Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I know it's not the first topic with problematic engine start, but i read it all, still can't figure out whats wrong... Few months ago I put some injector cleaner, perhaps a bit too much, but not sure if it is connected here. So afterwards my Alfa started to act up in colder mornings (no -), heavy start, but it starts, thanks to a new battery... Even if I let it warm up for minute or two, when I just move a 50m and press clutch, it just stalls... I have to hold gas pedal if I don't want it to get stalled... It gets ok when it warms up to 50C. Then after wark day when I try to start usually it's even worse than in the mornings even though its a bit warmer (10C). Some times even when it's on operating temp. It might stall, but very rare otherwise, when I press clutch, idle goes down to 750 than goes up to 800 - 850... I also have problem with turbo, I guess not related, it releases pressure on 5th and 6th gear just for short while and it builds up again.

Things done:
Blanked Egr
Maped out Dpf
New glow plug reley (glow plugs seemed fine, though they were not changed for 4 years(80000km))
Fuel filter - 20000km
I have odb, is there anything I should look for when starting it? No errors though.

Thanks to everyone who are willing to share their experiance :) see my baby attached, please help me to keep it running :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Possibly clogged intake manifold and/or throttle body....notorious for detective swirl-flaps. Have you checked injector correction values?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Have you cleaned the MAP sensor? Just thinking it measures temperature and your issue seems temperature related

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Not sure the 1.9 map has integrated temp measuring??

knowing what the swirls are like and how mine was I would be whipping that manifold off to make sure you can account for all 4 flaps and then getting rid of them along with a good clean of the manifold

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would start with checking all temperature sensors - engine temp, intake (MAP), intake air (MAF), fuel..
When the engine is cold, the temps should be roughly the same.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I started with cleaning MAP, it didn't look bad, but it was covered with something like oil. I will see if cleaning it changes anything. When I checked before on ecu scan it was showing 100 no matter the load on engine... Will see if it helps. Not sure why it has oil or something like this in intake manifold, it consumed only like 400ml on 16000km. What app I should use for checking injectors?

·
Registered
257 Posts
It is a TMAP sensor so it measures temperature and pressure. They do get a bit oily. I clean mine periodically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cleaning it helped with readings on ecu scan, but after driving a bit car stalled, had no chance to start it, jumped it it was still stalling, I disconnected MAf sensor and managed to start it, but strange rattle noise coming from top of the engine. Though without maf sensor connecter it got a bit better, even no pressure releases from turbo. I will take MAF out for cleaning. But rattling sounds scary, though it's not that loud, but something is wrong there... :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
... , but strange rattle noise coming from top of the engine. [...] But rattling sounds scary, though it's not that loud, but something is wrong there... :(
Can't say for sure from your description, but that sound could be a malfunctioning injector. So yeah, you should check those.
As mentioned before, they should be on top of your troubleshooting list.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello,
Thanks for all the advices.
So I noticed third swirl flap was disconnected from the chain, when I tried to put it back with the rest I maneged to disconnect all of them, wanted to set others on open possition, and leave it this way, I noticed that fourth one is completely loose, moves around from vibration. What could have happened to it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts