Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a few saloon/coupes around don't have one, but what is the thinking behind it? looks? Weight reduction, Cost reduction?

I'd quite happily have one to wipe the dribble from the roof off! :rolleyes:

What ya recon?

·
Registered
38,249 Posts
Probably down to cost and weight, but also it would spoil the cars looks.

Most Saloon cars come without rear wipers. They always have done for some reason.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Saloon booted design, considered to deflect the air away from the rear screen, and therefore not deemed as essential? Sportwagens and hatchbacks, rear end suckers??:D

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'd go along with the idea that it would spoil the lines of the car, the rear window dries off soon enough anyway so it doesn't bother me.

Look at it this way, it would only be another motor/switch/fuse to go wrong, so we're probably better off without it.

·
Banned
2 Posts
the last saloon car i can think of with a rear wiper was the mitsi evo 5 and every time you accelerated all the water from you windscreen washer bottle decided the rear deck lid was the place to be and by the time you wanted to clean the windscreen NO water if the japs cant get it right what were the chances with alfa especially considering water and electricity were involved !!

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Same with the 166 ! Just don't need one.

As ZF said, it's the hatches & estates that need these wipers. Mind you, couldn't work out how to fit one on a saloon.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
And the 155 too. They just don't get that dirty. That is if you wash your car reasonably regularly.:lol:

·
Registered
38,249 Posts
I have a Bidet (Rear wash+wipe :rolleyes: ) on my Coupe.

I was thinking of taking it off. it is next to useless and looks ugly.

·
Registered
32,440 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've found even hatches vary. Some barely need a wiper, whereas my Golf (until my 159 arrives at Christmas) needs the wiper on continual intermittent on wet roads. Maybe Halfords should bring back mudflaps. And I'll grow a mullet again.

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,489 Posts
if the rain is landing on your back window, your not going fast enough ;)

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Well not wanting to appear at all controversial, would I ever, I personally found the coating that Rainex puts on the front screen, went slightly opaque with the abrasive effect of the wiper blades!:rolleyes: So, I removed the stuff with some intensive glass cutting fine abrasive, back to an as was situation. What Nev said is fine for side and rears probably, and the wife applied the remains of the bottle I had, for the house windows! Great, the bird crap is easier to shift as is the muck in general.:):

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Is it because 156's are so fast you have no need to look in your rear view mirror :confused: :thumbs:

N

·
0 Posts
Well not wanting to appear at all controversial, would I ever, I personally found the coating that Rainex puts on the front screen, went slightly opaque with the abrasive effect of the wiper blades!:rolleyes: So, I removed the stuff with some intensive glass cutting fine abrasive, back to an as was situation. What Nev said is fine for side and rears probably, and the wife applied the remains of the bottle I had, for the house windows! Great, the bird crap is easier to shift as is the muck in general.:):

Quite right ZF, it is rubbish for the windscreen. ;)

·
Registered
809 Posts
the last saloon car i can think of with a rear wiper was the mitsi evo 5
My '93 Orion Ghia had one. :thumbs:

Dunno if this was around the same time (or Earlier/Later) as the Evo V???

Wasn't really a lot of use though, because the rear screen "Curve" just let the rain run off.

The Hatch/Estate theory is correct, in that the (relatively square) rear end causes a vortex that "Sucks" the $h1t£ to the screen.

Saying that, I don't really ever use the one on the 147, except the fact it comes on automatically when you select reverse.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts