Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took the old sud out for a run to get some heat to to the old girl and was messing about with the idle speed. with it running a bit quicker like about 1000 rpm it seams to have solved the gear problem as it seems to slot in to first much easyer! Could it of been because the engine was running very low on tickover that it was hard to select? or could it be because i have used a bolt insteadof a roll pin on the selector? any help would be good, thanks

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
clutch seems fine as all other gears are spot on! oh well < its just another one of its little things that makes it a sud!

K

·
0 Posts
maybe the cold weather has shrunk a few bits and peices and made things easier :rolleyes:

maybe i'm talking rubbish again and it's just an alfa thing :lol:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Bet it doesn't go into first without a little crunch on a hot day! My theory is that there is always a little drag on the clutch which keeps the input shaft turning even when the pedal is depressed. On a cold day, the thickness of the oil overcomes the drag and everything slots in smoothly.
When the gearbox is hot, the oil thins and crunchy engagement results.
My trick (and everybody else's) is to move the gear lever towards second gear before putting it into first. Works for me!
Just one of the little 'character' traits which make us like the cars so much!
Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there is no crunch.but it doesseem to be better when cold.Will see how it goes! how hard is it to repair? or find a box that is perfect?

K

·
0 Posts
'boxes that are perfect are hard to come by, refurbs are the only way to go :(

if one does come up for sale there will be a lot of competition for it :D

·
Registered
725 Posts
I think all 'Sud type gearboxes do it to a certain degree. I test drove a brand new 33 1.7 which did it when really hot.
Best gearbox rebuilds I have had done have been by BLS in Lincoln. Not cheap but worth every penny for slick selection and longevity.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
My trick (and everybody else's) is to move the gear lever towards second gear before putting it into first. Works for me!
Just one of the little 'character' traits which make us like the cars so much!
yep when I bought my 33 the mechanic (who was the owner), showed us the tricks of how to drive it properly. One was to slip it into second before first.
Now I do this without thinking everytime. Never crunches.

K

·
0 Posts
I think all 'Sud type gearboxes do it to a certain degree. I test drove a brand new 33 1.7 which did it when really hot.
Best gearbox rebuilds I have had done have been by BLS in Lincoln. Not cheap but worth every penny for slick selection and longevity.
hope so, BLS done my new replacement one, yet to be fitted ;)

should be soon though now the snow has finally started to melt :thumbs:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts