Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured it was about time.

My 147 GTA is not the only car I am working on, admiteddly it has received the majority of the focus over the last year and a half however I have been doing bits to my 2011 Giulietta Cloverleaf I have settled with now. Given it is my daily driver for the most part work on it will be a little slower however all being well there is quite a bit of stuff I've still got planned, it should intensify at the start of next year.

I've already come reasonably far in the just under 6 months I've owned it compared to when I first got it. Originally I was going to carry on going with my Launch Edition however I sort of hit a brick wall with it in terms of going any further and I really wanted to go back to a manual which I just naturally prefer driving. I sold my Launch Edition and purchased a nicely specced 2011 Cloverleaf with just under 60k miles on it so low mileage for the age. It was a nice spec to work with, full black leather with red stitching, sunroof, rear parking sensors, 18 horseshoes which I prefer and xenon headlights.

In terms of making sure it was all mechanically good thankfully not a great deal had to be done. The cambelt was done at my request before it was handed to me as it was due for a change, all the other bits were just general servicing/preventative maintainance which wasn't too bad so things were up and running quickly. All this was done pretty fast as because my 147 GTA's clutch went and the other parts to go along with it took a lot longer than planned, I instead had the work wanted on my Giulietta done booked in place instead just in time for National Alfa Day so I could still take some sexy Italian machinery with me!

Along with a full service, I had the newer turbo feed oil pipe installed, a new fuel cap to replace the snapped old one, a new coolant tank to prevent the issue on my previous Launch Edition's tank which developed a crack happening before I can sort it and finally transferring the Wizard backbox plus Ascari straight through middle pipe over. All done in the nick of time and ready for the show.

Even though it was all a bit last minute and not quite as developed I was happy to take her to the show, knowing I had more to come on it as well.

Next thing was the wheels, brakes and some more cosmetics. I know some people would probably ask why since I know Anthracite with red is a good combo and does work well admiteddly, however I am a sucker for sparkly silver so I had the wheels refurbed by Metal Magic who did a really nice job as usual.

I wanted to freshen things up a bit, so I purchased the newer style honeycomb grill, new logo wheel caps, boot badge and steering wheel badge and had them all fitted. The grill was a bit of an unexpected situation as I got sent the wrong one by accident from a MiTo, however it all got sorted in time for fitting.

The brakes were also a part that needed attention, so I purchased some nice grooved discs with new pads front and rear, little bits but they make all the difference overall.

Making progress now, a shot of how it looked at the East Yorkshire Italia Meet in August.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
For now that was most of it, or so I thought. I hadn't browsed eBay for a few days and something in my head just went search now for Giulietta seats, and lo and behold I came across a set of tan leather seats which had just been listed by a known breaker I had purchased from before. I had wanted tan leather seats from the start but knew I might be waiting a long time if ever given how rare they are, needless to say I bought them without hesitiation. They were pretty dirty and had some predictable wear but a bit of a clean for now and they were still nice.

When they were fitted I was very happy with my decision, I liked it before with the black leather don't get me wrong, however I am a sucker for tan leather.

[

Since then not a great deal has happened, I have had a BMC air filter fitted, it makes a subtle difference for the better but I'd say it is more of a slight refinement, not here or there but you do notice the improvement slightly everywhere in terms of driving. I also bought a set of carbon mirror covers ready to be fitted probably at the beginning of next year along with some other notable bits.

I do have some other bits coming ready for the next bit of work which I'll update on in the future.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, to be honest I quite like the power as it is, although I feel I'm not quite done on the whole exhaust system just yet so there may be a few things I do in the future which may give the power a bit of a boost. The option of a bigger turbo I haven't ruled out either.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally some life in terms of updates. I got my Carbon mirrors along with new mirror glass fitted. Biggest thing though is like with my previous Launch Edition I couldn't resist upgrading the wheels. Last time it was 19 ProDrives and then 19 TI's for a short while. This time it is different as I went for a set of genuine Giulia Quadrifoglio front wheels, which I had to buy individually and got lucky with pricing late last year. I then had them refurbished in gloss anthracite a month ago, I'm happy I went for that option instead of the silver on this occasion. A big thanks and recommendation to Metal Magic Barnsley as usual.

It's not long now until it is a year since I got the car however a fair bit of developing has now been done, up until now most of it was more on the inside and less on the outside, however with this latest development it does look a fair bit more complete all round. Still more to do however right now it is in my eyes a fair bit more show/meet ready. Hopefully the black door handles will be here soon to enhance it more, they were originally planned to be done when the wheels and mirrors went on a few days ago however the supplier is taking longer.

·
Registered
652 Posts
wheels look great. I have a set myself waiting to go on once i can afford the tyres. What size tyres have you fitted out of interest and do they fit OK with no sign of rubbing anywhere? Hows the ride on them too?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tyres are 235/35 R19, Bridgestone Potenzas. They went on surprisingly well, I thought I might be waiting longer until I got the call to say it was all done but it wasn't as long as I thought. There was still some fiddling as predicted but overall it was a nice surprise. It was more difficult when the ProDrives went on as the tyres were 235/40's on that occasion, 235/35's there is some more flexibility, there's no rubbing either. The Bridgestones are also quite consevative in terms of width, so even with 8.5 wide wheels there is still a nice amount of outside protection.

Ride is actually better than before. Quite a bit of it is to do with tyre pressures, 33 at the front and 28 at the rear which does work very well so I am sticking with that. There is a limit and a fine line though, I wouldn't want to go any less, plus if I am carrying anything a bit heavier in the back then bumping up the rear pressure a bit more I'm told will be ok too, however it's very rare that ever happens. It's just me in the car mostly and I don't really weigh much, if you put enough balloons on me I'd probably lift off the ground.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Tyres are 235/35 R19, Bridgestone Potenzas. They went on surprisingly well, I thought I might be waiting longer until I got the call to say it was all done but it wasn't as long as I thought. There was still some fiddling as predicted but overall it was a nice surprise. It was more difficult when the ProDrives went on as the tyres were 235/40's on that occasion, 235/35's there is some more flexibility, there's no rubbing either. The Bridgestones are also quite consevative in terms of width, so even with 8.5 wide wheels there is still a nice amount of outside protection.

Ride is actually better than before. Quite a bit of it is to do with tyre pressures, 33 at the front and 28 at the rear which does work very well so I am sticking with that. There is a limit and a fine line though, I wouldn't want to go any less, plus if I am carrying anything a bit heavier in the back then bumping up the rear pressure a bit more I'm told will be ok too, however it's very rare that ever happens. It's just me in the car mostly and I don't really weigh much, if you put enough balloons on me I'd probably lift off the ground.
Thanks for that. That was the size I was planning on so I'm happy I had that right. Good to hear the ride is good too. I think 235 40 would fit too but the extra circumference would throw the speedo out far too much. just got to save a few more quids and hopefully get mine on before summer.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for that. That was the size I was planning on so I'm happy I had that right. Good to hear the ride is good too. I think 235 40 would fit too but the extra circumference would throw the speedo out far too much. just got to save a few more quids and hopefully get mine on before summer.
235 40's I agree probably would fit but it would take more effort to get them right.

I know tyres aren't the cheapest due to the size of wheel however I thought the Bridgestones were pretty good value, just over £100 a tyre I know still isn't cheap but in my opinion again not too bad for a reputable more high end tyre.

Looks a treat.
I've just gotten a 65plate qv, does the turbo oil feed pipe still need replacing? Or did they upgrade the part.
Thanks, pretty sure that when they went TCT only (2014 onwards) they had the improved turbo oil feed pipe already in, I know my Launch Edition did. I think it was only the manual pre 2014 ones that didn't so with this one I had it installed very soon afterwards to avoid any risk of a busted turbo.

Looks really nice. I much prefer the black seats to the brown though.
Thanks, I understand people's opinions on seats are different, I don't have an issue with black and I do miss my old black leather ones as they were in very good shape, however I am a sucker for more brighter coloured seats.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
My last two Alfa's have had tan leather, wish the qv had. The qv sports seats are nice, I find the seat base very grippy. I struggle to get out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts