Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
33,219 Posts
That’s not good. I wonder if there’s stillage that contacts that point on the panel during production and affects the finish.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Blimey that’s poor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Top one looks almost certainty a result of stone chip damage...at least to my eye. In the middles of a panel its unlikely to be anything else. Second one is of more concern. Ive seen a few with rust there on dealer forecourts. Definitely a week spot and something for owners to look out for as these cars age.

I though Giulias were galvanised like my 159....If not they will certainly drop off my list of probable next car. Rust should be (and largely is) a think of the past these day. If they are galvanised its very poor quality. As said by the 159 owner above mine also has no rust on painted surfaces at 152,000 miles and ten years old. When i do get chips they just stay as silver chips.....no rust forms and spreads under the surface or the paint like that first pic. Disappointing.

·
Registered
33,219 Posts
i think it something to do with the roof fitting to the body, as in pic I posted on #56 of this thread. The coating is damaged or doesn’t reach the edge of the roof panel?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Top one looks almost certainty a result of stone chip damage...at least to my eye. In the middles of a panel its unlikely to be anything else.
I very much doubt it was due to a stone chip. I know pretty much every single stone chip on my car as I wash it religiously every week or two especially in the winter. The paint broke on the middle of the panel when I pushed against the bubbling to check how bad it was. May be it was a stone chip, even so, I have a few other stone chips on the bonnet and other panels (steel ones as some are Aluminium) and none are bubbling or showing any evidence of corrosion. Both the corner one and the middle one look identical with the bubbling. I too thought these panels were galvanised. I will wait for the dealer to book my car in for assessment and then raise a case with ARCC.

It will be prudent for other owners of similar vintage to check the roof corners, you need to get up close to see it. Please report back here with what you find.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have to say I find this thread a bit worrying. These roof issues combined with boot lid rust and rust on various bolts around the car (see attached picture from Giuliaforums.com) should not happen on new cars, and especially not on cars in the premium segment. Hopefully the issues are limited to a small series of cars from the earliest production year, and therefore already corrected. We have had absolutely no problems with our former Giulietta, and therefore it would b very disappointing if the quality on the Giulia is a step back! We have planned buying a Giulia Veloce, but these issues are just worrying!

As metalgod23 mentioned it would be great if Giulia owners reported back here about the condition on their cars - maybe we should create a new thread with a more describing headline of the problems?

Attachments

·
Registered
820 Posts
alfa always had issues with bolts rusting, mean on one car they were rusted after half year, on other perfect after 10. that is only cosmetics. more important are main body panels as this is hassle. here they again had issues but this was not that common - looked me like applied to very small percentage of cars. My first 159 had issues on boot lid and on side rear panels above rear wheels - paint started peeling off when car was like 6 years old. rear boot I bought 2nd hand in my colour on scrapyard for like EUR 50 and changed myself in 1h, the other I got repainted, also was no problem. rust was only on surface, after cleaning off/derusting etc all was OK, car has now 15 years and all is good (I know current user of this 159). My 2nd 159 had no problems like that (now is 10 years old and also I know the current user). On Giulietta (7 years old) we have no problems, and my GIulia (2 years) no issues.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Today, 8th Feb is 3 years since I collected my Giulia Lusso, it has none of the corrosion reported here. So its not a early build issue.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Yes I don't think it is an early build issue either. My car is 3 years tomorrow, no issues on boot lid. Just checked the door fasteners and some inside the engine bay and no real corrosion that I can see. Looked the whole car over with a bright torch and the above roof spots are the only ones. My dealer has acknowledged the issue and is awaiting a response from their body shop.
20200208_172437.jpg

61 - 69 of 69 Posts