Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been experiencing this problem for quite a while now, but today it has worsen a bit. When I try to lock or unlock the car, it just doesn't respond, I have to keep pushing the button for a few seconds, sometimes a minute until it unlocks or locks. Today I've been trying for like half an hour and it's just not working. The key fob battery is brand new. The car battery is fully charged. I noticed in the last couple of days a few seconds after the locking sound it makes a few other beeps which it has never made before. It's acting really strange, I guess it's something with the electrics but have no clue what could it be. I can't even locate the alarm in this car (Alfa 156 Facelift) :confused:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi, I have been experiencing this problem for quite a while now, but today it has worsen a bit. When I try to lock or unlock the car, it just doesn't respond, I have to keep pushing the button for a few seconds, sometimes a minute until it unlocks or locks. Today I've been trying for like half an hour and it's just not working. The key fob battery is brand new. The car battery is fully charged. I noticed in the last couple of days a few seconds after the locking sound it makes a few other beeps which it has never made before. It's acting really strange, I guess it's something with the electrics but have no clue what could it be. I can't even locate the alarm in this car (Alfa 156 Facelift) :confused:
I admit mines does the same but im not sure of the battery condition in the keys ... Tomorrow I get new batteries tho

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have had a problem where alarm would beep few seconds after locking. I found from my manual that this means that something "didn't work properly". I have checked all microswitches and I found that the bonnet one wasn't connected properly. Alarm now works as intended.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just tried to open it this morning and it won't work. Then I opened it manually with the key and the blinkers turned on, just like when the alarm is on, but no beeping. I couldn't stop them, but the engine starts??? This is really annoying because I still can't drive the car, because the blinkers won't turn off... it's like the alarm is activated but without making any sound. Turned off the battery and put it back again but nothing changed (is it strange that it didn't ask me for the radio code?). I really have no idea where the problem could be..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got a brand new battery. Put it on and the car won't start again, just that clicking noise when I turn the key to start the engine. Also VDC and ABS failure came on the screen, what the **** is that all about?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Your main car battery is either not connected properly, still flat or the new one is knackered also!
Try removing the leads and cleaning them up, and the battery terminals too.

If you still get no joy check the engine earthing strap is ok.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Chris I cleaned and tightened everything and it started, the errors are gone but the problem with the alarm is still there..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks Chris I cleaned and tightened everything and it started, the errors are gone but the problem with the alarm is still there..
I would start witch checking all micro-switches with multimeter to make sure they are working properly. In my case bonnet switch was working, however it was unplugged so check cabling as well to make sure its all connected.

I try to clean connections whenever I'm near them with electrical cleaner since lets face it car isn't exactly new :) I found that a lot of errors I had were actually connections. Quick unplug and good clean with air & electrical cleaner did the trick.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today I jacked up the car to reset the alarm, cleaned all the micro-switches (except one which was impossible to remove) and then the alarm worked fine. But an hour later, after I had put the car on the ground and taken a shower, it would go crazy again (arming and disarming without touching the remote) the immobiliser image comes up for a sec on the dash and the car won't start. It beeps a couple of times after the alarm is armed to show there is a fault, but I have no idea where it is. When I use the key to open it the alarm goes off but without a siren.. Sometimes the remote just stops working for a few seconds or minutes (and it has a brand new battery too). I think it's something to do with the alarm giving wrong signals to the ECU?
One more question, is the car going to start if I remove the alarm, without entering a key code for the immobiliser?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts