Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Verdict:

Bad.

The workshop decided there was too much corrosion on the passenger side ram. As a result, they didn't want to chance a recon incase it failed again!

So trying to save the pennies, I bought a second hand rack removed from another Tbi on ~40,000 miles.

And my rack is top right! Big whoopsie moment.

In all fairness, the rack was removed working and dry stored, so we all weren't to know. There may be an issue with water ingress which is often overlooked because of other (fluid related) PAS issues!

With a big roadtrip looming imminently, I made a phonecall to Paul at Shop4Parts in a big flustery panic. Paid what felt like my inheritance and the deed to my firstborn and had a brand new shiny genuine FCA rack on my doorstep within 24 hours.

Side note- fully assembled steering racks don't come with the nuts used to secure the tie rod ends. I just so happened to ovalise mine when I hammered them into next week trying to free the old rack from the hubs. Try a different approach; a new nut is £4 from main dealer. Each.

-Fast forward-

Totally worth it.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
That replacement rack end is in an awful state, doesn’t appear much rust on yours but I can understand why someone wouldn’t want to recon it as any slight marks/rust will destroy the seal in no time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is the new "Quadriofoglio" oil that replaces the "Sport Power" right?
Where did find this 5L can? I have only seen it in (very expensive) 2L metal cans for now.
And how much was it?
This is the website I used. I did a lot of hunting! It sells 5 litre containers at the lowest price I could find.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It might not come as a surprise, but Covid put a serious stopper on things. Over the past year all has been quiet with the 159 (some may call this a blessing to live in uninteresting times with an Alfa!).

I did install some aftermarket side indicators to add a little life. There was a bit of hype around a new development in the 159 world and I liked the idea of an LED upgrade, so jumped on the bandwagon and plugged these in:

I can't post the video but they're pretty cool in operation. Fitment isn't perfect in the respect they sit slightly proud of the metalwork (in comparison to OEM), but they're solid in the body.

Second major occurrence; Felix celebrated his 100,000th milestone! Call me sad, but I gave him a hip hip hooray to mark the occasion.

Finally, a little sad news.

The car was sat for over 6 weeks while I was on an extended trip with work. During that time Newcastle also suffered some snow and ice; and on my return home a mechanical issue has 'sprung' up!

I'm hilarious.

Regardless, I won't be driving the car until I get this fixed. And since I enjoy spending my money so much, why not give it a treat?!

Stay tuned for expensive car parts...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Finally got round to sorting the new suspension. It's been an eventful installation, to say the least.

I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Continued...

61 - 68 of 68 Posts