandon what is still going to be a nice project/refining effort. So I am still going to go ahead with what needs doing and the main things I want to do.

The GT 3.2 is a great car, however the reason behind these developments/change of heart is partly down to things clashing too much with the other cars I have and also because the GTV TS Ph2 and the Fiat Coupe 16VT I have also got since I have just personally bonded to better and have been more enthusiastic to work on. I've done more to those two in a much shorter space of time compared to how long I've had the GT; the GTV has already even been to it's first show last year, less than a year after I took ownership of it!

My bucket list isn't done yet and if I want to change it's now a case of something has to go, while the GT and my 147 GTA have differences due to the type of cars they are, looks wise and engine wise it for me at least that's where there is just too much of a simularity for me to keep both so one has to go. Given my 147 GTA thread and how that just keeps going I cannot get rid of that so sadly at some point the GT will be the car to go if all goes as planned. Do I regret buying the GT? Absolutely not and I wouldn't go back and change that, plus I'm still looking forward to what I am planning!

Anyway, since last time, the radiator and pipes have been replaced and I also had a new set of Blackline headlights fitted that I purchased from Partsworld. The nice refurbished set of Jetfins with the Michelin PS4's will be going on so that's the wheels/tyres sorted.

I am currently placing an order for a set of Wizard exhaust manifolds and flexi pipes which upon those being ready (there is a bit of a wait which I was prepared for) the main bit of the makeover can begin. A lot of it is going to be in one go, so when the manifolds and flexis go in, the cambelt is going to be done, engine detailed/painted, new grooved discs fitted and the bigger 330 calipers it has will be given a fresh coat of red paint and nice decals to match. There might be a few other bits afterwards however that is the main gist of it, end result will be worthwhile though I think.

·
Registered
213 Posts

Might I suggest... Black wheels?

For me the GT never looked quite cohesive with the silver. When I saw one with black Q2's, I had to have it!

I'm sure it'll be great by the end, I'd love a 3.2 GT if I had anywhere to put it!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, think it was just under 9k. Probably on the top end at the time, however the amount of GT 3.2's just appearing for sale now compared to back then appears to have dropped quite a bit yet alone ones with lower mileage so nowadays it doesn't look too bad.

Deposit is now down for the manifolds and flexis so at least things are moving somewhat, will still be April at the earliest and likely more around May when all the work is done and the car can be driven and shown.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Thanks, think it was just under 9k. Probably on the top end at the time, however the amount of GT 3.2's just appearing for sale now compared to back then appears to have dropped quite a bit yet alone ones with lower mileage so nowadays it doesn't look too bad.

Deposit is now down for the manifolds and flexis so at least things are moving somewhat, will still be April at the earliest and likely more around May when all the work is done and the car can be driven and shown.
You sure lucked out to get one with mileage that low, unfecked sills and leather with almost no wear. Will look forward to seeing her when you have finished your work!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fingers crossed but as of today when it comes to the parts it looks like I have everything. The manifolds and flexis arrived today, they look the part as usual, will be dropping them off next week.

Also I've got more into this since last time especially with finding and ordering certain parts that will mainly on the engine bay front look a bit different but not over the top, so I'm now in the frame of mind that I'm likely going to keep the car. If that means I have to let go of my GTV instead at some point for what I might tick off the list then that's how it will have to be (although who knows I might find a way to keep that too as running/maintainance wise it's not really a massive amount thankfully).

I've also decided to get the Jetfins refinished, hopefully in time for when the work get's going but we'll see, it'll be on the Cloverleafs until then which are nice anyway. I'll be taking them over at the start of next week to discuss the colour I am going for (there's loads of different/custom variations with where I am going so I'm likely spoilt for choice a bit so I'll be deliberating over which one would work best).

I would like to get coilovers on and also replace the Scorpion system at the back (most likely with a Ragazzon as I'd like a setup a bit different and fusioned this time compared to what my 147 GTA has) however it'll probably still be nice enough until that time after this upcoming work. It will likely sound better anyway for now once these manifolds and flexis go on.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some surprising and good news today, the Jetfins that I dropped off on Monday have already been refinished that I was able to collect them today just before it was too late. Was told it would be end of the week or right at the start of the next which I was still happy with so this is great! Really happy with the outcome so many thanks to PB Powder Coatings Ltd. I was a bit more fussy on colour this time, I didn't want a full on silver but didn't want a full on dark grey either, so I've gone for a darkish silver/lightish grey which varies depending on light, looks really nice in person. It looks to be fitting with the subtle almost seamless/balanced direction I am going for this time.

I'll be able to drop them off before weeks end ready for the work next week.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Progress is going steady, took the smaller bits to be shotblasted and painted black over to Metal Magic yesterday. All being well I'd imagine they'll be done soon. Only snag and I know that with something like this there's always going to be something is the 2 parts that form the timing covers and the pair of top and bottom engine covers haven't been started on until this week despite getting another set separate and dropping them off 2 weeks ago aiming to avoid the work going right down to the wire at the end of the week (just to be clear it wasn't at Metal Magic this was another place I've used which hasn't gone entirely to plan this time). Bit annoying when those are one of the big contributing parts that will make the engine pop with what's around it and also are needed to put everything back together so the car can driven/tested and moved.

The manifolds and flexis are also getting started on as of today.

Even though it was done a while ago the new set of Blackline headlights that have been fitted look nice and will work with the other bits going on.

Given the tight timing I won't be taking it to Sherburn this Sunday but all being well I'm more aiming to go to Newby Hall the following Sunday with it. Bout time it made it's debut at a show given I've had it sat there for 2 years!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More updates, both good and bad.

Things can progress now as the engine and the pair of timing covers got completed this morning so was able to go and get them and drop them off. I know I was whinging a bit but it was a really nice job so I appreciate it all. Bad bit is that I won't be going to Newby with it so it'll be the 147 GTA this time, mind you, that's not exactly bad!

This is because a few more little issues crept up which I felt were best addressed first. Main one the brake cables which aren't very good so I'll be getting some braided ones like I did with the GTA. Also the throttle body isn't great but can be lived with. Good thing is the separate top engine cover I had painted had a throttle body in it when purchased so that issue might be solved quickly. In the long run it will be beneficial even though it will probably be MITCAR by the time it is ready, possibly Raby Castle but no guarantees. I will still be able to show shots of the car in the meantime in a complete enough form though.

This update wouldn't be an update without some pictures of revealing some more interesting parts bits. First the other carbon cambelt cover I had lying around that I purchased for myself is getting used on this.

Now the engine cover area, this is getting me excited, had them done in 8C red with silver lettering and patterns. It is the earlier more brighter version of the colour to contrast with the darker surrounding parts/areas.

Finally all the parts underneath that that were shotblasted and repainted gloss black by Metal Magic all laid out next to the 8C red engine parts ready for the cambelt change and re-assembly to be done now.

There's one other little bit or two that I've not revealed just yet with the decorating which will be better left for when it is back together which I'll reveal on completion.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks, the funny thing is the 8C red was one of the few aspects I was fully sure of in my head long before the work finally got going. Probably helps with the red interior so it can quite safely carry on the black and red theme in the other areas.

I was going to take some shots of the newly red painted brake calipers and grooved discs area but have ended up misplacing the white Alfa Romeo decals so I've ordered a new set. No doubt the other set will get found some time after these ones I've ordered again have been put on.

It's also handy how I had the carbon cambelt cover to use as it turned out the original cover on the car had a hole in it so it is no good anyway. I do at least have an undamaged original that I managed to find on eBay coming up to a few years ago just in case.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right, while as mentioned the car isn't fully there yet, I can now happily show some pictures. The brake decals still need doing along with the braided brake hoses which have now arrived at least. The other issue is that the car was still cutting out despite the other throttle body with the Motor Control Unit failure message, giving it some throttle stops it and fortunately it drives nice so the engine itself is very good. Could be ECU but until Gareth investigates it further then can't really jump to conclusions just yet.

The last bits to be revealed are a pretty nice custom oil cap I got off eBay with the Cloverleaf metal engraved logo on, and also some carbon inlet/trumpet pipes as the originals were ruined (some clown in it's past ownership put something on it presumably to try and clean it up that pretty much burnished them beyond any sort of refurb).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts