Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is probably a stupid question and completely impractical but I have a 1999 156 with a sunroof - this car is due to be scrapped due to terminal rust and ecu failure. I replaced it with a 2003 156 which sadly doesn't have a sunroof. So my stupid question is how hard is it for a body shop to swap a roof? I'd imagine fitting a new sunroof isn't practical after market. I really miss a sunroof in my newer 156.
So let the mocking begin... I guess I'll have to stick with a full roof!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is probably a stupid question and completely impractical but I have a 1999 156 with a sunroof - this car is due to be scrapped due to terminal rust and ecu failure. I replaced it with a 2003 156 which sadly doesn't have a sunroof. So my stupid question is how hard is it for a body shop to swap a roof? I'd imagine fitting a new sunroof isn't practical after market. I really miss a sunroof in my newer 156.
So let the mocking begin... I guess I'll have to stick with a full roof!
Mine doesn't have one either. I suspect letting someone loose on the car with a tin opener and a tube of sealer is not a good idea. Unless it's factory fitted I'd be wary!

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I used to be a coachbuilder...

So from my perspective remove old sunroof ( there also may be supports a non sunroof car won't have)

Cut a hole and fit new sunroof.

It will require the services of a coachbuilder or a bodyshop/mechanic that can do it and an auto trimmer for the roof lining.

If its powered add an auto electrician to the list

I have personally fitted several windows to luton/transit vans and it's pretty straightforward.

Measure twice cut once and go easy and slowly with the window beading, seals and glass.

It won't be cheap though.

Budget somwhere between 1 and 2k..basically you have got to really want tgat sunroof!

G

·
I saw this question on a Ford forum a few years back. The suggestion then was to cut out the full roof of the car with the sunroof and swap the whole thing into the one without.

However, it is a precision job involving front and rear screens out and a hell of a lot of skill.

It'd be cheaper to chop in the one without a sunroof for one fitted with one properly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts