Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been 8 months but the time is finally nearing for work to begin on my GT 3.2. After the considerable work done on getting my 147 GTA into shape it gave me the desire to expand and add another V6 to develop. I had looked around at the start of the year but nothing at the time really tempted me enough - it is made more tricky when you want something different from the GTA but still nice enough in terms of what you envision doing on it.

Near the end of the January a low mileage and well spec'd GT 3.2 appeared, sold by Mylson Ltd as it turned out a good reputable place. Under 36k miles, solid black with red leather interior, BOSE, 330 Brembo's and 18 Jetfins. It was enough to make me keep looking however I've learned sometimes it is best not to go for the first thing you see so I sort of went in and out. Also if you give it longer then if it is still about then in terms of negotiating things may go a bit more in your favour. Around March time it was still for sale and nothing else had really come up that made as big of an impression as this did so after asking Gareth at Northern Alfa for his opinion (which I do now given all the work the GTA needed in which I went and got it before telling him) I went to have a look armed with the always helpful advice he gave. He said it did look to be a nice one, however as always there are areas to check that the pictures in the ads don't show, main one being the sills underneath when it comes to GT's.

Given the weather this year typically it was a pretty murky morning I ended up choosing to go but there's nothing I can do about the weather. Journey wasn't too bad as most of it was rural, it was only when I got to Stockport that I had to get through the unfamiliar roundabouts in one piece. When I arrived the car was out and had just been cleaned/hoovered prepared and all which these days is quite a nice surprise given all the complaints you hear of places where when the possible customer turns up they got told "oh sorry it's not ready" despite it all being arranged or worse it's not even on the premises. The main boss who I spoke to on the phone wasn't there on the day however the other main member of staff there was very good and the person who I went for a test drive with was also nice to get along with, turns out they are pretty into cars and have also come to like Alfas quite a lot. The main boss I got told also owns a Stelvio Quad. The car looked very nice in person, after checking underneath I couldn't see anything bad about the sills it all looked smooth, along with the underside not looking bad in general. Engine bay looked the usual pre detailed state but that is how I wanted it anyway given my plans. Good thing was the cambelt cover is intact, the fusebox is cracked but that is easily taken care of. The interior was in a really good state, not faded very clean with little wear, only thing which is common and the same as my GTA was the sticky and somewhat warped window switches. The exhaust system was also fully intact at least this time, the stock one had rotted so had been replaced with a Scorpion before being put up for sale. I know the Scorpion isn't my thing and it will get replaced at some point, however at least this time I'll be able to get a bit more back on it due to it not being bodged and partially chopped.

On driving it felt nice, engine sounded fine without any bad rattling. Quite a bit more comfortable compared to the GTA, you build up speed in this and it's like Concord class, hard to believe you are getting up to 70 so rapidly with the smootheness and refinement. Only big thing I noticed was that the clutch was defintely on it's way out, slipping a lot and the travel is right near the end before it just about bites. I felt the car was still worth going for given all the other main bits appeared to be good. It came to the sitting down at the desk part and this is the first time I feel where I have done a form of proper negotiating, I got £750 off the asking price which I was happy with and they were happy to sell for. This included it being delivered to my house by them which was nice.

Upon delivery the car stayed at mine for a bit.

I gave it the odd drive a few times, one to drop it off and store it in the unit and the other was an emergency to get to work on a nightshift as my GTA's clutch had gone and my newly purchased Giulietta Cloverleaf was in for work getting it up to speed for use. After that I dropped it back off where it has remained stored, I was a bit weary given the clutch however I got assured by Gareth it was at a state where I could still drive it and get away with it for the short distances it would be doing.

Fast forward to now where in just over a week the first major work begins. I have in the meantime purchased bits for it ready, some maintainance wise and some cosmetic/enhancements.

The initial check over was much better, the good points:

-Somehow lucked out and got an example with completely undamaged sills
-Cambelt seems to have been done ok enough (will be getting done again soon with the engine painting since it was last done June 2016)
-Black paintwork still very good for age, especially the side as it reflects very well still, bodywork is nice in general for age
-Red leather seats in very nice shape, still nice and dark and not brightly faded
-Generally feels solid and nice when running/driving

The bits that need doing are mainly the clutch, there's some general minor cosmetic amd mechanical bits, however it's nowhere near as bad as the GTA was when I started that, so in terms of getting it to look nice and refined it's likely going to be quicker to do.

Jobs near the end of this month to get the project going are the clutch being replaced, a Q2 diff being added, undertray replaced with a new one and the air intake replaced with a new one as the current one has a split in the rubber part on the 90 degree angle part at the top.

This probably won't be as big as the GTA project, it's hard to see anything eclipsing that, plus I'll probably always have that as my favourite as it was the first big project I did, along with being my first V6 and other sentimental bits. This one should still be a worthy one as time goes on, I don't think I'd expect it at any meets or shows for a while as I'd like to have the engine done and detailed before thinking about taking it anywhere. It may not be long before that goes ahead anyway though.

Also I'm now let loose on Instagram as real.captainj for anyone interested. I'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
231 Posts
That's really nice. Lovely colour and seat combo. I hope I'd find on like that in the future, either in that colour combo or red/tan like my 170 Cloverleaf is now. Out of curiosity- what's wrong with the scorpion exhaust?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, it is more personal preference regarding the Scorpion. I can see why quite a few people go for them as they are a good replacement for the stock system when it deteriorates too much in terms of offering the original sound with maybe a bit more bark. It is just I have got hooked on the Wizard system now so as time goes on that's what I'll be getting fitted instead. The quality and the fact they are so light still amazes me. They aren't to everyones taste though I'll admit regarding sound. I know I'll be getting the manifolds and flexi pipes from Wizard again, I may mix it up a bit this time possibly with a ragazzon system on the exhaust/backbox side however again the Wizard is still quite high up there on the consideration list.

I am partial to red with tan, although I've already got that combo elsewhere so this time something a bit different was probably better. I remember my first Alfa was a Giulietta MA 1.4 that I got in 2014 which was black with red leather and I really liked that, the feeling is just the same on this one too.

·
Registered
231 Posts
They are my top two colour combos. When I got my 170 Cloverleaf it came with the original black leather which I soon swapped out for tan with heated seats. Still have to swap the door cards, glove box and arm rest over then I'll put the black up for sale. It was like sitting at a coal face in there... Most of my cars are black and my bikes red... :geek: I've always wanted red leather though...

I thought that'd be the response on the exhaust.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the same on my Giulietta when it came to swapping seats over recently, had wanted tan but knew it was difficult to even find a set. I got lucky though and did and I am really happy with the lighter interior combined with the red. Was a bit sad to sell the black leather though, I know I prefer tan it was more the fact the black set I had was in really nice condition which is getting harder to find nowadays. Still I am much happier with the tan which is the main thing there.

As a whole I have mainly gone for red cars, I do like other colours though so there are always going to be some times when I will go another direction like on the GT. Even though black is a pain when it comes to keeping clean and showing up dirt I like it on the GT, especially with the silver wheels which to me is a combo that can't go wrong. I'll likely not change the wheels as for some reason I think the Jetfins work and flow nicer with the GT over the 147 GTA when I had some on that. I think it's more that swooping coupe design especially towards the back which makes it go better at least in my eyes.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I know, holy crazy thread/project revival!

Quite a lot happened since my last post, however it's really about time I got this project off the ground. First thing while maybe it seems surprising, I have decided that I will likely be moving this on, however I don't want to abandon what is still going to be a nice project/refining effort. So I am still going to go ahead with what needs doing and the main things I want to do.

The GT 3.2 is a great car, however the reason behind these developments/change of heart is partly down to things clashing too much with the other cars I have and also because the GTV TS Ph2 and the Fiat Coupe 16VT I have also got since I have just personally bonded to better and have been more enthusiastic to work on. I've done more to those two in a much shorter space of time compared to how long I've had the GT; the GTV has already even been to it's first show last year, less than a year after I took ownership of it!

My bucket list isn't done yet and if I want to change it's now a case of something has to go, while the GT and my 147 GTA have differences due to the type of cars they are, looks wise and engine wise it for me at least that's where there is just too much of a simularity for me to keep both so one has to go. Given my 147 GTA thread and how that just keeps going I cannot get rid of that so sadly at some point the GT will be the car to go if all goes as planned. Do I regret buying the GT? Absolutely not and I wouldn't go back and change that, plus I'm still looking forward to what I am planning!

Anyway, since last time, the radiator and pipes have been replaced and I also had a new set of Blackline headlights fitted that I purchased from Partsworld. The nice refurbished set of Jetfins with the Michelin PS4's will be going on so that's the wheels/tyres sorted.

I am currently placing an order for a set of Wizard exhaust manifolds and flexi pipes which upon those being ready (there is a bit of a wait which I was prepared for) the main bit of the makeover can begin. A lot of it is going to be in one go, so when the manifolds and flexis go in, the cambelt is going to be done, engine detailed/painted, new grooved discs fitted and the bigger 330 calipers it has will be given a fresh coat of red paint and nice decals to match. There might be a few other bits afterwards however that is the main gist of it, end result will be worthwhile though I think.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Might I suggest... Black wheels?

For me the GT never looked quite cohesive with the silver. When I saw one with black Q2's, I had to have it!

I'm sure it'll be great by the end, I'd love a 3.2 GT if I had anywhere to put it!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestion however I guess this is where tastes differ a bit as I like the way the silver works against the black. For the most part I'm more into the brighter wheels, black wheels have never really been my thing I'm afraid, I respect that it works for others but it's just not me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts