Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just thought I would ask on here for some advice. I've replaced by Giulietta with a 159 Sportwagon TI as I needed a bigger boot, but I'm now having a really hard time selling my G.

It's been up on Autotrader/eBay for 2 weeks, price dropped to £9,995 and had over 300 total views but not one call about the car.

Have I priced it too high, or missed something glaringly obvious? Compared to others with the same spec and same age it seems to be priced competitively. I'm just at a bit of a loss...

Links here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331810632953?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Alfa Romeo Giulietta 2.0 JTDM-2 Veloce 5dr

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi,
Might it be that not a lot of people have £10,000 cash, or are not happy with the idea of handing over £10,000 for a private sale?

I know I wouldn't want to.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Can't see anything wrong with your G, but as said above £10k cash is maybe beyond most people at the moment.

I think people feel safer on part ex or are doing the pip.

TBH it would'nt stop me following a good check.

Good luck. Two weeks isn't long either.

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
What are the WBAC outfit offering? I know dealers are giving rubbish p/x prices at the moment.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think A13 SXT hit the nail on the head regarding £10,000 in hard cash..thanks to this wonderful government, the masses have been brainwashed into living on endless credit for EVERYTHING ! They live from month to month and find it affordable to enter into a lease agreement for 3 years at say £300 per month but don't have any real money otherwise. It's not that it's a G, rather that to sell privately is seen as rather old fashioned these days.:irked:

·
Registered
38,691 Posts
Not sure how yours is priced compared to other similar ones, but I have been thinking of selling mine and have noticed that prices seem to have dropped a fair bit in the last few weeks.

Maybe there are just not that many buyers out there at the moment? :(

People talking of economic clouds gathering might be making people tighten their belts when it comes to bigger purchases like this.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My 2c cents worth. The photos really don't do justice to the car, the choice of a weedy gravel carpark with other cars and a big rubbish skip in the background to me looks dodgy car sale.
Find somewhere interesting which does not throw odd shadows over the car. eg the tree reflection on the boot make the tailgate look like dirty. Mornings or evenings are the best light, have a think about backdrops that tell the prospect buyer that they would look cool driving this car and try different heights, eg low front/rear shots.
A good example was the great photo's of I think Giuli's car by the pool in South Africa.
Oh and clean the dust on the instrument cluster and don't say why you are selling, it weakens your bargaining position.
Good luck.

·
Registered
36,838 Posts
I agree the pictures may have seemed good at the time but somehow they're not showing the car at its best. Also ,your preoccupation with the imminent end of the warranty and supporting facts about its health being good raise more concern than reassurance.
The main thing is the cash issue which you can't do anything about.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Buyers, especially for cars that can be had brand new at silly monthly prices at the end of year will be hit. G prices at my local dealer were stupid cheap at the end of the month.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I can't see anything wrong with your car other than maybe a slightly high mileage for a 3 year old car? I can only agree with the fact that I too would be cautious of buying a car for that kind of money privately, even though you do have the balance of the manufacturer warranty.

·
Registered
36,838 Posts
I can't see anything wrong with your car other than maybe a slightly high mileage for a 3 year old car? I can only agree with the fact that I too would be cautious of buying a car for that kind of money privately, even though you do have the balance of the manufacturer warranty.
"Manufacturers warranty until 3rd May 2016." that's not very long really?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
"Manufacturers warranty until 3rd May 2016." that's not very long really?
Oh didn't look quite so hard at the details. But you could still get to the point of claiming from Alfa for something fundamental, however it does seem on here that Alfa is not so benevolent to anyone other than the first original owner after 3 years, and god help you if you've not had a service stamp! Biggest problem I had was trying to book a service within the required period due to the dwindling dealer networks appointment availability where I live.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Looks great mate and a lot of car for a shrewd buyer. The mugs fall for the leasing game just another form of the never never...

Someone will take that before long - give it another few weeks.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Agree with everything said but would add "Why not put it on AutoTrader?"

When I bought my Alfa (I'm one of those that buy with cash) I put my previous car on AT and it sold in under 24 hours. Given a preference I'd rather buy through AT than eBay and I suspect that's a common view.

·
Premium Member
42,865 Posts
There are similar priced cars at Trade outlets which no doubt will come with a warranty...

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
Looks great mate and a lot of car for a shrewd buyer. The mugs fall for the leasing game just another form of the never never...

Someone will take that before long - give it another few weeks.
I shrewd car buyer will pay a couple of grand more and get a brand new 0 miles, 3 year warranty and specced exactly to how they want it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all for commenting and your feedback. Seems like I should change the pictures and tweak the text a bit, hopefully with better results.

It's a really interesting point brought up about cheap car financing/leasing/credit, maybe I do think in a slightly old fashioned way! Can't believe how much it costs to list on Autotrader nowadays...

·
Registered
38,691 Posts
Not sure I agree with what was said about ebay. My car was advertised by a local dealer on Ebay, but not on AT.

Try an ebay classified, I think most people look on ebay first these days as there are far more cars on there.

Also try Pistonheads and Gumtree.

When I take pictures of my car I try and find an empty car park. There are less distractions around the picture.

·
Registered
36,838 Posts
Looks like the pictures are "property of Autotrader"!
If I was to take pics of a white Giulietta I'd see how the official launch pics made it look less bland. Also, hope Autotrader don't look on eBay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks like the pictures are "property of Autotrader"!
If I was to take pics of a white Giulietta I'd see how the official launch pics made it look less bland. Also, hope Autotrader don't look on eBay.
Nice car how about extending the manufacturers warranty of buying an aftermarket one to give piece of mind.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts