Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I have the sump off my 156, as I have traced my engine rattle to the bottom end. To be honest it was diagnosed by the nice chap from Italia Speed (Nr Newbury) .

Fingers crossed its just shells but I haven't got the rods apart to check yet. If it is just the shells apart from cleaning mating surfaces do I need to use any special lubricant between the shell and crank?

Most threads I have found bang on about the difficulty of getting the sump off (agreed!) but give little away when it actually comes to changing the shells!

Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Graphogen, sparingly. Will give lubrication prior to the oil itself getting there. Will darken your oil but not harm anything.

·
Registered
38,703 Posts
Most people seem to suggest that clean engine oil is perfectly adequate.

You can soak the shells in the oil for a while before you fit them, then squirt it on the big end journals before assembly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses people. I shall stick a proper thread together with some wonky pictures in it, when I get this job completed!

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I use a paste made of graphite grease ands engine oil. Seems to do the job.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another slightly daft question for you guys... I have measured the crank journals and the diameter and thickness of the bearing shells. The Journals are between 50.8mm and 50.7. The thickness of the shells seems to average out around 1.4 mm, maybe 1.45 mm in the centre and about 51.1mm across. Part number is 46738752 if your interested!

I was sent a pdf from my local Alfa dealer with about 6 different bearing sizes for the engine, seemingly ranging in thickness between 1.527 mmto 1.59mm. Does 50.8 sound like a standard crank size? If it is then I guess I am looking at the smallest size at 1.527mm and the fact that my shells appear skinnier is poossibly down to wear over 93k miles?

Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts