Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Project drop n tint **Updated 29/02/2012**

As in the title i want to get my mito lowered and get the back windows tinted. Seeing how good it looks a little lower has really made me want to get this done, and with tinted rear windows i think this could look really good.

Lowering:

So i can get the eibach springs that everyone seems to recommend on ebay for £160. But theres some PI ones for £90...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROMEO-MITO-1-4-2008-30mm-PI-LOWERING-SPRINGS-/230703926881?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35b7068e61#ht_5996wt_1396

and some apex ones for £118...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apex-Sports-Suspension-Lowering-Springs-Alfa-Romeo-MiTo-08-30-6210-/260937864214?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc11bd416#ht_3545wt_1396

Are the eibach ones worth the extra money? And when i come out of the driveway at the moment i have to do it at an angle so my front skirts dont scrape on the drive. Which is fine because the 2 other cars park parallel and i come in at an angle (if you know what i mean).

Coming in and out the driveway like this means no scraping at all but would lowering it bring that back?

But anyway heres a shot of the car as is, how do u think it would look if it was dropped and the rear windows tinted (they look a wee bit tinted in the pic but they're not).

Last thing i want to do is make it look chavvy and potentially take value off the car. Il keep the original springs etc so i can put them back on if i ever need to sell.

Epic thread, congrats if you could be arsed to read to the end haha.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Firstly, I would go for the Eibach springs, you get what you pay for, they have a V.G. reputation as being the best. You dont want a spring going, which I have heard can happen on the cheaper varieties, false economy

Thats what I have fitted, and like you are thinking of doing I have kept the originals as a option on resale.

As for your driveway, difficult to say, all I can say, is that I have had no probs. with any speed bumps.

The only thing that was hanging off was the deflector that runs across the underside/front of the car.
I have taken this off (its only stappled on :rolleyes:) no probs. Theres not one on the Punto, and the chassis is the same/simular.

As for looks, many people, including myself, think it gives the car more agresive looks, not so girly, if I dare say :) will certainly not be chavvy.

Bear in mind the ride will be slightly firmer, but everyone to their own.

L

·
0 Posts
I had my windows, spots/lights tinted take a look at the photos, may give you an idea of how it looks.

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
im getting tints on my QV they are going to shade them round so will be legally dark on the back coming lighter round the sides to match in with the windscreen all for £100, bargain....:)

was looking at lowering but there are way too many speed bumps round here and im always hittint that spoiler thing underneath so lowering is a no no, had her all measured up and ready and parts going on order, was having eibach pros, lowered 30mm [i think] but changed my mind.....shes ok as she is methinx:)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Firstly, I would go for the Eibach springs, you get what you pay for, they have a V.G. reputation as being the best. You dont want a spring going, which I have heard can happen on the cheaper varieties, false economy

Thats what I have fitted, and like you are thinking of doing I have kept the originals as a option on resale.

As for your driveway, difficult to say, all I can say, is that I have had no probs. with any speed bumps.

The only thing that was hanging off was the deflector that runs across the underside/front of the car.
I have taken this off (its only stappled on :rolleyes:) no probs. Theres not one on the Punto, and the chassis is the same/simular.

As for looks, many people, including myself, think it gives the car more agresive looks, not so girly, if I dare say :) will certainly not be chavvy.

Bear in mind the ride will be slightly firmer, but everyone to their own.
Thanks for the info dude will keep an eye on the deflector.

I had my windows, spots/lights tinted take a look at the photos, may give you an idea of how it looks.
Looks lovely mate, the red looks so fresh!

im getting tints on my QV they are going to shade them round so will be legally dark on the back coming lighter round the sides to match in with the windscreen all for £100, bargain....:)

was looking at lowering but there are way too many speed bumps round here and im always hittint that spoiler thing underneath so lowering is a no no, had her all measured up and ready and parts going on order, was having eibach pros, lowered 30mm [i think] but changed my mind.....shes ok as she is methinx:)
Ive had no trouble at all with speed bumps so far and i think my mito sits extremely high, especially on the back wheels. Might just do the back? Is that even possible?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Does anyone know if you can fit Eibach's to a QV, just worried because of the active suspension?

C

·
0 Posts
Does anyone know if you can fit Eibach's to a QV, just worried because of the active suspension?
According to the guys at Mangos it shouldn't be a problem. Towney has lowered his QV and I don't think he's had any issues.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thank you! Will wait to see how the 18s look, but always thought my old mito looked a bit high at the back!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Do you have to tell your insurance company?

·
Registered
320 Posts
As in the title i want to get my mito lowered and get the back windows tinted. Seeing how good it looks a little lower has really made me want to get this done, and with tinted rear windows i think this could look really good.
Checking the regulations on tinting the back and rear windows there's nothing illegal in doing it...
chives.gov.uk: Tinted vehicle windows - the rules - Directgov Mobile

Rear visibility is hampered and it is technically a modification. Do you have rear parking sensors ?

Lowering:

So i can get the eibach springs that everyone seems to recommend on ebay for £160. But theres some PI ones for £90...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROMEO-MITO-1-4-2008-30mm-PI-LOWERING-SPRINGS-/230703926881?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35b7068e61#ht_5996wt_1396

and some apex ones for £118...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apex-Sports-Suspension-Lowering-Springs-Alfa-Romeo-MiTo-08-30-6210-/260937864214?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc11bd416#ht_3545wt_1396

Are the eibach ones worth the extra money? And when i come out of the driveway at the moment i have to do it at an angle so my front skirts dont scrape on the drive. Which is fine because the 2 other cars park parallel and i come in at an angle (if you know what i mean).

Coming in and out the driveway like this means no scraping at all but would lowering it bring that back?

But anyway heres a shot of the car as is, how do u think it would look if it was dropped and the rear windows tinted (they look a wee bit tinted in the pic but they're not).

I would not be a fan of 'lowering' cars. If I had to lower I would opt for Eibachs. Plus you would have to budget for getting the car setup correctly afterwards (in addition to fitting) so that it handles and does not prematurely wear out the tyres. There are regulations over cars being lowered but IIRC you should be OK at 30mm. Some 'lowering' projects affect the ABS, etc.

Noticed recently that KONI are advertising their own springs. If you decided to opt for the Koni Sports from the 135 with a set of matching springs you could claim that you are fitting OEM.

Would you consider a set of Koni FSDs instead - can be got for £499 a lot of technology for the price but you would need to ensure that it comes with a life time warranty and keep the old ones in the event of them having to be replace (under warranty of course) at a later date. This would bring you 'closer' to the adaptive suspension setup of the QV.

Last thing i want to do is make it look chavvy and potentially take value off the car. Il keep the original springs etc so i can put them back on if i ever need to sell.

Epic thread, congrats if you could be arsed to read to the end haha.
Don't forget the costs for re-setting the car up again if you decide to re-instate.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Had my qv lowered, done about 10k miles now and no problems at all. i went for tbe eibach springs.

Also had my windows tinted and a sun strip done. check my pics

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks lovely towney, like those black surrounds.

Thanks for the info multispoke, dont think i could afford the Koni springs but that was a good suggestion. I always thought i would never lower a car because its one of those ones i dont want to swap function for style but seeing that it looks so good...

·
Banned
4,362 Posts
Checking the regulations on tinting the back and rear windows there's nothing illegal in doing it...
chives.gov.uk: Tinted vehicle windows - the rules - Directgov Mobile

Rear visibility is hampered and it is technically a modification. Do you have rear parking sensors ?

I would not be a fan of 'lowering' cars. If I had to lower I would opt for Eibachs. Plus you would have to budget for getting the car setup correctly afterwards (in addition to fitting) so that it handles and does not prematurely wear out the tyres. There are regulations over cars being lowered but IIRC you should be OK at 30mm. Some 'lowering' projects affect the ABS, etc.

Noticed recently that KONI are advertising their own springs. If you decided to opt for the Koni Sports from the 135 with a set of matching springs you could claim that you are fitting OEM.

Would you consider a set of Koni FSDs instead - can be got for £499 a lot of technology for the price but you would need to ensure that it comes with a life time warranty and keep the old ones in the event of them having to be replace (under warranty of course) at a later date. This would bring you 'closer' to the adaptive suspension setup of the QV.

Don't forget the costs for re-setting the car up again if you decide to re-instate.

:tut: garbage with a capital G :rolleyes:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Had my qv lowered, done about 10k miles now and no problems at all. i went for tbe eibach springs.

Also had my windows tinted and a sun strip done. check my pics
Towney your Mito is stunning,

My mito is getting lowered on saterday, i will upload some pictures afterwards :thumbs:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hi MartyMito, my mito will definitely be getting lowered tomorrow and i currently have tinted windows (70% fronts and 35% backs) I'll take some pictures tomorrow and start a new thread for you to get an idea of what it looks like.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi MartyMito, my mito will definitely be getting lowered tomorrow and i currently have tinted windows (70% fronts and 35% backs) I'll take some pictures tomorrow and start a new thread for you to get an idea of what it looks like.
Nice one dude, look forward to seeing it. I need to wait until next month until i can go ahead with mine now unfortunately but will update this thread when i do. You gettin the fronts tinted too? Keen to see that.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts