Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallo there Alfisti,
I need some info on preventative maintenance please. (2L 16V)
What I need to know is the following as I do most routine maintenance myself:
1)Does the cyl head need to be torqued periodically like the older engines? If so what Nm and the sequence if possible.
2)At what intervals do I change gearbox oil?
3)At what interval change the fuel filter?
4)At what intervals change the micro filter of the aircon system?

Thanks
Jacques

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Jacques

This is the 1996 schedule for 2.0 16v:

Gearbox oil is not on the schedule and is supposed to last the life of the box (some argue this!) but the level is checked every 48 and 96k

Fuel filter - 48 and 96k

Think the aircon filter should be done every year or when performance drops!

Air filter every 24k

Checking/tightening head bolts is not part of the service schedule and don't think they need checking. Is this anything to do with them being "stretch" single use bolts???

If anyone wants the full schedule I'll post the lot.........when I've got an hour or three eek!

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I have assumed that, thanks.
24K is very long for a poor air filter, isn,t it? Not a problem for me though, got a K&N.

By the way, is the cyl head gasket then reliable on this engine, or do they also have the leaking O-rings of the old aluminium motor?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Jacques

Not heard of any problems with the head gasket but you can experience the rocker cover leaking into the very deep plug chamber causing problems with arcing on the plugs and hesitation/misfires.

Think the 8v's have the problem with head gaskets..........gets ready for incoming eek! eek!

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
eh what !!! First we have poor handling low powered cars..........then we have minging head gaskets !!! Whatever next ???? Bet someone suggests that the early cars are skinnier than the widebodys.......... wink wink

I'm wondering if I should have bought the 16 valver and took the hit on belt replacement :confused:

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
make your oil changes regular some customers always have it changed every 6000 miles no matter what the schedule says i think its a good idea myself also to make you head gasket last a bit longer use a realy good quality antifreeze with anti corrosion stuff in it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What have I done?? WW3 is gonna start here! Good job I drive a V6 now which sounds better than both :D ........I'll get me coat eek!

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

Forget about WW3 for now.

England leads Brazil 1 to 0. Good luck you guys!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Jimmybob,
Yeah the V6 does "tick" a bit, but when you plant your right foot, there's no other sound like it, and it 'll see of you twin spark boys!!

All the best!! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Jacques
Apart from restarting the usual war on the Forum you’ve got some good advise. One thing of importance, though, change timing- and balancing shafts belts every 60k-80k km (40k-50k miles, I don’t know who you count, down your way). If you haven’t got any documentation on when this was done, do I ASAP, as it’s a major disaster when all 16 valves hits the pistons. When behind the front engine cover check the belt pulleys, as well, they come in black, which are rubbish, and in white, which replaced the blacks, which are said to be all right.
The head bolts are of the stretch – only use once type and can’t be retighten. The head gasket of 16vs have no history of leaking – the engine and head is of a different design than the 8vs or North engine, with roots back to 1954 and other than leaking heads are rock solid.
Alfisti regards
Erik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wrinx

Didn't someone say the extra weight of the V6 means it doesn't handle as well as the 16 V's.
Also you don't have to stop to fill up with petrol every couple of hours!!! :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, about 23-25 mpg is not good on the wallet. Handlings something you get used to, especially with the new Eibachs fitted :) Drove Henry's modified 2.0 last night and it felt so much lighter, very different feel between the two cars. Got used to mine so it feels a bit more "planted" but the lighter rear took some getting used to.

But the sound................ :) :) :)

This is beginning to sound like the 16v verus 8v post recently, they are all great no matter which one you own, and I love 'em all wink

Am I forgiven now :D

wrinx

·
Registered
715 Posts
I was wondering if I should try Earl Grey Tea instead of Agip Racing oil. Will this make my car last longer?
Shall I just replace the oil filer with a teabag and top it up with boiling water!!!!
It would be cheaper!

Overheating 155...... espresso coffee machine.....

wink :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts