Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is a picture of the 33 I am going to do up......very bog standard at the moment.

First couple of days were spent getting the engine, gearbox and all engine bay components removed for cleaning. Plan is to clean up and paint the engine bay and all associated parts. I am also going to clean all the front suspension components now as they are removed from the car any way. Will also tidy up under the wheel arches.

Attachments

K

·
0 Posts
nice work there, makes a change to see a 33 getting some attention :cool:
what colour are you doing the engine?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is what the passenger side wheel well looks like, and the drivers side wheel well after a clean up. Now that I have gone this far I have a feeling the arch liner will be coming off again so I can give the exposed metal a fresh coat of paint and also de tar the liner to make it look as new.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice work there, makes a change to see a 33 getting some attention :cool:
what colour are you doing the engine?

Still haven't got that far in my mind yet :lol: it depends as I am probably putting something in short term now until I get hold of a 16V for it, but whatever goes in will get a clean up and lick of paint, I can't stand a dirty engine bay.

K

·
0 Posts
Still haven't got that far in my mind yet :lol: it depends as I am probably putting something in short term now until I get hold of a 16V for it, but whatever goes in will get a clean up and lick of paint, I can't stand a dirty engine bay.
so i see :lol:
nice work and keep the pics coming :thumbs:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At the moment its getting a 105 with 40s until I can get hold of a 16v, plan then will be to put it on Carbs 45s if I can get / afford them, I know there are always the Injection vs Carb debates but I just love good old fashsioned Carbies :lol: nothing like burning fuel for no good reason :)

Also looks like the 105 motor going in is going to be a twin of Kevjtds engine ( hope you don't mind kevjtd ), plan was to do the block in black But all I had in the shed was silver and red.

I have most of the front suspension painted, all the rear suspension painted, fuel tank cleaned treated and painted now just have to put it all backm on again :rolleyes: I didn't plan to go this far but when I saw just how good the body is ( not a bit of rust in sight ) it would be a shame not to, anyway I am enjoying it now.

K

·
0 Posts
At the moment its getting a 105 with 40s until I can get hold of a 16v, plan then will be to put it on Carbs 45s if I can get / afford them, I know there are always the Injection vs Carb debates but I just love good old fashsioned Carbies :lol: nothing like burning fuel for no good reason :)

Also looks like the 105 motor going in is going to be a twin of Kevjtds engine ( hope you don't mind kevjtd ), plan was to do the block in black But all I had in the shed was silver and red.

I have most of the front suspension painted, all the rear suspension painted, fuel tank cleaned treated and painted now just have to put it all backm on again :rolleyes: I didn't plan to go this far but when I saw just how good the body is ( not a bit of rust in sight ) it would be a shame not to, anyway I am enjoying it now.
go for it mate, i really like the red and silver look :cool: with the odd bit of black ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Couple more pics of some of the things I have been doing. Fuel tank before and after. Firstly cleaned with a wire brush and then a wire brush on a drill, no sparks thank God :lol: then treated with hammerite and than covered in a light coat of underseal to stop the Hammerite from getting chipped off. Also gave one of the cam covers a clean, not perfect but good enough for this hopefully temporary engine. Will take some pictures of the completed back axle and post them up asap, then just have to refit them, thats the easy bit :) Engine is nearly finished also so will take some pics of that too.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I don't want power steering on this car.

If I try to fit my old sprint steering rack I will also have to fit the matching steering column and bracketry etc, this then means the 33 indicator stalk assembly will have to be changed to a sud / sprint one and I would need to make a custom made cowling for it all :cry:

I like the easy options best so before doing all this.

Does anyone know if there is a non power assisted steering rack from older 33s that will fit straight into a series 3 car without having to modify or change the steering column and bracket etc. Or if some countries did not have power steering on the series 3s, then I could just get a steering rack from that market and save a lot of messing about.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I don't want power steering on this car.

If I try to fit my old sprint steering rack I will also have to fit the matching steering column and bracketry etc, this then means the 33 indicator stalk assembly will have to be changed to a sud / sprint one and I would need to make a custom made cowling for it all :cry:

I like the easy options best so before doing all this.

Does anyone know if there is a non power assisted steering rack from older 33s that will fit straight into a series 3 car without having to modify or change the steering column and bracket etc. Or if some countries did not have power steering on the series 3s, then I could just get a steering rack from that market and save a lot of messing about.
In Denmark you could get a 1,5 ie S3 without powersteering. They are known of a budget model as they don't have the sideprojection rubber things on the doors either. I know a guy who has one. I think it's a 92.

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
Actually if you find an S2 Ti 's steering rack, which is non power steering, then you can change yours , direct swap. Again you will need to change the steering arms to the shock absorbers but the steering column inside is the same.

The reason you cant use the Sprint's steering is because although the Sprint has the same space from the engine firewall to the front crossmember , the hight of the Sprint inside the engine bay is shorter than the 33's - also the reason why you cant fit the left and right support bars of the 33 in the engine bay of a Sprint unmodified- so the lenght and angle of the steering column is different than the 33's.

Hope this helps, but again, not recommended to downgrade your steering

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, look like the easiest option will be to find a rack that will go straight in.

Looks like I better start ringing around. If any one has part numbers please let me know :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Few more small jobs done.

Dismantled the throttle linkage system and cleaned and painted it. Johnny 5 will reassemble later today.

Cleaned the flexible fuel filler hose and it seems in good enough condition :) not sure if these standard enough clips will be up to the job though as one of the ones that came off was more like a Sardine tin opener :lol:

Have cleaned one of the wheel drums assemblies and painted it , you can see what it used to look like.... the other side is not yet done :eek:

Also a picture of the back axle which I hope to get on today. Had to use my imagination when it came to new pipe for the end of the springs, the Garden hose is now about 5ft shorter :cheese: seems like it will work ok though, just wish I had black :( although the boy racers will think I have uprated springs :lol:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts