Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I apologize for starting a new thread, but I'm desperate and need to sort this out 😔😔😔
Sunday I changed oil, filters and spark plugs...

Anyway replaced everything and decided to do the ECU reset procedure of the Self learned Parameters with the MES. After that everything was reset to zero (fuel trims, throttle body learning parameters, ect).

The car runs great and feels strong already from 1500 rpm, even the N mode feels way much quicker, but the car has developed a problem!!! Occasionally the engine has problems catching the idle and it it will fluctuate between 500-1000 rpm. This happens only in neutral... The throttle response is very good though.

Did I do anything wrong during the process of self learning parameters time???

I did the reset and started driving the car almost immediately after the reset. Maybe I should have let her idle for some time before driving. According to MultiEcuScan there is a value from 0-7 for the throttle body learning parameters, where the 7 means the self learning was successful, but to me it shows a value of 11.

Can anyone confirm that you must let her idle before you start moving?Should I try to reset the ECU one more time? This is getting frustrating as at stops and go wen she behaves erratic!

Please help 🙏

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Only if you have a manual transmission....
Please pay exact attention to where your left foot is. The moment the clutch is not fully pressed, the revs will increase up to around 1100rpm, This helps with starting without the accelerator; particularly in stop and go!!!
Hence, please confirm with the car in neutral and foot off the clutch.

Other than that: no clue.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only if you have a manual transmission....
Please pay exact attention to where your left foot is. The moment the clutch is not fully pressed, the revs will increase up to around 1100rpm, This helps with starting without the accelerator; particularly in stop and go!!!
Hence, please confirm with the car in neutral and foot off the clutch.

Other than that: no clue.
Hi mru!
No, nothing like that....it happens in neutral with the foot completely off the clutch pedal 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hmmm!
I wouldn't worry about it too much.
I am fairly sure that it has nothing to do with the reset.
Also sure that H&S Corse will be able to correct it.
Take your wife/girlfriend and tell her the trip is just for her, while you drop the car off for a day or two. Public transport is great in Holland!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm!
I wouldn't worry about it too much.
I am fairly sure that it has nothing to do with the reset.
Also sure that H&S Corse will be able to correct it.
Take your wife/girlfriend and tell her the trip is just for her, while you drop the car off for a day or two. Public transport is great in Holland!
😅😂😂 I already told my wife about that...that was a mistake because she is refusing 😅...she knows exactly that the reason for the trip is the car😂. But Ill keep trying hard to convince her.

By the way today in hurry, because I have to drive to work now, i disconnected the battery for one hour, meanwhile I cleaned once more the MAF and MAP sensors and started the car... It did it again, than I did another reset and to my surprise the car started in a different way, different sound. Than I let her idle for a while and than drove for a couple of km. To my surprise she didn't behave anymore like that, the idle seems stable and the car pulling great. Full boost comes already way down in the rev range, exactly as it should 😊

Fingers crossed 🤞🤞🤞, hope she stays like that. Will see...

Probably was a problem in the first ECU reset🤷🏻‍♂️

Now that she runs great, I can only imagine how will be with the stage 1...very excited 😏🥰

·
Registered
Giuilietta veloce 1.4 multiair & Merc C180 coupe
304 Posts
Than again it was a short victory...
It has started again to do the same thing 😓
I’ve seen this before but not an Alfa. The base idle hadn’t been set correctly at the factory. Once you reset adaptions it can take a while for the ecu to compensate for it. The base idle could be set by adjusting the position of the throttle plate using feeler blades with the engine, ignition etc all switched off. That said as the ecu learns it will more than likely sort itself out.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve seen this before but not an Alfa. The base idle hadn’t been set correctly at the factory. Once you reset adaptions it can take a while for the ecu to compensate for it. The base idle could be set by adjusting the position of the throttle plate using feeler blades with the engine, ignition etc all switched off. That said as the ecu learns it will more than likely sort itself out.
I hope so🤞 coz it's driving me crazy 😔
Other than that the car runs beautifully

·
Registered
304 Posts
I hope so🤞 coz it's driving me crazy 😔
Other than that the car runs beautifully
Something you could take a look at if you haven’t already is to clean the throttle body. Obviously any crud build up can affect the air gap between throttle plate and body which the learning process may have compensated for before the reset.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Something you could take a look at if you haven’t already is to clean the throttle body. Obviously any crud build up can affect the air gap between throttle plate and body which the learning process may have compensated for before the reset.
Already done that last month and it was already almost clean 😔

·
Registered
304 Posts
Already done that last month and it was already almost clean 😔
Have you left it sat with engine idling without revving for any period of time? 10 to 15 mins or so. If you haven’t. Do the relearn again and allow it to idle for 10 to 15 mins before touching the throttle.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you left it sat with engine idling without revving for any period of time? 10 to 15 mins or so. If you haven’t. Do the relearn again and allow it to idle for 10 to 15 mins before touching the throttle.
To tell the truth the first two times I drove away almost after 5 minutes after reset was done.
Now i just carried out a new reset and I let her idle for about 20 minutes until the fans kicked in...than I drove for another 30 min or so...

For now it's all good, she has a stable idle..well a little bit of fluctuations but this is normal...has always had it...but not enough to make the idle needle move.

But this was also after the previous 2 resets and after sitting for a while she did it again...
Let's see if this time she keeps going properly

Also the conclusion is that immediately after resseting she runs fine...after sitting for some time she does it again 🤷🏻‍♂️😔😓

The status on MES shows as follows:
Throttle learning status: allowed
Throttle learning: complete
Throttle learning stage: 11

But MES states that the stage values should be from 0-7 where 7 means successful.
Why mine shows 11 (even befor the reset was alway 11)

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Fingers crossed then 🤞
Thanks mate but unfortunately after 45 minutes I had to drive to work...and it did it again...even though just once 😔😓

I have also noticed that when I log the car and let it idle the not touching the gas pedal...the values from the throttle also varies/fluctuates between 0.95% -0.28%

This is getting really frustrating...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You may be suffering from "Target fixation".

The problem you are having may not have anything to do with your ECU re-calibration but may be caused by something else. There may have been something on the way out, or an issue that may have recently started but now has come to light/shown up by the recalibration.

At any point it may help to look for causes other than the ECU or calibration that may be causing the issues.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You may be suffering from "Target fixation".

The problem you are having may not have anything to do with your ECU re-calibration but may be caused by something else. There may have been something on the way out, or an issue that may have recently started but now has come to light/shown up by the recalibration.

At any point it may help to look for causes other than the ECU or calibration that may be causing the issues.

Just a thought.
Good point here...but how can you find an issue that doesn't trigger the check engine light 🤷🏻‍♂️. It could be a hundred of things that could be disturbing the system...

I'm lost😓😔

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think its back to basics and make sure everything is intact and all connections are sound. Although the number 11 when you calibrate needs more looking into. Have you checked the TPS values with just the ignition on? Also can’t see your coolant temp on the screen shots. Have you confirmed that it is reading the correct temp?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think its back to basics and make sure everything is intact and all connections are sound. Although the number 11 when you calibrate needs more looking into. Have you checked the TPS values with just the ignition on? Also can’t see your coolant temp on the screen shots. Have you confirmed that it is reading the correct temp?
The Nr. 11 it is strange thought but it's always been like that.
With just ignition on it shows around 6%. First when you turn ignition on it's like 2.5% and after a few seconds it sets itself to 6%

The coolant temp was not clicked but it shows values...even thought when I cruise it jumps from 76-84-76 degrees

·
Registered
304 Posts
The Nr. 11 it is strange thought but it's always been like that.
With just ignition on it shows around 6%. First when you turn ignition on it's like 2.5% and after a few seconds it sets itself to 6%

The coolant temp was not clicked but it shows values...even thought when I cruise it jumps from 76-84-76 degrees
So with the throttle in the closed it shows 6% and the full open reads?
Normal operating temp is usually In the region of 90 degrees. I take it the figures you are seeing tally up with what you would expect and what the gauge is showing?

1 - 20 of 192 Posts