Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Does anybody in here know the best way to remove a seized hex bolt ?! It's stuck in the side of my gearbox (gearbox drain bolt), and needs a 12mm allen key to remove it, only problem is - it has rounded!

I have had problems removing seized studs and nuts before, using stud removers and nut splitters with great success, but haven't came across a tool that will remove a female bolt!

Hope someone can help!

Many Thanks,
Tony.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Does the bolt stand proud of the casing at all? I'd be inclined to get a decent pair of mole grips onto it if it does.

These plugs are often made of brass which is soft, hence the rounding.
The force holding it in is created by the proud part pressing on the outside of the casing. Grind that off (if you dare) and a lot of the holding force should be gone.

One last thing would be to hacksaw or grind a slot in the plug and use something wide like a cold chisel to turn it.

HTH.

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
I think the bolt is completely recessed when it's in the hole - it doesn't have the "top hat" section.

It could be a case of drilling a hole through the centre of the bolt (it's just 1cm or so deep.. and then getting one of those bolt removers. I don't know what they're called .. but they screw in counter-clockwise. The turning motion as they screw into the metal often undoes the reluctant bolt.

Remember you can drop the sump pan out (making a collosal mess, probably) if it makes your work easier.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I think the remover things are called "Easy Outs" and warming the engine up before removing the plug sounds like a fine idea.
It got a stuck Lambda sensor out for me although the exhaust was hotter than the sump would get.

Here's a horrendous bodge but is there such a thing as a 13mm Torx bit and a large hammer? Is your sump fragile alloy or hammerable steel?

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Ah yes.. "Easy Out".

Until there's no other option, do not hammer it. You may damage other components or distort the sump pan.

Don't re-fit any part you have to damage to remove.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Try up-plugging a drive shaft to get the oil out!! It always works for me just when I don't want it too.!!!
Not serious, I'm sure there's a better solution.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Try up-plugging a drive shaft to get the oil out!! It always works for me just when I don't want it too.!!!
Not serious, I'm sure there's a better solution.
That's a good solution isn't it?
Gearbox oil only needs doing every 60,000 miles or so.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Might need to roll it on it's side like my college colleagues used to with a Fiat 500 for easy access!!
(No don't try this at home listeners).

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
'Nuovo' 500. Don't think that occasion was anything to do with joints, more likely a corrosion inspection!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
What stuff did you have in the M.V. workshop Wrenched? You know static engines, gearboxes, complete vehicles and so on? Continually re-assembling after the bit of practical?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for your help guys! There isn't enough of the bolt sticking out to get a pair of mole grips on - and also, the suggestion about the 13mm Torx bit - try finding one! I can get a 12mm, 14mm and so on, but no 13!

It probably doesn't help that the bolt is magnetic as well! Just wasn't sure if there was a tool available to remove one of these ba*&*rd things!!!!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
"a tool available to remove one of these ba*&*rd things!!!!"
Called a Bridgeport or vertical borer?!?! Eeek.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You could try tacking a strong enough piece of steel to the plug, long enough to get the plug to turn and then grind or yank the bar off. There could be enough movement in the plug by then to get some Vise-grips on the proud part of the plug.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts