Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Later model (not facelift) 156 GTA with low miles (~50k), a little rust on front wing, a small dent on the back, scuffed drivers seat and flickering computer screen.
Suspension, differential, brakes and exhaust are stock. Recent new clutch and cam belt.

Asking £12k.

I am not viewing the car till later this week, but wondering what would be a decent price to offer.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
574 Posts
Upgraded diff fitted? Seems strange if a new clutch was fitted but nothing done for the diff which is typically seen as a necessity with the GTA's. Given the current economic climate I would think a few grand less than the asking price. When I sell cars I tend to work with a mindset to take off 10 to 15% off my asking price, and that is without asking top dollar in the first place. So I would think no more than 10. I don't really know what sort of price they are going for in the UK, but if there was one in NZ it would have to be in pretty top condition to be worth anything like what is being asked.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The flickering centre computer thingy is nothing to worry about. All the mk 1.5 156 will have it fade in sunlight.

I fitted a facelifted one (it is shorter than the original) to my car and it's readings are way off anyway.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies but seller didn't accept my initial offer. Thought he would at least discuss it. No such luck.

I'm CRAVING a 156GTA.... :-(

·
Registered
104 Posts
What about a GT with the 3.2 engine?

Would be far cheaper to buy, although I'd say all Busso would have similar running costs.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depends on year and mileage, although I've never quite liked the front of the GT.

Do you have one for sale?

There was a nice blue one for sale a few weeks ago, but it seems to have sold...

·
Registered
104 Posts
There's a black GT 3.2 on Autotrader right now. 07 plate with 51k miles on it. Just under 8k... Or there is a riskier one for 2.5k with 109k miles.

I don't find the GT a looker either but it's interior is nice, essentially it's the 147 interior.

I think GTA are rising in price like all Busso engined cars. Also correct me if I'm wrong but facelift GTA don't exist do they? They were only ever produced in facelifted interior but original exterior?

Would offer my 3.0 conversion 156 but I think I'd want to keep it as long as I can!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure about the GT, tbh.

Alfa never updated the GTA to the Giugiaro design , fortunately.

GTA prices are definitely high right now. Guess I may have to wait and watch.

What made you put a 3.0litre Busso in a 156? Does it have the GTA body?

·
Vendor
45,944 Posts
I have a nice blue GT 3.2 for sale, its not yet advertised because I haven't had time to polish it & photograph it, but it does need to go.

Chiaia di luna, black leather, reconditioned 18" jet-fins, new Uniroyal Rainsports all round, freshly serviced & MOT'd in March, nice clean GT without any of the usual sill damage. Standard specification, totally unmodified, £5k.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If I was getting another Busso I'd probably go for the 3.2 personally simply as it's the newest.

Can't see GTA prices decreasing, I'm sure when I bought my 156 years ago there were GTA going for 5k or even less... There are some GTA on eBay for just under 10k but one is Selectaspeed and the other is a Sportwagon which some might prefer.

PM me about mine if you want to know about it, don't want to clog up the thread with off topic stuff!

·
Vendor
45,944 Posts
Alfa never updated the GTA to the Giugiaro design , fortunately.
I have two facelifted 156 GTA saloons, one which is my track weapon and the other which is a nicely sorted road car. I bought them both done like that by previous owners.

I also have a nicely sorted 156 GTA Sportwagon with its original front end still intact - my favourite by far of the 3.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have two facelifted 156 GTA saloons, one which is my track weapon and the other which is a nicely sorted road car. I bought them both done like that by previous owners.

I also have a nicely sorted 156 GTA Sportwagon with its original front end still intact - my favourite by far of the 3.
Didn't know that Alfa did the GTA in a facelifted 156.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Didn't know that Alfa did the GTA in a facelifted 156.

They didn't, but owners managed to re-create the facelift look themselves. I suppose if you can get the parts and are handy with the spanners, and a bit patient, it could be done fairly easily. Certainly rare (y) Here's one I saw earlier...:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
I have a nice blue GT 3.2 for sale, its not yet advertised because I haven't had time to polish it & photograph it, but it does need to go.

Chiaia di luna, black leather, reconditioned 18" jet-fins, new Uniroyal Rainsports all round, freshly serviced & MOT'd in March, nice clean GT without any of the usual sill damage. Standard specification, totally unmodified, £5k.

View attachment 936905
In a way the best choice out of the 147/156/GT range nowadays if you 'just want a Busso', same engine, most of the same parts, still affordable and you have 1000+ other GTs to nick parts off. Looks great... (y)

Reactions: Negativvv

·
Registered
104 Posts
In a way the best choice out of the 147/156/GT range nowadays if you 'just want a Busso', same engine, most of the same parts, still affordable and you have 1000+ other GTs to nick parts off. Looks great... (y)
I note the GT 3.2 is rated at 237 bhp vs the GTA 3.2 at 247 bhp, what is the difference between them other than the GTA intake manifold?

I would be encouraged to get a GT now if it is Busso I wanted and had not entered ownership yet but even they are starting to rise in value. GT is a little ugly looking as it's a bit too slab sided, it looks big and heavy even though in reality it probably is about the same as a 156. It has the 147 interior which is nicer than even the facelifted 156 IMO, plus most of them seem to have big chunky sports seats even if arguably the original 156 leather seats look the coolest.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They didn't, but owners managed to re-create the facelift look themselves. I suppose if you can get the parts and are handy with the spanners, and a bit patient, it could be done fairly easily. Certainly rare (y) Here's one I saw earlier...:D
I prefer the de Silva design for the GTA. The Giugiaro design of that era looked a bit generic with the 3 circle arrangement of headlamp, if you know what I mean.

Irrespective of what it looks like, the GTA is extremely special. I'm tempted to just go for a very high mileage one (if the seller will let it go at a sub 7k price!) ....

·
Registered
104 Posts
I prefer the de Silva design for the GTA. The Giugiaro design of that era looked a bit generic with the 3 circle arrangement of headlamp, if you know what I mean.

Irrespective of what it looks like, the GTA is extremely special. I'm tempted to just go for a very high mileage one (if the seller will let it go at a sub 7k price!) ....

All the facelifts don't do it for me either.

The GTV facelift is borderline ugly!

At this point I'd go for something in the best possible condition, apologies if you already know but even a well running Busso won't be cheap to run. There is a 147 GTA on the classified section here but no price and the looks of it might not work for you.

·
Vendor
45,944 Posts
I note the GT 3.2 is rated at 237 bhp vs the GTA 3.2 at 247 bhp, what is the difference between them other than the GTA intake manifold?

I would be encouraged to get a GT now if it is Busso I wanted and had not entered ownership yet but even they are starting to rise in value. GT is a little ugly looking as it's a bit too slab sided, it looks big and heavy even though in reality it probably is about the same as a 156. It has the 147 interior which is nicer than even the facelifted 156 IMO, plus most of them seem to have big chunky sports seats even if arguably the original 156 leather seats look the coolest.
There are no differences in the engines themselves - all internal components are the same. All mechanical running gear as the same. Its either ECU software, or simply marketing. I've never noticed GTs to be any slower than GTAs so I suspect just simple marketing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There are no differences in the engines themselves - all internal components are the same. All mechanical running gear as the same. Its either ECU software, or simply marketing. I've never noticed GTs to be any slower than GTAs so I suspect just simple marketing.
So essentially the GTA engines only differ by having this?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Could just get a 156 with the 2.5. Authentic engine displacement, same as when the engine originally came out. Plenty around, cheap. Less chance of head gasket failure, blowing diffs and the like. All while retaining most of the sound and revving characteristics of the 3.2 versions. Keeps the good looks, and functionality of 4 doors over the GT. Slightly shorter ratio gearbox over a 156 GTA I believe too?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts