Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know I broke a cam belt on my GTV a while back. Cuzz started repairing the damage and I decided, to have the GTA cams in the engine, cut. It was done, but when I saw the cams I did not like them. The tappet clearance were more than what we prepared the cylinder head for and I was not willing to strip it again. This was just before I had to leave and I blocked the work on the engine, so Cuzz was stuck with my half completed car.

Since I have done my tour of duty and was away for 3 months. I went back to see to the cam selection and decided on a GTA1/GTA2 combination. This had roughly the same duration than the original cut cams, but with almost a mm less lift. It would definitely deliver less performance, but it cut clean on the cams with the tappet clearance I planned for. In these situations performance is seldom enough, but as the GTV doubles for "dans. kerk en werk" and would have to tow my caravan as well. So it is important that the engine have reasonable low down torque as well. The hardship in this exercise was the fact that I had to buy a new set of GTA cams, in order to cut the profiles (darn school fees again).

The next stumble block was the fact that one of the brand new GTA intake cams bought from the dealers, had a timing mark that was totally wrong. It was about 25 deg from where it supposed to be. AR kicks me in the nuts again. Cuzz and myself scratched our heads to determine the correct position for the timing mark. The cam block was a help but not good enough to get the ultimate position, due to the cut lobe on the cam.

But in the mean time I was under pressure due to an upcoming, previously booked vacation. I also had a spot booked on Dastek's dyno. A late bummer was the clutch that doesn't like standing for long periods. The work was done and the guys dug deep. Friday and Monday night was not spent with the girls, but with a red GTV(the flooze). Apparently my tantalizing company didn't help while the midnight oil was burnt. Thanks a lot Cuzz, TN I really appreciate your effort.

Starting up and going round the block the first time, was quite disappointing. The car felt a little 'pap' and definitely not stronger than before, but it was late and time for bed. Tuesday morning before six I was out in the rain to reconnect the battery and do a ECU reset (ok I didn't sleep so well) The wet weather were wrong to take the GTV out for exercise, but the ECU need to learn, before dyno-time, so I had to be strong. The engine was a little better but not as strong as before. I realized that the cams feed more air into the engine and most likely the ECU is not adding enough fuel, leaving a lean mixture. The newly fitted Q2 cancels any possible tyre sqeaks as well to make performance unimpressive.

Coming from the wrong side of town, I was at the back of the line at 08.00 when I arrived at Dastek. That made for a long, suspenseful wait till 14.30, before Albert got out of the workshop (O, I hate the fact that Dastek doesn't allow me next to my car during the dyno tune). But with a somber face Albert confirmed the car was running lean and said my version of intake and exhaust in the GTV's engine reacted well with the new cams, and he is happy that there are no unexpected limitations. The car feels better with the fueling sorted, but a small gain in power does not stand out as much as a small loss in power. But I achieved more than what I expected. There are no loss of power anywhere in the rev-range compared to the GTA cams, with a healthy gain. The car delivered 191 whp on the same dyno some years ago when I open it to 3.2 ltrs and upped the compression to 11:1. The 'before' run gave 189 whp due to the lean mixture and confirms my previous reading. After the correction on the Unichip, she delivered 202 whp, and exceeds my expectations. The cam is very smooth and idles well, I am sure it can be used with a flowed head as well, without problems.

GTV dynotest pictures by corriedewilde - Photobucket

·
Registered
310 Posts
The next stumble block was the fact that one of the brand new GTA intake cams bought from the dealers, had a timing mark that was totally wrong. It was about 25 deg from where it supposed to be. AR kicks me in the nuts again. Cuzz and myself scratched our heads to determine the correct position for the timing mark. The cam block was a help but not good enough to get the ultimate position, due to the cut lobe on the cam.
Only way to fit is with the correct GTA cam-locks. You can not compromise, unlike the diesel cam. I'm not sure I understand all, je parle seulement d'anglais, desolé !:)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Nice, glad you got it sorted! I was wondering why you got so quiet.

If you are not comfortable with the gtv then just say, could make a plan with a towing vehicle ...

Will try to join for a long weekend

·
Registered
365 Posts

If you are not comfortable with the gtv then just say, could make a plan with a towing vehicle ...

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I was a little busy(under statement) So far she feels good Hennie, I need to get a little milage on. I will definitely tow the caravan.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only way to fit is with the correct GTA cam-locks. You can not compromise, unlike the diesel cam. I'm not sure I understand all, je parle seulement d'anglais, desolé !:)
I agree you can not compromise. We have GTA cam blocks, but they only stop the cam from jumping due to valve spring pressure. The cam do not fit tightly in the blocks anymore, it was cut.

We got it right, the performance proves it. Now it is marked correctly.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
My Iveco will kick your GTV's ass Corrie:rolleyes:

Working late wasn’t as bad as it sounds.
Gerhard and I could still sit by the pool drinking a couple of brandies discussing the events of the day afterwards.:cool:
It was a lot easier since my wife didn’t really speak to me when I arrived at the house.:confused:

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
:lol:
Would be interesting once we get past the slow takeoff of the auto.:rolleyes:
Eric can i borrow your little box please.:lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts