Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My Alfa 156 1.6 is up for MOT end of May and was wandering if there was any preprep I could do to help it pass and reduce the Mechanic bill!

Something like a bullet point check list would be ideal.:thumbs:

I do suspect there is a problem with Lambda sensor as I have the yellow engine dashboard light (which is either the key or lambda). My sidelights also do not work at the moment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, my seatbelt often gets jammed but is rather annoying that anything else, I assume this isn't part of the MOT though.

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
ok
Just hope they come out and back correctly during the test.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
fix sidelights

check ALL other lights

check clutch & brake pedal rubbers

driver window should be able to go down/up

airbag system needs to be operational

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
is ABS?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
airbags are not part of the UK MOT test.
i did realise it was a UK MOT question, just pointing out issue that tend to cause failure in IRISH NCT & assumed it transfer pretty well :cheese:

·
Registered
4,646 Posts

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
i did realise it was a UK MOT question, just pointing out issue that tend to cause failure in IRISH NCT & assumed it transfer pretty well :cheese:
So do you also replace the airbags when they reach their expiry date???

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
not that i'm aware of, the 10 year is recommended, afaik they are good for 15 years

do you?

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
not that i'm aware of, the 10 year is recommended, afaik they are good for 15 years

do you?
Obviously we don't replace them over here.
But if you are checking airbags and the sticker on the door says they have expired (a 156, GTV, etc will say 10-years), how can they possibly pass?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
no idea, i don't invent the ruels for NCT

D

·
0 Posts
Check all lights, check tyre depth is legal. Check whether handbrake is holding properly on a hill - not an exact test I know but .....
Oh and clean your car or at least dont take it in full of rubbish, shouldnt make any difference to test but I've always wondered whether making a good first impression helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
ABS and airbag lights are both checked. Testers have a list of what sequence the light should follow. If it doesn't do what it should do, that SHOULD be a fail. David is right in saying the ABS isn't tested, but the light must do what it's meant to do. To the best of my knowledge, if the airbag light is on, that's a fail too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts