Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mum has an iPad and wants to be able to print from it. There is a printer in the house and it is attached to my Dad's computer that has a windows OS.

I did a quick search and Apple tell me that she is likely to need an airport express to facilitate this.

Assuming that's the right widget, how does it all work? Does everything need to plug in to each other using wires, is there some wi-fi witchcraft involved, or a bit of both?

The iPad bit looks as though it has been designed to be fairly simple. Is any software required on Dad's computer? It has iTunes installed, any good? Hashtag clueless.

I can't tell you what generation or version she has until I go back to their house.

I suppose I could always just go to the Apple store and ask them....

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
The airport express is one way to go but they're not cheap.

You could buy two cheap wifi capable printers for the price which will connect straight to the iPad.

I take it the present printer is not wifi capable?

A work round is for your mother to send the document to your fathers email address and then he prints it for her. There are many ways to work around the issue.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
The airport express is one way to go but they're not cheap.

You could buy two cheap wifi capable printers for the price which will connect straight to the iPad.

I take it the present printer is not wifi capable?
The printers don't have to be wifi they can be standard lan but just have to be AirPrint capable. I have a b&w lexmark laser that's AirPrint capable. Was about £40 IIRC

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Just buy a cheap wireless/wifi printer.

Cheap laser printer, black and white, if that's all you need, I have a Samsung ML ****. It's bullet proof.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies, chaps.

I think a new, wifi enabled, printer would be the answer here.

Verbout, what printer is it that you have?

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
My Samsung has long been discontinued.

Is your mother happy with B&W printing? If so search Amazon for "Wireless laser printer" and select "price low to high" and you'll get a selection.

The prices start at under £30. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
My Samsung has long been discontinued.

Is your mother happy with B&W printing? If so search Amazon for "Wireless laser printer" and select "price low to high" and you'll get a selection.

The prices start at under £30. Ridiculous.
Wireless doesn't necessarily mean it is AirPrint capable - usually is but make sure you check. Note if it also has LAN and it is physically possible to wire it to your router then do so. It will remove potential wireless instability and dhcp issues. It is still possible to AirPrint to a wired printer.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Wireless doesn't necessarily mean it is AirPrint capable - usually is but make sure you check. Note if it also has LAN and it is physically possible to wire it to your router then do so. It will remove potential wireless instability and dhcp issues. It is still possible to AirPrint to a wired printer.

I know, when I use the term wireless I use it in a general sense encompassing LAN and AirPrint.

Starkers will pick the bones out of it I'm sure:thumbup:

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
That's a good point....what does Starkers mother need to print?

I screen capture quite a lot on the iPad and send the photo as an attachment.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Or screen shot it and use the square with a vertical arrow to message or email it. Symbol is at the top and over to the right.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Bought one (Air Printer) off eBay from Bolton as it turned out, last year £12. Fits in a pulldown drawer under the TV. Fantastic :thumbs:

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's a good point....what does Starkers mother need to print?

I screen capture quite a lot on the iPad and send the photo as an attachment.
It would probably be e-mails and the occasional photograph - I suspect she would want the photographs to be in colour too.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I've got an Epson and there is an app(Epson iPrint) which makes printing (and other stuff, e.g. scanning) a doddle from any iphone, ipad, etc. I got the XP-620 as it is a Which? best buy too. You can also print by emailing the printer, I send pics to my mums printer from my iPhone of her grandson which she loves.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Not an echo but clarification with extra details for those who might not realise how to do it.
Hee, hee, hee, went for my dangling bait:teacher::thumbup:

Don't know what your reply has to do with melting butter though:lol:

·
Vendor
46,135 Posts
Get a dropbox account on the PC, download the dropbox app for the iPad. Move whatever she needs to print onto dropbox on the iPad (one click), then in a minute it'll be waiting in the dropbox folder on the PC.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts