Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping somebody can help.

History first.
Im the 3rd owner of my GT. It has an original factory fitted Alfa head unit. I know its not the original one that came with the car because i have the documentation and original coding for it, the unit that is in there now has a different code that has been written in tipex on the top. I have confirmed that the code is correct by asking for a new code against the serial number on this group a few weeks ago. Since I have owned the car the display has read CANCHECK (or CANBUS). There is power to the speakers as they hiss when I turn the volume on full.

Right then.

So I bought a full copy of MultiECUScan and the cables in order to run a proxy alignment and the software did show that the head unit was missing. I disconnected the battery for half an hour and ran the alignment again and it found the stereo and removed the CANCHECK error, bonus.

But, the radio doesnt pick up any stations, and the CD player plays a CD but does not give any sound output. As mentioned above the speakers are wired and powered as there is a hiss when you turn the volume up. Also, even though i have completed the alignment it sometimes resets itself back to CANCHECK and the software shows it as missing, meaning I have to realign again.

So. Could it be that this head unit is duff or could it be there is a bad connection somewhere in the wiring loom? Is this something that anyone else has experienced?

Would like to get this fixed now as I have had no music in the car for the month and half that I have owned it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hoping somebody can help.

History first.
Im the 3rd owner of my GT. It has an original factory fitted Alfa head unit. I know its not the original one that came with the car because i have the documentation and original coding for it, the unit that is in there now has a different code that has been written in tipex on the top. I have confirmed that the code is correct by asking for a new code against the serial number on this group a few weeks ago. Since I have owned the car the display has read CANCHECK (or CANBUS). There is power to the speakers as they hiss when I turn the volume on full.

Right then.

So I bought a full copy of MultiECUScan and the cables in order to run a proxy alignment and the software did show that the head unit was missing. I disconnected the battery for half an hour and ran the alignment again and it found the stereo and removed the CANCHECK error, bonus.

But, the radio doesnt pick up any stations, and the CD player plays a CD but does not give any sound output. As mentioned above the speakers are wired and powered as there is a hiss when you turn the volume up. Also, even though i have completed the alignment it sometimes resets itself back to CANCHECK and the software shows it as missing, meaning I have to realign again.

So. Could it be that this head unit is duff or could it be there is a bad connection somewhere in the wiring loom? Is this something that anyone else has experienced?

Would like to get this fixed now as I have had no music in the car for the month and half that I have owned it.
Well in answer to my own question, it needed a replacement stereo.

Bought one from eBay for £25, with the added MP3 function. Works perfect.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts