Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am rebuilding a 73 2000 spider, and when ins the talling cam shaft I found that one stud would not torque up. Each time I try it peaks at a lower torque! I asume they are threaded in so I am guessing that the threads are failing. Just wondered if anyone has had a similar issue!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responces. Heli coil is my first choice although I allways have problems installing them.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Würth, the german company do the "Time Sert" system, which professionals swear by.
TIME SERT - YouTube

the benefit of time sert is that the time sert cannot come out when you loosen a bolt as the last few threads collapse and hold it in place.
You do need to cut a collar into the alloy so that the time sert lies flush

However for the low torque on the cam caps bolts (14-18 ft.lbs) I probably would use a helicoil too for that job.
You are lucky that the cam cup bolts face straight up at you and you can get at them easily - just fill that whole area up with paper to stop any filings going into the engine, and have a car hoover handy! - try a lower exhaust manifold stud that has stripped with the engine in the car:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts