Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right... I'll get straight to the point, on leaving work tonight after driving about 3 miles down the road the "Oil Pressure Low" warning flashed up, within seconds there was a loud Knocking noise which sounds like its coming from the bottom of the engine (although its so loud I can't be 100% sure) I immediately pulled over and turned the engine off. The car is being recovered tomorrow.

I have recently had the pre cat changed and have had a slight rattle coming from what I believe is a crack in the heat shield. There is plenty of oil in the sump, as there has always been.

My gut instinct is the oil pump has gone during my drive to work, causing the engine to run dry as I left for home. Thus chewing up the crank shaft!

Now I know some knocking can be caused by the heat shield crack widening, anybody here think I have any hope of this?

If it is the crankshaft I can hear is it terminal or will the fact I was traveling at low speed and pulled up within 20 seconds give me any hope of saving it?

The car in question is a 147, 2005, 2.0 TS Selespeed that's done 95K

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
maybe recoverable, depends on how bad the bottom end has gone, if the bottom end bearings are still in situe, the crank maybe ok, just a regrind and new shells maybe all thats required. As for the oil pump, maybe worth having an investigation into why oil starvation happened in the first place :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts