Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked a used one up recently after wanting one for a while and after the first time I washed it discovered some small bubbles on the roof.

Spoke to the dealer who said they'll do a warranty claim but made a comment about a stone chip nearby that could have caused it, so I suspect it will be denied. I'm not sure what other recourse I have here, any ideas?

The car picked up a fair few stone chips in the 500 miles I've driven it so far, is the paint known to be soft on these?

I've only had the car a couple of weeks and i noticed in the approved used blurb that it comes with a 30 day/1000 mile exchange but no details of what this is, does anyone have a copy of the explanation of this? Frankly I don't want to be driving round in a car that's already rusting if I can't get the dealership to fix it then I want to understand if this is an option.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I’ve covered 13500 motorway miles in 6 months and other than one unfortunate large stone chip on the bumper, there’s nothing else. I find the paint to be ok, I have Alfa Red which is notoriously soft.
I’d guess they will honour the claim as it sounds like it’s a failure of the top coat (“bubbles”), irrespective of the stone chip nearby.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just had warranty claim of top coat peeling on door pillar. Had stonechip nearby and dealer mentioned that to Alfa but was approved no problem.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
All 4 doors are aluminium.

·
Registered
33,222 Posts
Yes, sorry. It’s the doors and front wings. And on the Stelvio, the tailgate.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Boot lip rust bubbles is a known issue on some cars and covered under warranty. Never heard of the other areas but would guess will be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Have now found rust under the boot lip and above the windscreen on the drivers side. :eek:

Not happy.

It's blue.
Not wanting to point out the obvious and be "that guy"....but clearly you did not have a very good look around it BEFORE you bought it. If you have only done 500 miles since purchase the rust must have been there when you signed the order. If you had taken a little more time viewing it you might not be in this situation. Hopefully they will play ball on the warranty...and,as said, they should. Caveat emptor...as they say.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Well, whilst you are correct, but you you have to be very hard nosed in suppressing your emotion when seeing and inspecting your intended purchase. An inspection which discovered the minutest of detail would take some considerable time. Hopefully the selling dealer will do the honourable thing.

Caveat emptor indeed, you must be very diligent never to have been in this position yourself.

·
Registered
33,222 Posts
well put! Part of the excitement of the handover is lost if you examine the car that thoroughly so not many people probably would.

·
Registered
363 Posts
well put! Part of the excitement of the handover is lost if you examine the car that thoroughly so not many people probably would.
Precisely!
First time I ever laid eyes on a Qaud in the flesh was on the day I collected mine new from the dealer.
So far 2 1/2 years on no disappointments in any way whatsoever. ;)(y)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I'm kicking myself now for not inspecting it in tiny detail.

Both times I looked at the car it was wet (weather, they hadnt done it on purpose) and the issues are really small areas, so even in the dry I'm not convinced I'd have spotted it.

To be honest I had the mindset of it being a two year old approved used car so probably didn't look as closely as I have when I've bought older cars privately.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Don't beat yourself up m0t. I am OCD but still would not have looked for small areas of rust on a 2 year old approved used car. Looks like there was a manufacturing issue on yours and should be covered under warranty. If you get any issues with dealer pushing it through warranty, give AR customer care the 00800 number a call and raise a case. I am confident it will be sorted eventually under warranty. Don't get pushed over and remain of the view that you have bought an approved car under warranty which is less than perfect. More over don't beat yourself up. It will be sorted.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Precisely!
First time I ever laid eyes on a Qaud in the flesh was on the day I collected mine new from the dealer.
So far 2 1/2 years on no disappointments in any way whatsoever. ;)(y)
Maybe....but that was a brand new car....his was pre-owned....and yes Im a fussy git when I buy a car....how ever not so fussy after its mine….as anyone who sees the state of mine as I write this will attest!!.

Just a thought....how come the chips are rusting on stone chips...are they not galvanised?. My 159 just leaves a tiny silver mark when chipped....the chips never rust.

·
Registered
33,222 Posts
Your 159 was probably out of warranty when you acquired it?
It’s easy to forget what can happen to a car in two years especially when buying it and it’s new to you.
However according to FCA
“We also protect your car from manufacturing defects that concern the paint. We repair your vehicle to eliminate the verified defect, according to the standard conditions of manufacture. This service lasts 36 months, starting from the date your car was delivered.

We also have a warranty on the body of your car in case of perforation due to corrosion from the inside out. We repair and/or replace any part perforated by corrosion for 8 years, starting from the date your car was delivered.”

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
And there is the get out....."manufacturing defects" to get out of paint repairs. They will try and blame it on something you did (or the nearby chip letting water under the paint as suggested above). And the rust only being covered if it rusted through from the INSIDE.....something you really don't see much these days. When I worked for VW Audi we had some very interesting (and sometimes heated!) conversations with customers as to why we where not going to repair their top surface rust under warranty!!!!

...and yes my car was years out of warranty when I got it....still does not mean that I did not want it correct and damage/rust free when I bought it though. If its going to get paint problems or stone chips ….then I want to do them myself!! LOL!!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts