Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Problems with used Giulia... (rust)

28K views 85 replies 21 participants last post by  marknewton1971 
#1 ·
Picked a used one up recently after wanting one for a while and after the first time I washed it discovered some small bubbles on the roof.

Spoke to the dealer who said they'll do a warranty claim but made a comment about a stone chip nearby that could have caused it, so I suspect it will be denied. I'm not sure what other recourse I have here, any ideas?

The car picked up a fair few stone chips in the 500 miles I've driven it so far, is the paint known to be soft on these?

I've only had the car a couple of weeks and i noticed in the approved used blurb that it comes with a 30 day/1000 mile exchange but no details of what this is, does anyone have a copy of the explanation of this? Frankly I don't want to be driving round in a car that's already rusting if I can't get the dealership to fix it then I want to understand if this is an option.

#35 ·
Front pads did 63,000 miles on ours. Rears were replaced with the above mentioned discs under warranty at 12,000 miles due to a manufacturing flaw in which the surface of the disc became pitted/corroded causing accelerated pad wear. The replacement rears are still fine, at now 66,000 miles. Nothing to do with miss daisy's or lack of mileage really. How can you think you know more about this when you have A) not experienced the issue on your Giulia, B) not even own a Giulia, or/and C) not followed the relevant thread on the subject ? Its very patronising. I am also sorry for the thread diversion.

#37 ·
I bought a used Giulia, almost 3 years old, 35,000 miles. It is an early one. The dealers, both selling and servicing as they're different have been really good: it had a replacement infotainment screen as it was scratched (Selling dealer) new GPS antennae as that was faulty, replacement door seal as that had split in 2 places and updated scuttle panel so that the wiring doesn't get soaked. It also had new discs and pads all round before I saw it. Servicing dealer also updated all ECUs due to stop/start issue.

Since buying it I can see that the boot lid has been re-lacquered, & the front bumper has seen paint. Interestingly the sills have been peppered with spray and have a white rash. Really these could do with repainting but that will have to wait.

Issues? well possibly, but sorted without quibble, quickly & efficiently - most definitely. My dealer experience has definitely been a big step up from two years ago.

#38 ·
that’s interesting about the infotainment screen being scratched, I noticed mine hasa large amount of small cracks/scratches, almost like stress marks due to flexing? It’s very odd and definitely not been done by a microfibre when I’m cleaning. It’s got gradually worse. Probably need to get the dealer to take a look.

#39 ·
The ones on mine were about 2cm long and you could feel them when you ran a finger nail over them. They didn't look like stress fractures.

#40 ·
There have been a few reports of stress cracks like you describe, in the US forum. Get it replaced under warranty.

#42 ·
The coating will probably be a sprayed-on polyurethane finish. Hopefully it’s not due to the angles of the flanges which come off the main surface of the lens. Having worked to these requirements on a few lamps I’d say this can only be fixed by retooling the lens and housing. Chemicals can migrate some distance from a detail beyond the main lens surface. This happened on early Ford Focus lens from a clip on the bottom of the lamp.

#44 ·
Just had a rather frustrating call with them.

They booked the car in until Friday on the basis of the pictures and have just called to ask me if I'll go and get it tomorrow instead and then re-book it for 10 days as one of the warranty items was replacing trim and that's how long it takes to get it.

There are two rust spots on the roof and apparently one is covered by warranty and one isn't.

I would have thought a spot repair on the roof would look poor, shouldn't they be doing the whole panel anyway?

#45 · (Edited)
Just had a rather frustrating call with them.

They booked the car in until Friday on the basis of the pictures and have just called to ask me if I'll go and get it tomorrow instead and then re-book it for 10 days as one of the warranty items was replacing trim and that's how long it takes to get it.

There are two rust spots on the roof and apparently one is covered by warranty and one isn't.

I would have thought a spot repair on the roof would look poor, shouldn't they be doing the whole panel anyway?
Have you raised a case with Alfa Customer Care using the 0800 number yet? That number is charged from mobiles so if you ring FCA Slough office on 01753 511431 and ask to be put through to Alfa customer care, you will be connected. You need to make it clear to them that you are not happy with the dealer assessment of only one rust spot being covered and them doing a spot repair. You want a fully panel repair/respray. Do not take no for an answer. I have had my desired outcome this way after initial problems with the dealer.

Frustratingly, Alfa have a system where they cannot raise a warranty/technical case using the TESEO system (the official workshop to Italy repair tech system) until your car is in the work shop and they have made an assessment. This usually means either a wait, in some cases a long one OR bring car back again later. This is the nature of the beast! Not much can be done.

Reactions: Andy Bowden
#46 ·
In the long run, and I hate saying this, I would just skip the whole taking time off work, travelling to dealer, maybe getting a loan car, maybe not, arguing with a system that is geared to grind you down, taking time off work, travelling back to collect and ultimately not being satisfied. Then I would get someone local to fill/touch up the marks as best they can and worry about it when the car is being sold on. Car warranties are now becoming like dealing with mobile phone customer services centers. The hassle isn't worth the gain.

#47 ·
The issue with that Hugh, is that if ( in the unlikely event) the rust 'spot' developed into something greater he would be on his own as I am certain Alfa would do as would any insurance company do, but reject any future claim.

Reactions: Andy Bowden
#48 ·
I haven't been able to talk to Alfa yet as I've been in for surgery this week, will probably give the a call tomorrow.

Had a voice mail today saying the first bit was going to be smart repaired tomorrow. I almost think my best bet here is to let them have a go at it and then point out how poor it looks directly with alfa to get it done properly.

Alternatively does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to get the roof redone properly elsewhere?

#54 ·
exactly. my friend in his 0.5 year old Giulia noticed the same, got for repair, they only did it at point (with tiny brush I suppose, not sure what exactly they did), 2 years since, all good.

#52 ·
I have noticed from images at Cassino that the roof is a module rather than being welded on but present for painting once the mastic has been applied by the robot.At least for the carbon fibre version and cars with the sunroof module. I’m not sure what the implications are for this corrosion but I’d be concerned about where a repair begins and finishes as surely the mastic needs to be removed to get to the source and re-applied.

Attachments

#60 ·
My Giulia is coming up to 3 years old and I replied to your original post a while ago. Recently when I washed and clayed the car I noticed something almost similar, a small area of corrosion about 3 to 4 mm at the passenger front roof joint to windshield corner, and another one in a random spot on the middle of the roof about 4 inches from the edge close to front windscreen. You can see the bubbling under the paint. Have to say I am very disappointed. My previous 159 had zero corrosion on painted bodywork. Both spots are tiny and barely noticeable until you look closely. The pictures exaggerate the actual damage. But now that I know it's there it grates my OCD.

Needless to say I have contacted the dealer and sent them the pictures promptly. Let's see what they say. I am a bit annoyed this has happened. I have taken care of the car with lots of TLC. :mad:

Blue Technology Electric blue
Blue Vehicle door Car Material property Luxury vehicle

#62 ·
Blimey that’s poor [emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#63 · (Edited)
Top one looks almost certainty a result of stone chip damage...at least to my eye. In the middles of a panel its unlikely to be anything else. Second one is of more concern. Ive seen a few with rust there on dealer forecourts. Definitely a week spot and something for owners to look out for as these cars age.

I though Giulias were galvanised like my 159....If not they will certainly drop off my list of probable next car. Rust should be (and largely is) a think of the past these day. If they are galvanised its very poor quality. As said by the 159 owner above mine also has no rust on painted surfaces at 152,000 miles and ten years old. When i do get chips they just stay as silver chips.....no rust forms and spreads under the surface or the paint like that first pic. Disappointing.

#65 ·
Top one looks almost certainty a result of stone chip damage...at least to my eye. In the middles of a panel its unlikely to be anything else.
I very much doubt it was due to a stone chip. I know pretty much every single stone chip on my car as I wash it religiously every week or two especially in the winter. The paint broke on the middle of the panel when I pushed against the bubbling to check how bad it was. May be it was a stone chip, even so, I have a few other stone chips on the bonnet and other panels (steel ones as some are Aluminium) and none are bubbling or showing any evidence of corrosion. Both the corner one and the middle one look identical with the bubbling. I too thought these panels were galvanised. I will wait for the dealer to book my car in for assessment and then raise a case with ARCC.

It will be prudent for other owners of similar vintage to check the roof corners, you need to get up close to see it. Please report back here with what you find.

#66 ·
Have to say I find this thread a bit worrying. These roof issues combined with boot lid rust and rust on various bolts around the car (see attached picture from Giuliaforums.com) should not happen on new cars, and especially not on cars in the premium segment. Hopefully the issues are limited to a small series of cars from the earliest production year, and therefore already corrected. We have had absolutely no problems with our former Giulietta, and therefore it would b very disappointing if the quality on the Giulia is a step back! We have planned buying a Giulia Veloce, but these issues are just worrying!

As metalgod23 mentioned it would be great if Giulia owners reported back here about the condition on their cars - maybe we should create a new thread with a more describing headline of the problems?

Attachments

#67 ·
alfa always had issues with bolts rusting, mean on one car they were rusted after half year, on other perfect after 10. that is only cosmetics. more important are main body panels as this is hassle. here they again had issues but this was not that common - looked me like applied to very small percentage of cars. My first 159 had issues on boot lid and on side rear panels above rear wheels - paint started peeling off when car was like 6 years old. rear boot I bought 2nd hand in my colour on scrapyard for like EUR 50 and changed myself in 1h, the other I got repainted, also was no problem. rust was only on surface, after cleaning off/derusting etc all was OK, car has now 15 years and all is good (I know current user of this 159). My 2nd 159 had no problems like that (now is 10 years old and also I know the current user). On Giulietta (7 years old) we have no problems, and my GIulia (2 years) no issues.