Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anyone have any experience in programming the xenon headlights on a 159?

I recently had to change both headlamp ecu / ballast controllers for my factory fitted xenons - and inevitably the new units don't seem to be working. The company selling them did mention that they might need to be reprogrammed to work, but I can't seem to find much info on how to do it?

I have the test version if Mutliecuscan for IOS on my phone, which does simulate that you can theoretically connect to the xenon headlights, and shows ECU programming date etc, but it's not clear if you can actually set it up to recognise the ECUs in the first place, and I don't fancy spending £50 for the full version to find out that it doesn't work.

I did contact them to see - but have had no response.

Any ideas - thanks?

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have a full version of MES and yes you can go into the headlights. Not sure if you can program in new ECU or ballasts though. It will tell you if you have any errors though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
There is no option to "write" new lights into car's brains in MES or AlfaOBD. I don't believe this is necessary for Alfa 159.
The shop that sold these just were on the safer side, as newer BMWs (probably lots of other recent cars too) does need to have new lights programmed into car's computer.

Try disconnecting negative terminal from the battery for some time to reset computers. Maybe try running calibration for Xenon lights afterward and see if they come alive. There is really not much else that can be done with MES/AOBD, unless those option are well hidden.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no option to "write" new lights into car's brains in MES or AlfaOBD. I don't believe this is necessary for Alfa 159.
The shop that sold these just were on the safer side, as newer BMWs (probably lots of other recent cars too) does need to have new lights programmed into car's computer.

Try disconnecting negative terminal from the battery for some time to reset computers. Maybe try running calibration for Xenon lights afterward and see if they come alive. There is really not much else that can be done with MES/AOBD, unless those option are well hidden.
That's a shame - the ones I fitted were AL units but with a different part number (AL Bosch 1 307 329 115) to the originals (AL Bosch 1 307 329 123). I don't have a PC so just wanted to be sure that MES (on an iPhone) would work if I bought the full version of the app (£50), guess the only way is to try!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have the full version and all the coloured adapters-I’m sure one of them is for the xenon etc though haven’t checked.
I will have a look as it usually gives you a prompt as to which adapter needs to be connected.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the full version and all the coloured adapters-I’m sure one of them is for the xenon etc though haven’t checked.
I will have a look as it usually gives you a prompt as to which adapter needs to be connected.
You won't see anything more (besides the actual values) than you can see through simulation mode. There are only 3 available procedures - Top position, Bottom position and Calibration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts