Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, a warm welcome to all on these forums!!

A bit about myself, I now drive an Alfa 147 2.0 t-spark (it wasn't my first choice, I was actually looking for a Ford Ka!!!) but am having a quite a few problems with it and wanted to run it by 'the experts ' to see if I have bought a bad Alfa or a bad type of Afla!

I'm no expert, but it really seems to run very rough (the suspension I think? a weird tapping noise), the breaks are terrible (the garage I bought this from seemed to suggest the breaks were just shabby on the model of car...hardly a glowing endorsement from the garage but too late for me after parting with my hard earned cash!), the remote locking has a mind of its own, and last, and certainly least(!), the leather seats are falling to bits (I do have to admit to a bit of 'action ' very recently since getting the car and the leather keeps losing its colour!!!

Moan moan moan, sorry!!!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
[dealer mode]

yes they all do that sir ...

[/dealer mode]

It p*sses me of when they say that ... because it is just not true ... alfa's are great cars ...

I don't know that much about the 147 I'm afraid (I'm sure someone will know about the suspension issues) ... when you say the brakes are terrible in what way? do get brake fade or it just doesn't bite as well as you'd hoped? if you want to upgrade your brakes then put a set of DS2500's on that will make the world of difference ..

·
Registered
160 Posts
RHead...hmmm I hope that's not short for Richard Head:lol:

Look there are good second hand cars and bad second hand cars with every make especially Mercs, BMW, VW etc etc At least Alfa's are intended to be driven with gusto so of course the down side is you end up with a car that may have been driven by an over enthusiast racer...the marque tends to attract these.

You didn't give much detail so what mileage, age are you talking here?

That knock/tapping sound could be front bushes worn or dodgy shocker...I am still amazed when people replace their shot suspension (shocks/springs) with Koni/Bilstein etc and then say how pathetic the standard ones are...new with old comparison????

So get your car to a suspension place and have a 14/28 point free check (at least if they have this over there), then get your brake fluid changed, bleed the brakes and if neccessary replace pads as per 156Chris said.

Hope this helps, oh and make sure you use protection when you "get some action"...ON THE LEATHER THAT IS!!!:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
42,863 Posts
Hello RHead....welcome to AO...hope you get it fixed soon....:)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am no expert but all sound like similar problems I had when I first got mine, as for the brakes new disc's and pads all round and a bleed solved that. What yr is it and what mileage ? if its around 51/52 plate it will be bout time to look at wishbones (upper and lower) and roll bar links, form my experiance they are a common weakness on the car around this age all can be done yourself if you have the time and patience, you'll need it for lower wishbones or just take it to your nearest indy !!!

hope this has been helpfull good luck

ps despite the problems she's a great car get them sorted and you'll love it :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Brakes should be good so ignore that comment as it is likely to be due to wear rather than spec that you are having problems.

One of my tapping noises was resolved by changing the drop links. If the bushes are worn on the wishbones then the wishbones (upper arms) might also need changing.

Worth noting that if you've got 17 inch wheels rather than 16s, then the ride will be very stiff anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts