Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After my last poor experience with an Epsom, I made the move to HP.

Up until last week, I've been quite happy, the printer is great and the inks are much cheaper.

My model is a HP ENVY blah blah, so when I was in Morrisons the other day and saw a reasonably priced HP ENVY Black Cartridge, I bought it.

The size is the same; it fits perfectly in the holder that houses the cartridge, and it even re-aligned itself when i closed the covers.

And yet I received a message saying: "Cartridge is incompatible with this printer".

I'd failed to notice that the cartridge was the 300, rather than the 301 model.

So, as well as other numerically named models, HP have a specific printer range called "ENVY", that has incompatible ink cartridges, within this range.

Well done.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
After my last poor experience with an Epsom, I made the move to HP.
In other news, a man who accidentally nailed his hand to a piece of wood has explained that chopping his legs off is just as painful.

HP are the worst of the lot. Epson are normally OK, but Canon are better than both. Getting a laser is the best option unless you are using it for photos.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In other news, a man who accidentally nailed his hand to a piece of wood has explained that chopping his legs off is just as painful.

HP are the worst of the lot. Epson are normally OK, but Canon are better than both. Getting a laser is the best option unless you are using it for photos.
haha, that was quite funny :)

But I genuinely had a bad experience with Epson.

HP's inks are much, much cheaper, but it seems they can dupe you with vague labeling of their inks.

If they have to have a model name, at least make it compatible with stuff labelled as such.

·
Registered
37,513 Posts
I have had bad experience with Epsom and Lexmark.

The Canon I had for a while lasted well and this cheapo HP one is going strong despite getting a hammering.

Which reminds me I need new ink as well.

Mine is a HP Deskjet 1512 with built in scanner, i only paid about £25 for it.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
HP's recent printers have an app which tells you exactly what to buy.

If you print quite a lot, HP also have a service for a fixed price per month where they automatically send you more ink before you run out. If you are printing close to 50 pages per month, it may be worth it.

·
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
440 Posts
You have my sympathy.

I had nothing but trouble with ink-jet printers, and have refused to own one for a decade now: too slow, hopelessly unreliable and really expensive to run. Nowadays I just have two trusty old 'workhorses' that do all the printing for my business and family too - a Samsung duplex mono laser that goes at 28 pages per min and costs about 3p per page, and a Samsung duplex colour laser (20 ppm, costs 10p per page) which also has a brilliant scanner. I do also have a tiny dye sublimation printer for those rare occasions when I need 'lab quality' professional glossy photos, although the colour laser does a surprisingly good job with photos too.

I guess I'm printing about 1500 pages a month altogether, which is probably more than most home users...

·
Administrator
23,027 Posts
I have an Epson 405 which gets through ink like it is going out of fashion.

I was going to replace it when I saw online 20 ink cartridges (8 x black and 4 each of magenta, yellow and blue) for £8.99 posted. I thought what the hell I can afford to lose that so bought them.

Guess what? - they work fine. They won't last long but at that price so what. When inserted you get dire warning messages which you have to override but only when you first load them.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Just picked up an HP6830 for £8 or so at an auction - and of course no ink.....trying to decide if worth paying £15 for some generic cartridges for it......Only bought it to give milady's son 'cos he's forever coming round to us to print stuff.....Our everyday printer is a Canon - again auction bought, but that cam with ink - although we're now on the second batch......printer ink truly is one of the most expensive substances known to man.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Saw in Sainsbury's this morning an HP printer for £35 (discounted from £50). At that price it is hardly worth buying replacement cartridges. Just replace the printer. How illogical can it be?

·
Registered
37,513 Posts
The problem with that is that the cartridges supplied with the new printer are often a lot smaller in capacity than the ones you buy afterwards.

The cartriges for my HP cost £17 for a pair on ebay (one colour, one black), the printer is nearly £30

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
HP's recent printers have an app which tells you exactly what to buy.

If you print quite a lot, HP also have a service for a fixed price per month where they automatically send you more ink before you run out. If you are printing close to 50 pages per month, it may be worth it.
I do HP instant ink £3.49 a month for 100 pages and any unused ones get carried over to the next month. I got sick of looking for good prices for the cartridges for my old Dell printer off EBay. Done it for a year now and so far it's worked out really well

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Go and buy a Laser, you'll never look at a ink printer ever again. I get 4000:£30 toner. Ok a full set is £180, but it just pays for it self.

Ink is more expensive then rocket fuel.

·
Administrator
45,312 Posts
I switched the a colour laser printer last year, and very happy with it. On the right paper, the photo output is a tiny bit less good than a top inkjet printer, but good enough for anything but putting on the wall.

And I won't have the massively irritating issues with clogging up jets.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I'm with Nev. Moved to a laser printer a couple of years ago. No dry cartridges. Simples

·
Administrator
45,312 Posts
To update this topic - I bought my colour laser printer in October 2016. I bought a new Black toner cartridge for it in September 2018. I need to buy Magenta and Yellow now (and might as well get Cyan too as that's rather low).

So that means, due to the price of toner, it will have cost me just under £200 in 3.5 years. The black which was replaced in 2018 shows as 90% full, so that suggests the original cartridges were low capacity, as is standard in the industry. So will probably be a 4 year gap or more before we next have to buy further supplies. And in that time, no clogged heads, no dry cartrdges, no cleaning and alignment programs having to be run through which use up half your ink.

Given that our infrequent usage has always meant that with an inkjet every time we use it we piddle £50 worth of ink up the wall trying to get the heads clean I'm very happy with this.

·
Registered
66 Posts
wish I'd seen this back in October when I bought a new Epson ink jet, on my 4th pack of ink since we got it, just switched away from genuine because it seemed to be evaporating , every time I turn it on it says low ink. Strangely all 4 run out at the same time!!

·
Registered
638 Posts
I use refillable cartridges. They are available for most mainstream printers (HP, Epson, Canon etc). Bulk ink prices vary from bog standard generic inks to high-end photographic ones.

I use PermaJet, as they work well with my printer profiles.

Buying cartridges is ludicrously expensive and refilling your own is considerably more cost effective

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've had a few Epson inkjets over the years and most have suffered blocked jets. The small (A3 or A4) ones are very expensive to run. When my 2100 finally blocked terminally just when I needed it most, I bought an Epson Stylus Pro 3800 A2 printer. It's big and heavy but uses much bigger cartridges which work out at less than a third of the price per ml. I've had it well over 10 years and it only gets intermittent use, but it has never clogged and produces beautiful photo prints. I would never buy another small inkjet printer. If you're only printing mono pages a laser makes much more sense. I have a Brother laser printer which cost less than the price of a replacement toner cartridge and drum!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts