Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

·
Vendor
45,421 Posts
Its just one of those jobs that could be worth doing if you have the interior out, depending on the condition of the cables. They're one piece from the calipers all the way to the adjuster on the back of the handbrake lever, there's no short cable like on a 156/147/GT

·
Registered
280 Posts
I’m so pleased you’ve got it running again, and hopefully you’ve found that (apart from the engine!!) it was a well loved and cared for car.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I’m so pleased you’ve got it running again, and hopefully you’ve found that (apart from the engine!!) it was a well loved and cared for car.
Absolutely, we're both very pleased with the way it has turned out. Thanks Alan. :)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
This is now for sale, but it's effectively a short term offer. My Dad has spotted another car that he wants and is likely to buy it if he can sell this asap. If not, hey ho....

I think the thread more than represents the cars condition.

Highlights are;

The spec - late model ti with the alcantara / leather.
What is effectively a brand new engine
New Turbo
Recently rebuilt gearbox
No oil leaks - PCV cover is also new!
New front tyres, good rears.
Full size spare

It's priced to sell at £6,250

Send me a PM if you're interested or an email to;
[email protected]

·
Registered
213 Posts
Wow that looks good. Loved the thread.
Hope you sell it well, given the time and effort you put into it.

It's not for me though. Not because of the technical state, but I'm not interested in a SW and the steering wheel is on the wrong side for me.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It has been a pleasure to read your topic and see what fine job you and your dad did :smokin:

btw Is the turbo for the 159 tbi or Giulietta qv/veloce?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hijacking this thread!

Hi all.

I'm the new owner of this car, and after seeing the exceptional efforts put in by Chris and his old man thought using this thread as a kind of 'legacy electronic history' would be a good idea.

Obviously it's been a while since the change of hands from Chris and his dad to myself. In that time I've had nothing major to report so kept a little silence.

That being said, I've got long term care plans for the car and I'm hoping to keep organised and maintain this page.

Cheers!

Tyler

·
Banned
3,808 Posts
Hijacking this thread!

Hi all.

I'm the new owner of this car, and after seeing the exceptional efforts put in by Chris and his old man thought using this thread as a kind of 'legacy electronic history' would be a good idea.

Obviously it's been a while since the change of hands from Chris and his dad to myself. In that time I've had nothing major to report so kept a little silence.

That being said, I've got long term care plans for the car and I'm hoping to keep organised and maintain this page.

Cheers!

Tyler
It is really refreshing to see projects like this come together and the end result; someone who appreciates the effort, buys a car which can only appreciate in the eyes of true Alfisti. The monetary value is secondary to the intrinsic value of a lovely car restored to "Top - Notch" condition. All credit to Chris and his old man - who must have a name - and the buyer who had the foresight to snap it up. A real bargain in my eyes.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Great read. Looking in to a 159 myself so lovely to see one being cared for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A little about me- my profession sees me spending a number of weeks away from home at various intervals. As a result I get to keep the miles down on the big guy, but adversely so I'm not able to give it regular drives, which are ideal for keeping mechanical systems free and loose.

Unfortunately upon return home from one particular shift, I found a dead battery! And by dead, I mean pooped.

Clicked the key fob to be greeted with the saddest, most lethargic attempt at opening the central locking I've ever experienced, so straight away I knew there was absolutely nothing left in that power supply.

With this in mind I knew there'd probably be no chance of a bump start either (not that I wanted to), so I set about deploying the battery charger to give it a good solid boost. 13.4 Volts later, and Felix (yeah, I've named him. Used the reg plate for inspiration) was firing up on the button. No lights on the dash, so all seemed peachy.

Seemed.

Only a few days (no drives) later, and I'm facing the exact same problem. Perplexing considering the level of power I pumped into the battery only to see it utterly extinguished again in an exceptionally short time.

So I decided to fire the parts cannon, and bought a fresh Yuasa battery with a hefty 580CCA and an even heftier price tag. Nothing but the best, eh?

Shiny new silver juicebox, lovingly replaced on the 6th Feb '20. But still a niggling in the back of my mind that I'm not out of the woods yet. There must be a power drain somewhere, right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Correct I was.

The issue was the hardest thing to notice, ever.

Basically, the glovebox light was permanently on. Only way I spotted it was by wondering why the silver dash trim looked constantly really shiny, both day and night.

After a little research, I find that the glovebox light switch is wired in a normally on position, and is switched off when depressed by the closing glove box lid.

When these pesky little switches are dislodged (sometimes happens when you change the pollen filter), the lid doesn't depress the switch far enough to break the electrical connection, resulting in constant lightey action.

Easy fix. Just take out the cover as though you were going to change the pollen filter (tx20 headed driver only), fiddle with the switch and make sure it's secure. There's a notch it sits in; very obvious when you're in there.

That's the best image I could get of it in situe. Set this up on the 7th Feb, and haven't had any battery issues since. Top job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had a power steering issue that gradually got worse every time I drove the car, up to the point where it would groan really loudly and feel like it wanted to do a backflip every time I turned the wheel. So, I decided to do something about it.

I didn't take a video of the symptoms on my car, but this video showcases the exact same sound and symptoms as I was experiencing;

Loud groan, lots of resistance and frothy fluid.

Turns out there's a common fault in all 159 power steering reservoirs, whereby the filter attached to the return port breaks and essentially causes havoc. As a result, I ordered a brand new reservoir and a couple litres of Petronas GI/R power steering fluid (green stuff) to do a system flush.

Turns out the fluid currently in the car was way more gammy than I expected,

But the flush and change went relatively well with a little help. Quick test of the car and it's quiet as a mouse and effortless on the steering once again.

If anyone wants to know, I followed this guide on changing the reservoir;

And this one on flushing the system;

I didn't have a turkey baster, but the little green ice cream tub worked really well as a catchment device by fitting directly under the old reservoir as I removed the hoses.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts