Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I take the 147 to a hand car wash. They are always good, but this time there was a different bloke working.

Anyway, when I got back he said "Have you had your windscreen replaced?" Of course alarm bells ring in my head. :irked:

So he has run his pressure wash over the car twice and it penetrated the windscreen surround and leaked into the car. I notice that he has only used pressure, as there is still dirt on the paint in places, not wiped.

So now I'm looking for another wash place or even washing it myself. Could be time for a new windscreen seal.

Any suggestions?

Alex.

PS - There are some guys in the supermarket car park who hand wash, using very little water at all. They just have these little trolleys. I was thinking of paint scratches?

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Wash it yourself!

It doesn't take long, and you can be 100% sure that you're not dragging a grit-laden swirl making sponge/mitt over the paintwork.

Get yourself a pair of buckets, a bottle of car shampoo, a microfibre wash mitt, and a microfibre towel to dry off with.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I would suggest washing it yourself too. There's lots of helpful advice here:
Car Detailing - Alfa Romeo Forum

but be careful you don't get caught up in the world of detailing. It can become a bit obsessive and you will end up taking photographs of particularly exciting water beading. As I did ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys,

OK, we live in a period house with no driveway and a busy street outside. I have a lock up (5 miles away) for the m/bikes but no water supply or electric. I have to take a jerry can of water to the lock up for washing the bikes.

That's the reason for using a hand wash place.

First stop is getting it pressure washed somewhere else and looking for the leak. The crap wash guy said it was the windscreen seal but that there was water on the front seat? I'm thinking he'd opened the window a crack or something. The car has never leaked before.

Another thing I could do is take it to Morrisons jet wash, soap it up by hand from my own buckets and just use their power rinse. I've learned from experience to avoid their mop thingy. I would still need the jerry can though, as Morrisons doesn't have a tap for customers.

This is a very small thing Alfa wise, so apologies for the fuss.

Alex.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,168 Posts
FFS! Wash your loved one yourself. Do you get a bloke down Tesco to make love to you wife!?

Just find a way around it, work, relative, friend? Someone can help you out surely?

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
FFS! Wash your loved one yourself. Do you get a bloke down Tesco to make love to you wife!?

Just find a way around it, work, relative, friend? Someone can help you out surely?
A man from Tesco no, but Waitrose maybe.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
934 Posts
I think power washers are a waste of time for cars... by the time you have un-wound all the cables plugged in the hose and found the detergent, you would have already washed it using two buckets worth of water and some car shampoo... plus the amount of water wasted with a power washer ...

I dont bother with my power washer except for cleaning up the drive and then my back hurts for two days.... bah :(

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
I think power washers are a waste of time for cars... by the time you have un-wound all the cables plugged in the hose and found the detergent, you would have already washed it using two buckets worth of water and some car shampoo... plus the amount of water wasted with a power washer ...

I dont bother with my power washer except for cleaning up the drive and then my back hurts for two days.... bah :(
Yep:thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts